BLACKING YOUR HULL

robby

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Fly Navy said:

Sorry ditchcrawler. Must have made the question a bit ambiguous.

Silly me.

I'll try again:

If Zinga is used on the hull of a narrowboat, is there a need to fit anodes also, or will the zinga do the job of an anode?

There, how's that?

My boat was zinga'd from new, then coated with epoxy blacking. It also has anodes. The boat will be 13 this year, and will have the original epoxy blacking renewed. The anodes were replaced 2 years ago.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

My boat was zinga'd from new, then coated with epoxy blacking. It also has anodes. The boat will be 13 this year, and will have the original epoxy blacking renewed. The anodes were replaced 2 years ago.

Its amazing stuff isnt it? but if like me you bump into locks banks anything in fact and it damages the protective coating its nice to know that the anodes will give you some protection as well

6 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Its amazing stuff isnt it? but if like me you bump into locks banks anything in fact and it damages the protective coating its nice to know that the anodes will give you some protection as well

Exactly, as evidenced by them slowly disolving over 11 years ?

27 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Exactly, as evidenced by them slowly disolving over 11 years ?

An anode 'dissolving' is a self fulfilling inevitability irrespective of whether it is protecting against any other form of galvanic corrosion.

That's because by fitting one you have created a galvanic cell that otherwise doesn't exist and therefore you will get depletion of the more reactive metal (the anode) to the less reactive metal (usually the steel hull or in your case the zinc in the coating system).  That's galvanic corrosion and that's what you fit the anode to do - but normally to override the reaction between the steel of your hull with a less reactive metal (such as your bronze propellor) that would otherwise occur.

The anode will also react with any steel piling you moor up against, galvanised or otherwise.

Having thought about it a bit more it's illogical to fit a magnesium anode over a zinc coating if you genuinely believe that zinc is the right material for the job.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

7 hours ago, Fly Navy said:

Sorry ditchcrawler. Must have made the question a bit ambiguous.

Silly me.

I'll try again:

If Zinga is used on the hull of a narrowboat, is there a need to fit anodes also, or will the zinga do the job of an anode?

There, how's that?

when you use zinga  the whole boat hull becomes a large magnesium anode, and marine life don't stick to it

On 08/10/2018 at 18:24, robby said:

well thank you for your reply, but it doesn't sound right, i am not looking for a pat on the back, there is a lot of boat owners out there blacking every two years,

i was one of them this is a process that works and it is not being used  i can't understand it, and please beleave me i do not have shares in zinga

sunfung 154 - Copy.jpg

sunfung 141.jpg

sunfung 163 - Copy.jpg

sunfung 149.jpg

the finished job did look good, but zinga black looks grey and i have never asked them why i don't mind