Rocks......£1000 delivery charge per ton

MHS

Featured Posts

Is £20k to hire a helicopter from Aberdeen good value for money? 

Tonight on BBC’s Look North, CRT spent twenty grand in costs to air lift 20 maxi-bags of stone to a feeder reservoir for the HNC to protect an unspecified habitat. 

Good job they moved a toilet up there. A few humans adding to the sheep excrement would have tipped the balance of global warming!! 

6 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Seems pricey ,why the high cost?

because ticks, heather and grouse are far more important than boaters.

Blame nicknorman, he's the only one who ever mentioned helicopters on here.:D

Edited by matty40s

7 hours ago, MHS said:

Tonight on BBC’s Look North, CRT spent twenty grand in costs to air lift 20 maxi-bags of stone to a feeder reservoir for the HNC to protect an unspecified habitat. 

Bit misleading your wording as the maintenance wasn’t to protect an unspecified habitat, but to get the stone to the area.   As the reservoir is in the middle of nowhere how else would they do it!

Edited by Robbo

13 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Bit misleading your wording as the maintenance wasn’t to protect an unspecified habitat, but to get the stone to the area.   As the reservoir is in the middle of nowhere how else would they do it!

My wording is fine. The air lift was to protect the wildlife. 

Yes the stone was to make improvements to the reservoir which is fine. It may be “in the middle of nowhere” but there’s an A road 500m from it. They could have moved the stone way cheaper by Quad bike and trailer like a farmer would.  

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, MHS said:

My wording is fine. The air lift was to protect the wildlife. 

Yes the stone was to make improvements to the reservoir which is fine. It may be “in the middle of nowhere” but there’s an A road 500m from it. They could have moved the stone way cheaper by Quad bike and trailer like a farmer would.  

The reservoir is only accessible by foot and it’s not a field it’s the middle of the pennines.  Your wording was misleading as it could read that the stone was to protect the wildlife.

Edited by Robbo

I have lived in the Pennines for 25 years so are well aware of the terrain around upland reservoirs. There also appears to be a track adjacent to the spill way, to the east of the reservoir leading down to Blake Lee Lane. 

Edited by MHS
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, MHS said:

I have lived in the Pennines for 25 years so are well aware of the terrain around upland reservoirs. There also appears to be a track adjacent to the spill way, to the east of the reservoir leading down to Blake Lee Lane. 

Look a bit more on the track and you’ll see it’s nonexistent for a quad. If you’ve lived up here you’ll know using helicopter to deliver stuff on the remote Pennines is common and the suggestion of using a quad is stupid.

• Greenie 3

22 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Look a bit more on the track and you’ll see it’s nonexistent for a quad. If you’ve lived up here you’ll know using helicopter to deliver stuff on the remote Pennines is common and the suggestion of using a quad is stupid.

I know they use them regularly but generally for larger amounts of material to further from a road. I will bow to your superior knowledge. 

Do do they usually bring helicopters in from as far away as Aberdeen though? 

10 minutes ago, MHS said:

Do do they usually bring helicopters in from as far away as Aberdeen though? 

i am sure they would would have eliminated all other options.

It must be no ordinary helicopter . Even so £20k seems a lot for presumably one  days work ?

if you knew the area, as i do with it being 5-10mins up the road from my house, you’d know that A road is near the top of a bloody steep valley. in fact if you look on google maps at the car park overlooking March Haigh its called Buckstones, people paraglide from there its that steep. The track up from Blake Lee Lane is not suitable for quads either, its narrow, rutted and passable by bike if the weather is good.

lots of local moorland is SSSI, a few years ago they spent months helicoptering materials up near Holme Moss so its not a new concept

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

How many tonnes can a quad tow?

Not as many as a helicopter can carry?

How long would it for the lorries carrying the stone to be loaded up, driven to as close to the site as possible and then unloaded again, the stone loaded onto the quads and then transported to the site?

Not as quick as the helicopter flying it in?

How many people would the whole process take?

Quite  few more than the people required to fly in the stone be helicopter.

£20k might sound expensive to some but it doesn't take long to rack that up in man hours and plant hire time.

Beat me to it - my thoughts exactly

So how many local helicopters have under slung load ability and the pilots with experience to do it?

Flight time from aberdeen needs to be factored into the cost as well as the time to make the delivery runs.

£20k as previously mentioned probably less than the cost of moving the stuff by land.

Well I thought the film explained everything quite well! The rocks were moved from the road to the reservoir and they explained their reasoning for using the helo for that last leg. The only question remaining is why the helo was hired from Aberdeen and I suspect that's really quite an easy one to answer too.  Interesting clip though - thanks for posting it.

Just now, Sea Dog said:

Well I thought the film explained everything quite well! The rocks were moved from the road to the reservoir and they explained their reasoning for using the helo for that last leg. The only question remaining is why the helo was hired from Aberdeen and I suspect that's really quite an easy one to answer too.  Interesting clip though - thanks for posting it.

Probably the company who gave the most competitive quote for the job.

I can't imagine there are that many companies in the UK with the right helicopter for the job.

Moving stuff in this way isn't all that common place in the UK outside of the military.