Dogs

rawsondsr

Featured Posts

We have two JRTs. They have been boatified from nine week olds. They love it.

Dogs trust. Nah! Don't like 'em. We visited two locations looking to rehome. Interested in particular dogs on their web sites. They only show you the dogs they want to show you. Weenquired about the dogs we were interested in and we were palmed off by saying they weren't read yet for rehousing yet. We mamtioned as an alternative we may take on puppies if they had a litter coming in. We had to attend a course before going on the list. At our cost. We bought ours from a young lad whose Mum and Dad owned our dogs mum and dad. 

Tney have turned out to be good pets. 

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

I recall many years ago when we left our Yorkie with the father-in-law for two weeks. He was glowing about how much she had enjoyed her stay, how she’d completely settled into a routine with him. As we left he announced “I think you’ll have problems with her settling back with you, she’s been very happy here”. When we got her home she was straight into her usual routine, jumping into her bed, looking at the cupboard where we kept her treats etc.

When we informed abrupt Yorkshire F-I-L the following day about how happy she was back at home he harrumphed and said “Yes, well, very adaptable little dog that. Very adaptable.”

Just got back to the boat with Syd. He is acting a bit out of sorts but I'm sure he will be back to his usual self in a couple of days.

He had really settled in with Pierres and Helen. Guess he had assumed that we had given up on him like his previous three sets of owners. 

He was very excited to see us again when we walked through the door. Think he has tired himself out now as he is fast asleep on my knee.

20181014-141820.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1
  • Happy 2

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Funny you should put that up.  My GSD has just removed the squeaker from his latest toy. 

This one has lasted well, he got it on Friday ?

Sydney has yet to ruin a toy or pull a squeaker out. Which is proving to be a problem in  itself.

He has had to get a toy box at home he has so many toys. People keep buying them for him!

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Funny you should put that up.  My GSD has just removed the squeaker from his latest toy. 

This one has lasted well, he got it on Friday ?

Started buying a squeaky ball with my online Tesco order, now ours gets excited when the delivery man turns up with the groceries, much to the amusement of the delivery man. Mind the squeak only last a couple of days. (They are a throwaway item... ?)

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Started buying a squeaky ball with my online Tesco order, now ours gets excited when the delivery man turns up with the groceries, much to the amusement of the delivery man. Mind the squeak only last a couple of days. (They are a throwaway item... ?)

My wife usually buys Zeus a squeaky ball every time she does the weekly shopping. He does the same, nose in each bag until he finds his new ball, completely ignoring the Sunday joint ?

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

13 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Oh dear, just wait until David Attenborough features them on Blue Planet!! ? 

(shame I can’t do his voice on here)

”Here in the southern oceans, we have seen a massive increase in Turtle deaths due to an influx of Tesco squeakies”

Our GSD didn’t seem to want toys until our daughter bought her one for Christmas. Lily was around 3 at the time and now gets one every year. She now has 5 as she is gentle with them and chooses which one she fancies playing with. 

7 hours ago, jam said:

Our Rottie will quite happily disembowel a squeaky toy within hours and then play with the remains for many months?

Yep, I've got a bag of hardish plastic squeaker-free balls (no innuendos please ?) - with the squeaker out there's an inch sized 'hole' which is great for adding a bit of butter, cream cheese or pate, it keeps him occupied for ages. 

1 hour ago, MHS said:

Oh dear, just wait until David Attenborough features them on Blue Planet!! ? 

(shame I can’t do his voice on here)

Pleeeeese don't tell him.... ???

15 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Sydney has yet to ruin a toy or pull a squeaker out. Which is proving to be a problem in  itself.

He has had to get a toy box at home he has so many toys. People keep buying them for him!

When we lived ashore our 4 dogs had a toy box and would put them  back when told to, saved a lot of bending over 

Phil 

2 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

When we lived ashore our 4 dogs had a toy box and would put them  back when told to, saved a lot of bending over 

Phil 

He is very good at putting them back. He only gets one out at a time. His favourite at the moment is a honking duck.

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

He is very good at putting them back. He only gets one out at a time. His favourite at the moment is a honking duck.

Awwww .....

We had a toy box for Rusty, until we had a dog behaviourist visit our house (cos of Rusty's separation anxiety amongst other problems), and she was horrified about the toy box. Her thinking was that Rusty had nothing to 'work for' because he had 'everything', and suggested we pick up his dinner the moment he walks away from it, and to let him have just two toys at a time, ringing the changes so he doesn't get bored. She did make a point of saying that the toys are yours, not his - which I thought was a bit sad.

She had a point, and it worked for a time, but now he's older and more sensible (I think!) he's got a small box of toys which he knows are his, but they are swopped about a bit with some we've put away. 

12 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I only suffer slight memory problems.

You're looking a lot better than you did yesterday Rusty! Was worried about you looking so tired ?

Edited to say..... now that's better, you're looking more like yourself!

Edited by Jennifer McM
  • Haha 1

We got Dexter our Jackhuahua a talking ball, when it moves it chatters away with quite a repertoire, it also has a proximity switch.  Problem is it's made from hard plastic  which was difficult for his little teeth to clamp onto. So I put it intó a sock so he could get a grip on it. But he took to shaking the bejabbers  out of it and then letting go, dangerous is an understatement .

So I gifted the ball to an old lady who's dog is blind but now has a new lease of life because he can and does chase the ball following the sound.

The same dog has a  "halo made from flexi plastic, fits on a sort of collar and stops him from bumping into things.

Phil 

• Love 1

We have a lurcher type of thing, we got her off gumtree cos I didn't want the hassle or intrusion of any assessment. She is happy to be where we are, house camper canal boat, not so keen on the sea boat. 

Athough a previous lurcher and Jack Russell have been happy on the sea 

12 minutes ago, rasputin said:

We have a lurcher type of thing, we got her off gumtree cos I didn't want the hassle or intrusion of any assessment. She is happy to be where we are, house camper canal boat, not so keen on the sea boat. 

Athough a previous lurcher and Jack Russell have been happy on the sea 

That's our next test for Sydney. Seeing if he has his sea legs. Although that will be next year now. 

Pretty sure he will be fine as he is fine when the boat is on the plane and heeling over in the tight turns on the Trent.

7 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

That's our next test for Sydney. Seeing if he has his sea legs. Although that will be next year now. 

Pretty sure he will be fine as he is fine when the boat is on the plane and heeling over in the tight turns on the Trent.

The fast stuff is a doddle - its the slow and wallowy stuff that's the test.  I remember one night, in a vicious nor'wester in the deeper water of the boating lake, far out on the weather side of the bandstand. All the ducks had made a run for the putting green and we were out there alone, green water coming  over the bow and the scuppers all blocked with dog's vomit... Never known a night like it! :boat:

Dogs blog have got a litter of 6 month old cockapoos that require rehoming due to not being sold :(

Our friends have a cockapoo and he is a lovely dog and loves being on the boat.

15 hours ago, WotEver said:

'ooligan! ;)

Yes Syd is a bit of a hooligan. He loves it!

20180526-080817.jpg

• Happy 1