canal bucket list?

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

All being well I will see the eight rise/six rise at Fonserranes on the Canal Du Midi in late October - In September I saw Ardnacrusha Lock on the Shannon (two-rise in hydro scheme, total fall 110 feet) and St Mullins Lock on the Barrow, both of which I'd known of for years and wanted to see. Had I made a bucket list of canal things to see these would almost certainly have been on them.

What else would peeps suggest should be on the list? Mine or yours? 

Might be interesting to do an obscure places bucket list as well - for example, should one make room to see what's left of the Pen Clawdd Canal? ;) 

(I've pretty much seen the highlights of England Wales and Scotland although not necessarily boated them)

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

All being well I will see the eight rise/six rise at Fonserranes on the Canal Du Midi in late October - In September I saw Ardnacrusha Lock on the Shannon (two-rise in hydro scheme, total fall 110 feet) and St Mullins Lock on the Barrow, both of which I'd known of for years and wanted to see. Had I made a bucket list of canal things to see these would almost certainly have been on them.

What else would peeps suggest should be on the list? Mine or yours? 

Might be interesting to do an obscure places bucket list as well - for example, should one make room to see what's left of the Pen Clawdd Canal? ;) 

(I've pretty much seen the highlights of England Wales and Scotland although not necessarily boated them)

The Tavistock canal is well worth a visit, a lovely walk.

48 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Bet the Corinth is nice too. Dr Bob? 

Most expensive canal in the world to go through ....per metre.

Quite stunning.

Kept thinking  Poseiden was going to appear both times when we went through....as per Jason and the Argonauts.

Cleaner than the GU.

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

For me it would be to poddle down to London and back again, while being able to stop wherever I want in the capital, like I could in the 80s.

Simple. 

Go buy a disposable £10000 boat. Take to London, fail to give a toss about people's reaction to your activities.

when your over reminiscing about how it was , put a badly written advert on eBay, and pass the problem on.

in our garage we have hundreds of photos from 1980 to 1987 of London as it was, little Venice new year gatherings, the trips from the shovel into battlebridge and the rest. One day when we get that house back I'll get them out and reproduce them.

i won't go back that way ever. I prefer my memories.

• Greenie 3

9 hours ago, Ray T said:

Something quite simple, having crossed the Pontcysyllte in a hire boat I would like to cross it in our own boat. 

About now in the year in my opinion is the best early start on a misty morning with it laying on the Dee it's more like flying than boating

Some good ideas - sorry to disappoint but I've already done the sewer! Went inside the northern outfall in Bow for on job, and walked over the Bow Back Rivers.... that's one for the bucket and chuck it list tho....

Tavistock is a good one, not to far and I'd like to see more of the SW waterways. Caledonian is one for Juno? 

Danube, plus China? 

The Douro looks a possible from nbDenise's pictures too.

Better plan on living a while yet  ?

Caledonian is on my list - but then so is the whole European canal system! Would love to hire a boat on the River Lot around Cahors way in France. It’s not accessible from the main system so hireboat is the way.. anyone done it? ?

2 hours ago, lampini said:

Caledonian is on my list - but then so is the whole European canal system! Would love to hire a boat on the River Lot around Cahors way in France. It’s not accessible from the main system so hireboat is the way.. anyone done it? ?

I have always fancied the Caledonian but swmbo will not allow boating holidays ☹️

• Sad 1