Oh man; decisions....!

sniffy the great

Featured Posts

52 minutes ago, sniffy the great said:

This is an aspect of narrowboats that does make me pause. As someone who likes the cruising, the scenery, the ambience of boat living but is more or less a mechanical ignoramus, I wonder if my spectacles are too rose-tinted. I don’t think I’ve done an oil or filter change in my life - wouldn’t have a clue how to start. I suppose these days, there’s a handy video on YouTube.

I notice that the details of this boat say there is no running hours gauge. Is this unusual? Presumably without a gauge, it’s necessary to keep a log of the engine running hours. I also guess it’d be a good idea to change the oil and filter right away just in case?

Doug

Ok. as everyone else seems to be encouraging I'll be the devil's advocate.

The chances of you finding the "right" boat by chance and almost immediately are extremely slim.  More likely you have been seduced by an apparently charming little boat that ticks the few boxes you have at the moment and all you can think of is long summer days gently pottering down the cut not a care in the world.

The harsh reality is that you could just get fleeced here.  By your own admission you are not the most hands on, practical person.  You are looking at a boat that hasn't been docked for five years and has an engine that could, if it hasn't been meticulously maintained, be on its last legs.  Personally I wouldn't buy a boat with an indirect injection Lister especially not a three cylinder version but that is just my opinion.  

Frankly, if this was me, what I've heard so far about the boat would have me walking away, unless there is something absolutely compelling about it.  

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Frankly, if this was me, what I've heard so far about the boat would have me walking away, unless there is something absolutely compelling about it.  

Neil2 yes, I’m trying to keep a sense of proportion. What was absolutely compelling was the habitation - it was as if it had been designed to our specification. We’ve looked at lots of boats and this was the first one to have that feel. 

Anyway, I’ve just put an offer in which is two thirds of the asking price. Obvious this doesn’t commit me to anything but it will be interesting to see the response.

Doug

7 hours ago, Athy said:

That ludicrously short time between oil changes might make me think twice. It would mean that, if you were out cruising and did reasonably long days, the oil would need changing every fortnight.

Vetus also state 100 hours!! In fairness it takes me less than twenty minutes and twenty quid to change the oil on my isuzu every 200 hours so a few times a year but its nowt of a job.

Changing the oil and filter might be a 20 minute job, but you have the aggravation of where to put the old oil and then how/where to dispose of it, and the filter of course you shouldn't just throw it in the nearest bin. 

IMHO an engine that needs changes every 100 hours will be a right PITA unless you never go anywhere.

42 minutes ago, sniffy the great said:

Neil2 yes, I’m trying to keep a sense of proportion. What was absolutely compelling was the habitation - it was as if it had been designed to our specification. We’ve looked at lots of boats and this was the first one to have that feel. 

Anyway, I’ve just put an offer in which is two thirds of the asking price. Obvious this doesn’t commit me to anything but it will be interesting to see the response.

Doug

Doug, and I mean this with the greatest respect, until you have done a bit of boating I'm afraid you don't know what your specification is yet.  Some people are lucky and get it right first time, or just learn to live with the boat, but most of us end up completely revising what we thought we wanted after spending a year or two cruising.  The most important thing with the first boat is that you must be able to sell it if/when you realise you want something different, without taking a big financial hit.  That's really all that matters at this stage.

26 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Changing the oil and filter might be a 20 minute job, but you have the aggravation of where to put the old oil and then how/where to dispose of it, and the filter of course you shouldn't just throw it in the nearest bin. 

OK, I'm carrying 4x 5 litres of oil, 4x oil filters a couple of air filters, a couple of fan belts and an assortment of bots & bobs.

I drain the oil into an empty container and it goes into the 'space' vacated by the empty container, fill the engine & the now empty container going where 'full' container #1 was.

The old filter goes into a carrier bag the new filter is installed, the 'old filter' sits in the space originally taken by the 'new filter'.

You can dispose of the oil & filter in an appropriate place any time in the next 6 months (or whenever) when you are passing a marina (or anywhere) with a disposal point.

Its not 'rocket science' - don't make it out to be more difficult than it is.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

31 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

used oil containers live in the swims on my boat used oil filters go in an ice cream container next to them

fresh oil is in containers on top of the swim and fresh oil filters are in a drawer under the bed (along with a spare fan belt, spare diesel filters and various "just in case" parts)

when I find somewhere that takes used oil it's no hardship to grab the containers.

bear in mind if an engine has short oil change times it usually means it doesn't have a great deal of oil, I find with mine that I can never suck more 5 litres out (1 container full) so it becomes 1 out - 1 in.

I always have 2 containers unused (just in case) which served me well about 6 weeks ago when my gearbox decided the oil inside it should really be in the bilge (selector shaft seal failed with oil pouring out while in neutral), having the spare oil on-hand meant I was able to refill the gearbox instantly and get the boat back to it's mooring

• Greenie 1

Right - well the owner has turned down my low offer - he wants “nearer the asking price” but didn’t specify (it’s via a broker). It’s been on sale for over 3 months so I’m not jumping in. Tomorrow, I’ll go and look at a Freeman 23. Twenty years older, made of “plastic”, petrol engine but at a quarter of the price. All options still open

Doug

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

OK, I'm carrying 4x 5 litres of oil, 4x oil filters a couple of air filters, a couple of fan belts and an assortment of bots & bobs.

I drain the oil into an empty container and it goes into the 'space' vacated by the empty container, fill the engine & the now empty container going where 'full' container #1 was.

The old filter goes into a carrier bag the new filter is installed, the 'old filter' sits in the space originally taken by the 'new filter'.

You can dispose of the oil & filter in an appropriate place any time in the next 6 months (or whenever) when you are passing a marina (or anywhere) with a disposal point.

Yep it realy is that easy. A five litre can of oil does precisely one oil change. The empty container stays on the boat to pump the old oil into straight from the thingy on the engine. the filter goes in plastic bag and is disposed of usualy at a marina, lots let you use their oil disposal facilities for nowt. I have loads of storage on my not 57 foot boat so tend to keep 4/6 5 litre cans aboard and half a dozen oil filters. Simples. 

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yep it realy is that easy. A five litre can of oil does precisely one oil change. The empty container stays on the boat to pump the old oil into straight from the thingy on the engine. the filter goes in plastic bag and is disposed of usualy at a marina, lots let you use their oil disposal facilities for nowt. I have loads of storage on my not 57 foot boat so tend to keep 4/6 5 litre cans aboard and half a dozen oil filters. Simples. 

Yes it's easy when you have a large boat with plenty of storage.  I don't.

I'd be very grateful if you could you let me know of any marinas that let you dispose of old oil and filters FOC, have to admit I've never found one.  

2 hours ago, sniffy the great said:

Right - well the owner has turned down my low offer - he wants “nearer the asking price” but didn’t specify (it’s via a broker). It’s been on sale for over 3 months so I’m not jumping in. Tomorrow, I’ll go and look at a Freeman 23. Twenty years older, made of “plastic”, petrol engine but at a quarter of the price. All options still open

Doug

I think the Freeman 23 is a wide beam and no weed hatch,so unsuitable for narrow canals and locks.

Freeman did make a narrow beam [6ft 10inch] the Freeman 22 mk2,with a weed hatch and extra rubbing strakes,so more suitable for canals.But not all the 22 mk 2s are narrow beam.  

If you can find one with the original fit out,they are superbly done.

I thought seriously about buying a Freeman narrow beam,before I bought my narrowboat,but most are fitted with a Ford marinised petrol engine,,and the rudder is quite vulnerable in shallow water,[where I am the ducks walk on the bottom]  and is secured with frangible rivets designed to break if the rudder hits the bottom,preventing the rudder shaft ripping the stern off.

If your cruising area is a river or a nice wide deep canal,then a GRP boat will be fine. If on the other hand it is narrow canals with plenty of locks,then a steel narrow boat is the boy for the job.

Hope all these posts are not putting you off,but there are many dewy eyed newbies all fired up with enthusiasm from watching "Great Canal Journeys" and there are equally many vendors of boats who are quite happy to take advantage of this.

Please be careful,

59 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Yes it's easy when you have a large boat with plenty of storage.  I don't.

I'd be very grateful if you could you let me know of any marinas that let you dispose of old oil and filters FOC, have to admit I've never found one.  

The last two I have used for free oil disposal were Sawley marina and Oxfordshire   narrowboats at Lower Heyford. I tend to have 3 or 4 to do at a time so dont ask at many places. I found the first twenty years living on a boat were the hardest to suss out such places but since then its been easy. In all honesty though if you have a car several council places take it also.

14 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

I think the Freeman 23 is a wide beam and no weed hatch,so unsuitable for narrow canals and locks.

Freeman did make a narrow beam [6ft 10inch] the Freeman 22 mk2,with a weed hatch and extra rubbing strakes,so more suitable for canals.But not all the 22 mk 2s are narrow beam.  

If you can find one with the original fit out,they are superbly done.

I thought seriously about buying a Freeman narrow beam,before I bought my narrowboat,but most are fitted with a Ford marinised petrol engine,,and the rudder is quite vulnerable in shallow water,[where I am the ducks walk on the bottom]  and is secured with frangible rivets designed to break if the rudder hits the bottom,preventing the rudder shaft ripping the stern off.

If your cruising area is a river or a nice wide deep canal,then a GRP boat will be fine. If on the other hand it is narrow canals with plenty of locks,then a steel narrow boat is the boy for the job.

Hope all these posts are not putting you off,but there are many dewy eyed newbies all fired up with enthusiasm from watching "Great Canal Journeys" and there are equally many vendors of boats who are quite happy to take advantage of this.

Please be careful,

I was looking at the Freeman because on another topic I started here, someone said the Freeman 23 was a good choice because it had a displacement hull unlike the 24 which is semi- displacement.

Regarding the canal I’d want to use it on, it’s the K&A. I don’t know if that’s counted as “wide and deep” or not.?

Doug

29 minutes ago, sniffy the great said:

I was looking at the Freeman because on another topic I started here, someone said the Freeman 23 was a good choice because it had a displacement hull unlike the 24 which is semi- displacement.

Regarding the canal I’d want to use it on, it’s the K&A. I don’t know if that’s counted as “wide and deep” or not.?

Doug

Don't know about the K&A, never been on it.

If you google Freeman Owners Forum,there is lots of info about Freeman boats.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You may need to explain that you don't mean 'with water'.

Here is something I actually have kniwledge of - I walk along it every day and it seems to have plenty of space to me. There are choke points but by and large, there’s plenty of room so don’t be nervous or shy - the K&A is waiting to welcome you.

Doug

17 minutes ago, sniffy the great said:

Here is something I actually have kniwledge of - I walk along it every day and it seems to have plenty of space to me. There are choke points but by and large, there’s plenty of room so don’t be nervous or shy - the K&A is waiting to welcome you.

Doug

But just remember the bit without boats moored is too shallow, for too far out, for boats to be able to moor.