Farmers Field Moorings

dmr

Featured Posts

As a CCer I don't know much about moorings, but would like to know how CaRT handle Farmers Field Moorings.

If a farmer wanted to create a few moorings to be used by visiting boats for a month or two, would CaRT have to be paid only when the mooring was actually in use, or would a fee be payable all year round?

...................Dave

11 minutes ago, dmr said:

As a CCer I don't know much about moorings, but would like to know how CaRT handle Farmers Field Moorings.

If a farmer wanted to create a few moorings to be used by visiting boats for a month or two, would CaRT have to be paid only when the mooring was actually in use, or would a fee be payable all year round?

...................Dave

I think if a continuing changing series of boats moored temporarily on the farmer's frontage, CRT would stuggle to find anything to use to restrict the farmer. 

It only gets tricky when one the boats start claiming the mooring to be a home mooring for the purpose of the licence declaration, I'd suggest.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think if a continuing changing series of boats moored temporarily on the farmer's frontage, CRT would stuggle to find anything to use to restrict the farmer. 

It only gets tricky when one the boats start claiming the mooring to be a home mooring for the purpose of the licence declaration, I'd suggest.

But this hypothetical farmer will have to get CaRTs permission to create the mooring, and indeed pay CaRTs approved contractor an arm and a leg to do some dredging, but does not want to get a big annual mooring bill when the moorings are not in use.  Does boater pay CaRT directly, or do boaters pay farmer who then has to give money to CaRT???

..............Dave

3 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Did all this 11 years ago, its fraught with difficulties.

There is a phrase oft repeated by CRT after 1998   " there will be no new linear moorings allowed "

I am sure everytime I go past Golden Cap on the Shroppie that there are moor moorings, and I have seen a few new moorings created on the L&L towards Liverpool. I guess if its only one boat it gets to be an "end of Garden" mooring which is allowed.

................Dave

Ok how it used to work/works now.

In the old days I used to pay the farmer for use of his land and BW for use of the water. However I only had to pay BW when I was there, so I would buy a years O/S mooring in October and then get a refund at the end of March when I went off boating.

About 6 years ago BW did a lease deal with the farmer for the whole length and I now don't have to pay CRT but  have to pay the farmer for the full year for both land and water.

You may be able to get a FF mooring that still operates under the old system but I wouldn't hold my breath.

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My FF has been my home mooring for the last 25 years even when I was off for 6 months a year.

9 minutes ago, dmr said:

Does boater pay CaRT directly, or do boaters pay farmer who then has to give money to CaRT???

6 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

The latter, CRT deal with the farmer.

Actually it varies from mooring to mooring.

At one of the farm type moorings near us, you an inclusive price only to the landowner, and he pays CRT their cut, (in much the same way as you would if it were a marina).

However another requires you pay the EoG fee direct to CRT, and pay the landowner separately.

However, as Loddon suggests, these days, I can't See CRT agreeing to anything seasonal where the EoG fee only applies whilst boats are there, and they collect nothing while they are not.

Some years ago I recall an end-of-garden moorer relating that he gave up his mooring every spring when he went boating, and re-established it every autumn on his return home, so he only paid BW the EOG fee for half the year.  Not sure you could get away with that now!

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

There is a phrase oft repeated by CRT after 1998   " there will be no new linear moorings allowed "

Strange comment when CRT did not come into existence until 2012

On 12/10/2018 at 00:03, jam said:

Strange comment when CRT did not come into existence until 2012

I did post an explanation but it was one of the vanishing ones.

In 1998 it was BW of course, poor grammar on my part. CRT have carried on though. We set up our moorings on the farm 2007.  It was not easy, were threatened with section 8 several times but eventually BW just took the money from the farmer and we pay him.