Priming the back of birch ply boards

Featured Posts

Personally I wouldn't bother, I don't think there will be any damp behind there, you may get condensation on the front surface where the air is warm and damp but unless there are window leaks etc the back should be dry.

Just now, Bee said:

Personally I wouldn't bother, I don't think there will be any damp behind there, you may get condensation on the front surface where the air is warm and damp but unless there are window leaks etc the back should be dry.

But if there were to be any damp in the future...

For the little effort and expense required I’d say do it. Thinned spirit varnish wouldn’t take more than five minutes per sheet and a little tin would probably do them all. 

• Greenie 2

21 hours ago, WotEver said:

But if there were to be any damp in the future...

For the little effort and expense required I’d say do it. Thinned spirit varnish wouldn’t take more than five minutes per sheet and a little tin would probably do them all. 

Yes, I started doing this with particular attention on the sides of panels and window area. Might as well, takes no time at all. Thanks 

I use yatch varnish from Toolstation, thinned with about 10% white spirits. It soaks in nicely, quick and easy to apply with a decent sized brush and provides comfort that the backing and edges are suitably protected and sealed.

The minimal cost and effort would repay many times in peace of mind. One chap I knew at Norton Canes used to apply 5 coats of varnish to the back of the lining timbers, seven to the facings. OTT I know, but his surviving work is still stunning. Just saying..

34 minutes ago, dave moore said:

The minimal cost and effort would repay many times in peace of mind. One chap I knew at Norton Canes used to apply 5 coats of varnish to the back of the lining timbers, seven to the facings. OTT I know, but his surviving work is still stunning. Just saying..

Precisely :)

On 09/10/2018 at 17:11, Lumisid said:

Hi all

I’m about to start lining out in 9mm birch ply. Boat has 50mm of spray foam and would just go for it but considering priming the backside of the boards. Any opinions on this? Thanks 

Would be worth treating the edges too, most faliures start there.