BLACKING YOUR HULL

robby

Featured Posts

hello an update on sweetpea's bottom, just done an inspection, and after 10 years her bottom is still good. So shot blasting to clean steel 3 coats of Zinga, and 2 coats of Zinga black has realy paid off. Club members at PYC told me i was wasting my money, they are very helpfull like that, so ignoring them was defiantly the way to go, i am so GLAD i went ahead and did it, 

10 years, and i swear sweetpeas bottom has not been touched no rust anywhere, she has only been out for a prop change. The steel float tanks she is moored to were done at the same time and no problem with ether 10 years got to be good.

• Greenie 3

well thank you for your reply, but it doesn't sound right, i am not looking for a pat on the back, there is a lot of boat owners out there blacking every two years,

i was one of them this is a process that works and it is not being used  i can't understand it, and please beleave me i do not have shares in zinga

sunfung 154 - Copy.jpg

sunfung 141.jpg

sunfung 163 - Copy.jpg

sunfung 149.jpg

4 hours ago, robby said:

hello an update on sweetpea's bottom, just done an inspection, and after 10 years her bottom is still good. So shot blasting to clean steel 3 coats of Zinga, and 2 coats of Zinga black has realy paid off. Club members at PYC told me i was wasting my money, they are very helpfull like that, so ignoring them was defiantly the way to go, i am so GLAD i went ahead and did it, 

10 years, and i swear sweetpeas bottom has not been touched no rust anywhere, she has only been out for a prop change. The steel float tanks she is moored to were done at the same time and no problem with ether 10 years got to be good.

Dont worry Blackrose is just annoyed thst he only two packed his [just joking Mike]. I like you zingered mine as well with the same result, no rust or deterioration I like you am well pleased with the result to say the least. I believe that it produces the best result against rust in the short and long term. I use keelblack on mine now just to produce a nice black finish but in reality their is no need as its only cosmetic

Well that`s food for thought. I`ve actually paid a deposit with Debdale Wharf Marina to have my hull molten zinc metal sprayed. Very expensive compared to one treatment using Zinga in 10 years assuming I`m reading your report correctly.

1 hour ago, jddevel said:

Well that`s food for thought. I`ve actually paid a deposit with Debdale Wharf Marina to have my hull molten zinc metal sprayed. Very expensive compared to one treatment using Zinga in 10 years assuming I`m reading your report correctly.

Possibly my experience is the same at Robbys as well I dont know about Debdale but it must be the equal of zinger at the very least

the problem starts with the steel and the fact that we dont have time to do things properly anymore.

years ago boats were put outside to allow the mill scale to come off that is the coating on the steel when new, this hard scale comes off with time and when you have blacked over it your black comes of with it, usually at the water line,

were water meets the air, so shot blasting removes the mill  scale, and within an hour a Zinga coat is applied to stop it rusting because over night you will have a coat of rust on your boat. Zinga is very easy to apply, a 5lt can is heavy, the Zinga black is not as black as bitumen but a nice dark grey and a real nice finish, the Zinga rep will give advise .

Edited by robby

3 hours ago, robby said:

the problem starts with the steel and the fact that we dont have time to do things properly anymore.

years ago boats were put outside to allow the mill scale to come off that is the coating on the steel when new, this hard scale comes off with time and when you have blacked over it your black comes of with it, usually at the water line,

were water meets the air, so shot blasting removes the mill  scale, and within an hour a Zinga coat is applied to stop it rusting because over night you will have a coat of rust on your boat. Zinga is very easy to apply, a 5lt can is heavy, the Zinga black is not as black as bitumen but a nice dark grey and a real nice finish, the Zinga rep will give advise .

Or in my case the zinga blacking went silver!! which is why it now has a few coats of keelblack on it.

On 08/10/2018 at 18:24, robby said:

well thank you for your reply, but it doesn't sound right, i am not looking for a pat on the back, there is a lot of boat owners out there blacking every two years,

i was one of them this is a process that works and it is not being used  i can't understand it, and please beleave me i do not have shares in zinga

sunfung 154 - Copy.jpg

sunfung 141.jpg

sunfung 163 - Copy.jpg

sunfung 149.jpg

Yes its a good system. How much does it cost? If I had done it to the boat I owned ten years ago I would have had to do it to the one I bought after that one and the one I own now. Perhaps thats why lots of people dont bother?  Its a long term commitment that doesnt add up when many of us buy different boats along the way for different reasons ?

the most expensive part is the shot blasting, it needs to be done to zinger's spec by a good company, my 50ft narrow boat 10 years ago the total cost £500 for blasting that was two men on site for 8 hours, but i have no idea what it would cost today, and i hope i do not have find out, the rest of it is up to you if you can paint you can do it and it is easier than blacking, but when it is done what ever it costs you can add it to the sale price of your boat and it will help you sell.

On 08/10/2018 at 22:18, peterboat said:

Dont worry Blackrose is just annoyed thst he only two packed his [just joking Mike]. I like you zingered mine as well with the same result, no rust or deterioration I like you am well pleased with the result to say the least. I believe that it produces the best result against rust in the short and long term. I use keelblack on mine now just to produce a nice black finish but in reality their is no need as its only cosmetic

I was only joking too. However, I've personally pressure washed the epoxied hull of a passenger boat that looked as good as the day it was epoxied 10 years earlier, so Zinga isn't the only system that can do this.

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I was only joking too. However, I've personally pressure washed the epoxied hull of a passenger boat that looked as good as the day it was epoxied 10 years earlier, so Zinga isn't the only system that can do this.

Thats interesting, how clean did you get it

• 4 months later...
On 08/10/2018 at 22:18, peterboat said:

i think the zinga black is very good and hard all the knocks in 11 years have never gone through to the steel

On 10/10/2018 at 22:08, ditchcrawler said:

Thats interesting, how clean did you get it

with zinga i have never had to use anodes in 11 years

3 hours ago, robby said:

i think the zinga black is very good and hard all the knocks in 11 years have never gone through to the steel

Interesting but as my anodes have disappeared over the years I replaced them last time

5 hours ago, robby said:

Nobody "has to" use anodes in fresh water. They work to a varying degrees depending on the steel and the water, or sometimes they don't work at all. Any well painted hull shouldn't really need anodes if that paint stays on or is repainted regularly.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Interesting but as my anodes have disappeared over the years I replaced them last time

I've added extra anodes to mine down the sides but the original 14 year old anodes at the bow and stem are still there. I reckon they're about 70% of the original size.

Edited by blackrose

48 minutes ago, Fly Navy said:

Sorry ditchcrawler. Must have made the question a bit ambiguous.

Silly me.

I'll try again:

If Zinga is used on the hull of a narrowboat, is there a need to fit anodes also, or will the zinga do the job of an anode?

There, how's that?

There's no compelling scientific reason to fit anodes to a canal boat at all, nonetheless it's standard practice.

Anodes on canal boats are magnesium rather than zinc because canal water is a poor electrolyte so the additional reactivity of magnesium is required to create an effective galvanic cell. Your zinc coating will act in a similar way but be less effective than a magnesium anode.

Since the only place that true galvanic corrosion can occur in isolation on a canal boat is around the propellor then I would still suggest you fit magnesium anodes toward the rear of the swim.

JP

1 hour ago, Fly Navy said:

Sorry ditchcrawler. Must have made the question a bit ambiguous.

Silly me.

I'll try again:

If Zinga is used on the hull of a narrowboat, is there a need to fit anodes also, or will the zinga do the job of an anode?

There, how's that?

My boat is Zingered and I still have fitted new anodes, its called belt and braces, and for the cost of them its not worth not fitting them