Getting mail

chevron

Featured Posts

We are moving onto our boat shortly and need to somehow get our mail redirected and be able to collect it as we will not have an address.royal mail collect does not seem to help or work as we do not have an address as a last resort we could have it sent to a relative what do others do? 

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 22:15, Mike Hurley said:

Use family or a friend.

Just be careful if using friend or family as your 'registered' address.

If the home owner is getting any council tax reduction (single occupancy etc) then you being registered there can impact on their allowances.

A friend of ours lost her council tax reduction until she agreed to remove her son from 'living there'.

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You (or her) have been fortunate.

I am not on the electoral roll either so maybe that helps. I have just gone paperless at my bank, Santander, so i get very little mail. I think you can use other peoples address as a care of address as well. No impact on any council tax. There is a time limit on how many days people can spend at an address before tax comes into it i believe. I only visit UK 2-3 times a year anyway, for about 10 days each time.

Also be careful using a friend or relatives address for insurance purposes, particularly car.

They will often partly base their premium on the postcode you submit and will in the main expect the vehicle to be kept there not somewhere else that may be a higher risk that had they known about they may not have covered you or charged you more.

You will of course in most cases get away with telling them that is your 'real' address but if they get wind they will be in their rights to refuse a claim amount or even not pay out at all.

Edited by MJG

36 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just be careful if using friend or family as your 'registered' address.

If the home owner is getting any council tax reduction (single occupancy etc) then you being registered there can impact on their allowances.

A friend of ours lost her council tax reduction until she agreed to remove her son from 'living there'.

Also the winter fuel payment. If two or more claimants are registered at the same address the WFP is halved.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think there is normally a question (something like) "Where is the car normally kept"?

Yes correct.

But every time I've been asked that it normally gives three options and relates to over night parking.

1 - Garaged overnight.

2 - On driveway

3 - On the road. 

My car is insured at my sons address but when asked where the car is normally kept overnight I have my mooring address. They have no problem with that and both addresses are on my paperwork. Both are in the same postcode area.

45 minutes ago, Rickent said:

My car is insured at my sons address but when asked where the car is normally kept overnight I have my mooring address. They have no problem with that and both addresses are on my paperwork. Both are in the same postcode area.

Yes, quite often you won't have a problem, but that doesn't really change what I said, you do have to be careful which you clearly have been.

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You (or her) have been fortunate.

Very true! Hinckley and Bosworth did try to up my mums CT after a change in her circumstances (my dad died) cos that was my and the OH’s registered address. A phone call and a chat with a very sympathetic lady (“oh, you live on a boat - how wonderful!”) and the matter was sorted inc backdating very quickly.. 

depends which council you’re dealing with! 

13 hours ago, MJG said:

Yes, quite often you won't have a problem, but that doesn't really change what I said, you do have to be careful which you clearly have been.

Spot on, if you do not declare even the smallest thing to insurance companies they will have you by the short and curlys when you make a claim.

Car Insurance is a very thorny issue. We make a very clear declaration that our car is normally garaged in its garage at our house.  Our policy asks for address and garage details. We stick to that returning it to the garage rather than taking it with us when we boat, or even leaving it at our mooring.

if we need it we go and get it even from 40 or 50 miles away.

when I worked in insurance I saw the effects of improper disclosure. The case involved an insurance company turning down a claim, when someone had been injured. The criminal case was bad enough, but the civil case bancrupted the client.