Lister ST2 Engine advice

vindyboy

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, vindyboy said:

Hi Glad you like her.

Valuation just agreed, so all done again for this year.

IMG_0458.JPG

Mmmm, I thought maybe. My brother wants to change it.

We have checked the bore and it is in great condition.

Watch those tyres on smooth wet roads.

8 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

I'd clean that piston up and run it. The nut has stayed put and not damaged the edge of the piston which would trap the top ring. Run a lot worse than that in the past and had no trouble.

I did a post to that effect but it appears to have got lost in the site crash.  The only time I would not just remove the nut and peen and/or /debur the piston would be one with the steel piston inset (ha too many of them fall out to sure of them). In my view certainly no point in spending money on new parts at this stage.

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Watch those tyres on smooth wet roads.

Yes, I know what you mean.

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I did a post to that effect but it appears to have got lost in the site crash.  The only time I would not just remove the nut and peen and/or /debur the piston would be one with the steel piston inset (ha too many of them fall out to sure of them). In my view certainly no point in spending money on new parts at this stage.

Thank you for your advice.

If it were me in this position, it would be tempting to have both barrels off, with the intention of having a good look at the engine while I could, and in the knowledge that the best thing to do might involve a pair of new pistons and ring sets. While I was at it, the obvious thing to do would also involve a quick look at the bearings.

• 1 year later...