Quick Question: Fire Extinguishers, BSS Requirements

Clodi

Featured Posts

I see Screwfix have a sale on their extinguishers at the moment which I want to take advantage of as I have a credit with them.

Please can anyone tell me the minimum BSS requirement for a 60 footer ? Personally I don't like the dry powder extinguishers which I already have 2,1 kgs of. I'd rather CO2 and foam  with a wet chem' for the engine dept' but I can't seem to  find the relevant section on searching on my phone & I want to order them tonight.

I'd rather have too many than too few but don't know what types required for the BSS inspection.

Thanks for the replies guys. I realised that I easily meet the regs with my 2 2kgs red dry powder plus I have a 'posh' 6k chrome dry powder in the shed, all certificates for the next 4 years. I got some CO2 as dry powder in a small place dosn't really appeal to me. Hopefully they'll never actually get to be used and I'd rather have too many than too few.

12 minutes ago, Clodi said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I realised that I easily meet the regs with my 2 2kgs red dry powder plus I have a 'posh' 6k chrome dry powder in the shed, all certificates for the next 4 years. I got some CO2 as dry powder in a small place dosn't really appeal to me. Hopefully they'll never actually get to be used and I'd rather have too many than too few.

I always keep my out of date ones for use on false alarms.  ;)

• Haha 1

On 8 October 2018 at 18:57, Chewbacka said:

Which maybe a problem for you as CO2 is not A rated and so no acceptable to BSS, though there is nothing to stop you having them in addition to the powder extinguishers.

See also Appendix I, CO2 extinguishers "are not to be provided for living spaces". I believe on grounds of risk of asphyxiation.

As is often said : Fire extinguishers are not there to put the fire out, but to 'knock-it-back' and give you chance to get out.

What foes it matter what 'mess' there is with a foam extinguisher, be grateful you are there to see it.

I was trained for aircraft crash-rescue by the RAF - it is surprising how little use a standard extinguisher is.

We used foam generating for even small fires.

Start a small fire in a dustbin and use one of your out-of date extinguishers, its good to know how little they do.

Although you state you have new extinguishers now and that are certified for 4 years.

This may be fine in till your next inspection. For your insurance. But technically, you still need to get the extinguishers checked and signed off on a yearly basis, by a BAFE registered company. The manufacturer of the extinguishers will have, this statement printed on it.

Your insurance will find any reason not to pay you out, if you make a claim. To have 3 extinguishers checked annually, it can cost as little as £30 per year and it ticks the box.

3 minutes ago, Nic Williams said:

This may be fine in till your next inspection. For your insurance......

That may be true for commercial boats but for recreational boats there is no need to have certified / examination of extinguishers to get insurance.

And, you certainly do not need to have the extinguishers examined annually.

Hi Alan 

Thanks for pointing that out, I mainly work commercially. Just check the manufacturers instructions on the product. You will be surprised how many newly installed fire extinguishers fail, either during installation or their 5 years life. 

Kind regards

Nic