Dolly Question

bmp

Featured Posts

Morning all ...

I have searched through the old posts but can't find the answer to this..... apologies if I haven't looked properly.

Why do some dollies have a nut or a stud on the top and some dont?   I have 2 on the back of my boat and one has a nut or a stud on the top and one doesnt. What is the stud bit for? 

Sorry if that is a stupid question !!

Not important - just wondering what it was for.

Thanks.

BMP

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You will probably find that the one with the 'nut' on top is actually a vent for the fuel tank and will contain a gauze to stop fire flash-back.

Glad I asked now - I would never have worked that out !!

Thanks both for the quick replies.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You will probably find that the one with the 'nut' on top is actually a vent for the fuel tank and will contain a gauze to stop fire flash-back.

Does the stud / nut like this ?

Image result for narrowboat mooring bollard with fuel vent

No mine just looks like a nut on the top and can't see any holes or vents.  I will have to look closer when I go back at the weekend.

Edited by bmp
typo ...

They often have two holes at 60 degrees to each other. It is good practice to ensure both holes are located (pointing forwards) in such a way that it will be more difficult for  water leaking through lock gates to get into the tank. If that is not possible then carry something like a cut off detergent bottle with no bottom that you can pop over the dolly when such water ingress is likely. (Tip given to me by a member of BCF).

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

They often have two holes at 60 degrees to each other. It is good practice to ensure both holes are located (pointing forwards) in such a way that it will be more difficult for  water leaking through lock gates to get into the tank. If that is not possible then carry something like a cut off detergent bottle with no bottom that you can pop over the dolly when such water ingress is likely. (Tip given to me by a member of BCF).

Looks like mine is pointing backwards. Can it be turned around?  If not I will take your advice on the detergent bottle.

7 minutes ago, bmp said:

Looks like mine is pointing backwards. Can it be turned around?  If not I will take your advice on the detergent bottle.

You could possibly take it out, put in a spacer (washer) the thickness of 1/2 a turn and put it back in and see if it them 'points' forward.

Try it and see - nothing lost (unless you drop it overboard)

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You could possibly take it out, put in a spacer (washer) the thickness of 1/2 a turn and put it back in and see if it them 'points' forward.

Try it and see - nothing lost (unless you drop it overboard)

Will try that next weekend and see if I can turn it around.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

29 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Some, but not yours, come with a lock nut. They are easy. Undo half a turn and tighten lock nut. I would see if I could find a soft sump plug washer to fit as per Alaan's post if mine were like yours.

Most flame arrestors in dollies seem to have a 1/2" BSP thread. This needs a washer 21mm across the inside diameter and 0.9 mm thick to turn it half a turn (0.825" major diameter and 14 threads per inch). https://www.connect-consumables.co.uk/product/36808 are 22mm ID and 1.5mm thick, but copper and should crush down to give half a turn of thickness. A friendly garage might give you one if you ask nicely.

Jen

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

I see your vent is painted. Need to be careful not to block the gauze when repainting.

No - it is just the photo not showing it up very well. It is still silver and not painted.  But good advice for the future. I am sure I would have just painted over it !

57 minutes ago, bmp said:

No - it is just the photo not showing it up very well. It is still silver and not painted.  But good advice for the future. I am sure I would have just painted over it !

And watch out for spiders nesting in the gauze, they can block the vent which can in turn cause a lack of air into the tank, as you use fuel in the engine. This can make an engine stop.

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Most flame arrestors in dollies seem to have a 1/2" BSP thread. This needs a washer 21mm across the inside diameter and 0.9 mm thick to turn it half a turn (0.825" major diameter and 14 threads per inch). https://www.connect-consumables.co.uk/product/36808 are 22mm ID and 1.5mm thick, but copper and should crush down to give half a turn of thickness. A friendly garage might give you one if you ask nicely.

Jen

Thanks Jen for the detailed reply ??

I am am glad I asked the “stupid” question now. 

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I have often covered deck fillers in leaky locks as a precaution  but never even given the vent a thought. Top tip that..

• Happy 1

6 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

And watch out for spiders nesting in the gauze, they can block the vent which can in turn cause a lack of air into the tank, as you use fuel in the engine. This can make an engine stop.

Not a big fan of spiders !! Will gladly evict any I find in there !

1 minute ago, BruceinSanity said:

Is there a way of fixing the beast in position immovably once pointing the right way, blob of weld, perhaps? If not, buying a locking filler cap is a waste of money...

Tis a very small diameter 'hole', no-way would you get even a small hose pipe-down there (microbore window screen washer pipe - maybe)

You could pour sugar or water down there if you were so inclined but it would be a slow job.

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Tis a very small diameter 'hole', no-way would you get even a small hose pipe-down there (microbore window screen washer pipe - maybe)

You could pour sugar or water down there if you were so inclined but it would be a slow job.

It will be about a 19mm hole, big enough for a 8-10mm hose.

Edited by Robbo

2 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Is there a way of fixing the beast in position immovably once pointing the right way, blob of weld, perhaps? If not, buying a locking filler cap is a waste of money...

As the breathers are usually brass and the dolly steel or cast iron not really. You could try Locktite.