canal bucket list?

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

On 14/10/2018 at 12:27, AllanD said:

Second the vote for the Caledonian Canal, did it in June this year. Beyond my expectations. 

Thirded.  Even better to do it end to end in your own boat. An experience we will never forget.

8 hours ago, lampini said:

Caledonian is on my list - but then so is the whole European canal system! Would love to hire a boat on the River Lot around Cahors way in France. It’s not accessible from the main system so hireboat is the way.. anyone done it? ?

It is on our list.

The Villaine, Aff and Nantes de Brest are worthy of a visit as well.

Belgium for us next though. So the Lot will have to wait.

I do quite fancy doing Amsterdam by boat. Hire boat though. There is no way we are taking our own boat there!

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Was that because you weren't ?

We both wore them all the time when on the move and in locks.

From memory we were sharing locks with a military training vessel Mutin which is probably why we didn't get one.

6 minutes ago, Ray T said:

I'v got this painted by Maurice Peasland but it doesn't appear to have a list.

IMGP3347.JPG

Float it in the canal with a tin of peas off centre,give it a little push, see where the Peas land.

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, AllanD said:

We got our gold stars.

Even though I am retired I got a bit envious of the kind lady working somewhere as beautiful as Kytra Lock. 

My Brother & Sister in Law both did, My Wife & I din't.

A 'childish' thing to do but it is a valid reminder & is one of the many 'memories of the Canal'.

On 15/10/2018 at 08:31, lampini said:

Caledonian is on my list - but then so is the whole European canal system! Would love to hire a boat on the River Lot around Cahors way in France. It’s not accessible from the main system so hireboat is the way.. anyone done it? ?

Sadly only on foot/car. Its lovely though.

As a suggestion, could I recommend the Rouge Canal, built circa 1390 just to the west of Nanjing. Unlike most Chinese canals, it was built purely for transport, and not for land drainage or irrigation. Only a few miles in length, it is called the Rouge Canal because it was cut through sandstone.

Rouge Canal.jpg

2 hours ago, Pluto said:

As a suggestion, could I recommend the Rouge Canal, built circa 1390 just to the west of Nanjing. Unlike most Chinese canals, it was built purely for transport, and not for land drainage or irrigation. Only a few miles in length, it is called the Rouge Canal because it was cut through sandstone.

Rouge Canal.jpg

Looks like they missed a bit just after the bridge. ?