Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

NEW: Following member feedback, we now have a Mooring & Marina Review forum. Post your review here.

Richard T

Loughborough Christmas Antidote Banter Sunday December 30th, 2018

Featured Posts

The subject of Christmas came up over dinner tonight so I thought it must be time to think about this years banter. The first question is when? Saturday 29th or Sunday 30th December? I would prefer 30th as family may be staying with us on 29th. The next question is where - I will talk to the Paget and see if I can resolve issues relating to food if thats where people want to meet. Alternatively given the lack of banters elsewhere during the year do we want to hold one or not? I'm going to do nothing until early November as we hope to go boating for a couple of weeks - we intend to go to Birmingham via the T&M, Staffs&Worcs and Wolverhampton so wave if you see us.

Normally I would say Christmas should not ever be mentioned before November, but as this is intended as an antidote to Christmas we will allow it in.

I'm only guessing, but I suspect you might find it harder to persuade the Paget to have guaranteed food on a Sunday night than on a Saturday.

Obviously having food available is very helpful, but maybe not a show-stopper?  The problem last year was everybody was expecting it to be, and it wasn't.  If we had actually known that was the case we could perhaps have better planned around it.  Would they allow take aways in the pub if not doing food themselves?

Otherwise the Paget is a good venue, I think.

I suspect BSP and myself would be up for this, in fact I am looking forward to it.

The Paget was a good venue and the lack of food wasn't a showstopper,  as Alan says people just need to know so they can plan ahead 

• Greenie 1

Depending on a few variables Dave & I are thinking we might just make it this year. A definite date would be good (no preference from us as long as we get back to Kent for New Year's Eve).

On the strength of the replies lets go for Sunday 30th. I will call at the pub and check its ok in the next few days.

• Greenie 1

On 28/10/2018 at 14:13, Richard T said:

On the strength of the replies lets go for Sunday 30th. I will call at the pub and check its ok in the next few days.

Any confirmation yet with the pub for Sunday 30th please, Richard?

I suspect there will be quite a number of us looking to book accommodation.

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Any confirmation yet with the pub for Sunday 30th please, Richard?

I suspect there will be quite a number of us looking to book accommodation.

Alan,

Crazy time for me this coming week with Bonfire night, Divali and Remembrance Sunday. I will try and get to the pub on Thursday night.

All the best

Richard

I have now been to the Paget Arms - it has changed hands and is now an Everards pub. It has the usual Everards brews - Tiger and Old Original- plus guest beers. They have not yet sorted out the kitchen so I was not able to see a menu. I talked to the manager and he is happy to host the banter on Sunday 30th. A couple of weeks before it I need to go and sort out numbers and what sort of food we might want. I guess that this will be fairly simple - pie and chips etc - with veggie options.

Please let me know numbers.

Excellent, thank you Richard!

Does anybody plan to be staying multiple nights please, and if so which multiple nights?

Obviously unlike recently New Year's Eve doesn't now fall on a weekend date, but is there any interest in say a restaurant meal gathering as a "pre banter" on the Saturday?

You can provisionally stick Kathy and me down, although family things may take precendence for both of us, I am sure we can give our CWDF family one night too!!!!!

A bit late to step up for this but we are up for going and will see folks there on the 30th. Personally I would love to stay the 31st as well and, if any others are up for it - to have a NYE meal in The Basin as we have done the last couple of years.

We are away Christmas time but onboard for New Year. I live New Year, Margaret can take it or leave it. Northern verses Southern.

Idle thoughts guide me towards The Loughborough 'do'. As I've never attended a banter in the past I'm a little nervous. After all I'm a banter virgin.

just thinking aloud.

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We are away Christmas time but onboard for New Year. I live New Year, Margaret can take it or leave it. Northern verses Southern.

Idle thoughts guide me towards The Loughborough 'do'. As I've never attended a banter in the past I'm a little nervous. After all I'm a banter virgin.

just thinking aloud.

Just a group of people drinking beer in a decent pub with a shared interest in narrowboats

Nothing to be nervous about, come along and enjoy

23 hours ago, Kiwidad said:

We can’t make it as we are going to NZ to see our kids. Wish you all the best though

Rubbish excuse :)

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Just a group of people drinking beer in a decent pub with a shared interest in narrowboats

I have no interest in narrowboats (other boats are available). However, I do like beer.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I have no interest in narrowboats (other boats are available). However, I do like beer.

Wouldn't life be dull if we all liked the same things

• Haha 1

Mr B and I are up for the 30th we will be staying at the Travel Lodge by the Canal Basin.

I think I can change the booking to 2 nights can do NYE dinner.......

Edited by Marge the Barge

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

just thinking aloud.

Everyone was a banter virgin once upon a time - please do come and join in and for that matter anyone else who has never been before would be very welcome indeed

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Rubbish excuse :)

Shhhh - he has not met Aunty Wainwright yet ?

2 hours ago, Marge the Barge said:

Mr B and I are up for the 30th we will be staying at the Travel Lodge by the Canal Basin.

I think I can change the booking to 2 nights can do NYE dinner.......

We have also booked two nights ?

They are all wrong. Banters are horrifying events for a newbie.  For a start, everyone disappears to the Chinese for a meal the instant before you arrive, so you end up walking all around the whole pub asking each group of people if they are the cwf banter only to have them all say ‘no’, and snigger at the Billy No Mates who has been stood up. Or so I found anyway on my first banter. 

Then as matty will tell you, it is customary for newbies to take a look at their baseplate in the dark. I’m sure you can figure out how to do this.... 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Correct a minor detail...
  • Haha 1