Vodafone

Sanddancer

Featured Posts

Coverage is good enough but I’ve had two contracts with them over the years and fell out with them big time on both occasions. Have since used O2 and Three with no problems whatsoever. Currently with Three and they’ve been excellent for me. 

I've been with 3, 02 and now Vodafone for the last 2 years and I don't think Vodafone are any more appauling to deal with than the others.

I think they offer the best deals on data. I'm on unlimited calls, texts and 40gb of data + 2gb roaming data for£25/month.

I use the phone as my internet hotspot and tether wirelessly to my laptop. I use it for working from the boat. I'm not interested in streaming movies so 40gb of data is fine for me.

Edited by blackrose

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I've been with 3, 02 and now Vodafone for the last 2 years and I don't think Vodafone are any more appauling to deal with than the others.

I think they offer the best deals on data. I'm on unlimited calls, texts and 40gb of data + 2gb roaming data for£25/month.

I have just changed to "Three" and for £17 per month :

Unlimited calls

Unlimited Texts

30Gb of data - all of which can be used for 'hot-spotting'

Unlimited Netflix (and other providers) streaming

Unlimited music downloads

Free calls to other 3 phones

Standard rate calling from a whole host of 'overseas' countries.

They also do similar but for 100Gb at £20 per month

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Vodafone are fine if:-

• You don't have any problems
  • Their coverage is good where you are
  • You don't need any support
  • You don't use the web based order system

I've had a balance on a PAYG account for years and it suddenly disappeared. Online staff in Alexandria were useless. HOWEVER the folks in their shop (requiring an inconvenient treck were brilliant - but I resent having to make a special journey.

Methinks all providers are much the same - but it helps if they have a UK call centre who understand what you are saying.

• Greenie 1

When I'm considering mobile phone and data, Vodafone dont even feature in the networks I consider. Although, if you live in Heckington near Sleaford, it is the only network that gets a consistent signal.

I bought my Mum a Phone with Vodafone PAYG SIM and, when setting it up, it felt like I was being forced to buy what they wanted to sell, rather than what I wanted for my Mum. Thus, as well as having a reputation for not the best coverage, I also have a perception that they will rip you off at every opportunity.

My current Go To mobile providers are GiffGaff, EE, Three, Plusnet, (not in any particular order).

I've been on Vodafone for years.   I've not had a problem with them and the local shop are very helpful.  Their coverage used to be quite poor, but now I find their phone coverage good and their data coverage very good - it's not often I don't get a 4G connection.  Also all data is available for tethering.

If you are on PAYG they do a contract (PAYG 1) that doesn't lose your unused credit every month, and is capped at £1 a day after which it  gives you unlimited calls and 500Mb data free.  For an infrequently used phone, not having to buy cerid every month is very useful.

25 minutes ago, dor said:

I've been on Vodafone for years.   I've not had a problem with them and the local shop are very helpful.  Their coverage used to be quite poor, but now I find their phone coverage good and their data coverage very good - it's not often I don't get a 4G connection.  Also all data is available for tethering.

If you are on PAYG they do a contract (PAYG 1) that doesn't lose your unused credit every month, and is capped at £1 a day after which it  gives you unlimited calls and 500Mb data free.  For an infrequently used phone, not having to buy cerid every month is very useful.

Which is a more direct way of stating what I was suggesting ..................!

6 hours ago, Sanddancer said:

Is it a good network ? Thinking of changing from EE as the data is a good deal

When I got my first mobile there only was Vodaphone and cellnet or whoever they are now called. I went with Vodaphone and ended up with thousands of others being taken to court a couple of years later due to their onerous rip of t and c,s eventualy their agreements were ruled illegal. I have never touched them since but the signal is crap at this location.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

When I got my first mobile there only was Vodaphone and cellnet or whoever they are now called. I went with Vodaphone and ended up with thousands of others being taken to court a couple of years later due to their onerous rip of t and c,s eventualy their agreements were ruled illegal. I have never touched them since but the signal is crap at this location.

Rip offs and sharp practice is all I have experienced from them.

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have just changed to "Three" and for £17 per month :

Unlimited calls

Unlimited Texts

30Gb of data - all of which can be used for 'hot-spotting'

Unlimited Netflix (and other providers) streaming

Unlimited music downloads

Free calls to other 3 phones

Standard rate calling from a whole host of 'overseas' countries.

They also do similar but for 100Gb at £20 per month

Why do you need free calls to other three numbers when you get unlimited minutes, sounds like a good deal untill you realise you don't actually need it?

I still find EE hard to beat coverage wise.

Loads of data and free minutes are not much use if you haven't got a signal.

Worth bearing in mind O2 and Vodafone share masts for 4G. Voda did get the better frequencies at the 4G freq auction so should be better in rural areas in theory anyway. 

Tesco is o2  and EE is owned by BT now

my experience of 3 was they were just appalling in every way they were like a poor phone network but not as good !

9 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

my experience of 3 was they were just appalling in every way they were like a poor phone network but not as good !

Yet I’ve got good coverage for the areas I frequent, unlimited texts, unlimited calls and unlimited data for £8/m. Only 4Gb tethered but I don’t require tethering so that’s always unused. No, that’s not a generally available deal, it’s the result of much bartering and confused Asian call centre staff giving out duff info at the beginning of the contract. 

Oh yes vodaphone i remember 25 pounds a month and 25 p a minute, even if you didnt get through. Direct debit out of your bank whether you liked it or not.

of course you wouldnt get mugged for the phone , if someone grabbed it they couldnt run far. Once started a dead 2cv off the battery pack, by stripping the cigar plug off and wiring it into the ignition and then bumping the bloody thing.

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Oh yes vodaphone i remember 25 pounds a month and 25 p a minute, even if you didnt get through. Direct debit out of your bank whether you liked it or not.

of course you wouldnt get mugged for the phone , if someone grabbed it they couldnt run far. Once started a dead 2cv off the battery pack, by stripping the cigar plug off and wiring it into the ignition and then bumping the bloody thing.

my first phone in 1989 was 40 pence a minute or part of so sixty one seconds was 80 pence, quite expensive in those days. The phone was like a breeze block but in fairness worked well even blasting down the motorway. The agreement was 12 months with a 12 months notice period but it was written so it was impossible to understand and was later classed as illegal when lots of people had been through court. only about 400 quid for the phone though but 400 quid in 89 was a fair few bob.

Unless they have improved massively in the last few years, I have always found that Vodafone had by a mile the worst coverage on the majority of the canals we use most. (We are mostly in the South East and Midlands).

Ignoring totally aspects like costs or customer support, we have found the ranking for likelihood you will actually get a usable signal as follows.....

1) 3

2) EE

3) O2

4) Vodafone

When I used to have a Vodafone mobile, it's only real use at many locations was as a paperweight.  I retained the same handset when my contract ended and switched to 3, and suddenly it worked at just about everywhere it never had.

40 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

400 quid in 89 was a fair few Bob.

No. Not me. I was at home watching Banana Splits.

I have vodaphone phones and EE/ BT data sims. Coverage in many areas of the cut are much better on EE in Warwickshire. Voda can be dire in certain spots.  Find which has the best coverage in your area.

4 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Ours was £999 in 1987. The boat was £9000..........

Yeah I hadnt looked at it that way. Our phone at 400 quid in the same year I paid 10k for our first liveaboard a 56 footer and 40 pence a minute when red diesel was 50 pence a gallon!!