Flue collar

Featured Posts

Hi, another rookie question!!! I have a wood burner (so I'm told) which has cracks all around the collar where it joins the top of the stove. Also, last winter it started leaking rain in through the top of the flue pipe somewhere. So, I've just got round to sorting things out for this winter. How do I remove the flue pipe from the collar on the top of the stove, should it 'simply' pull up all be it with a bit of gentle persuasion? At the moment it's not budging.

Im not sure if you mean the collar has cracked or just the sealant?

If the collar is on say a Morso Squirrel or (like my stove) a Little Wenlock the collar is fastened to the top plate by a couple of machine screws.

The flue can be a bit stubborn to shift out of the collar-I use whatever I have to hand. Small old chisels,hacksaw blades,multi tool etc to scrape,chip and remove as much fire cement as is possible while wiggling about.

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

Buy a new collar but don't use fire cement, it makes them crack.

Use this  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Envirograf-Silicone-Sealant-Heat-Proof-Only-Stove-High-Temperature-1250c-Black/232556810050?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Pack with a piece of fire rope first.

I’ve just used some of this myself and can recommend it highly! ?