New Moderators

RichM

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

It seems like there's nothing quite so guaranteed to cause upset on a forum as discussing moderation! :D

Yes, it's enough to drive us to drink.

In moderation, of course.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Indeed. AND discussion of mederation is specifically banned in the Rules and Guidelines!

That'll be like politics being discussed then?

17 minutes ago, MJG said:

THe decision on the  parallel case you refer to has interestingly just been overturned in the supreme court.

I suppose I can reluctantly understand the rationale of the judgement. Although it has to be questioned what other types of slogans they would have refused to make. Ultimately I suppose we have to accept that it isn't illegal to be racist, misogynistic, homophobic etc, it is only illegal to act on those hates in a discriminatory manner against an individual. However I can't help thinking that if they had just baked the cake no-one would have really noticed or cared. That is the trouble with the N Irish, they would rather kill each other because they are the wrong type of Christian or have a different view on something, than take a live and let live approach. (Hmm, sounds a bit like CWDF!) And all done in their god's name, even though it is allegedly the same god! No different from the Islamics. Step 1 when I am ruler of the world will be to ban all religion.

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

I suppose I can reluctantly understand the rationale of the judgement. Although it has to be questioned what other types of slogans they would have refused to make. Ultimately I suppose we have to accept that it isn't illegal to be racist, misogynistic, homophobic etc, it is only illegal to act on those hates in a discriminatory manner against an individual. However I can't help thinking that if they had just baked the cake no-one would have really noticed or cared. That is the trouble with the N Irish, they would rather kill each other because they are the wrong type of Christian or have a different view on something, than take a live and let live approach. (Hmm, sounds a bit like CWDF!) And all done in their god's name, even though it is allegedly the same god! No different from the Islamics. Step 1 when I am ruler of the world will be to ban all religion.

Your step one is far too sensible, you would not be in power very long.

15 hours ago, Winn said:

The "need to reference" for TB members particularly is because its taken some time and effort to make Thunderboat the place it has promise to become. Whilst many here may not like its ethos the members of TB are proud to have created something worthwhile and amongst the profanity and unjustly perceived shallowness, there are jewels of spirit, diamond friendships, and having recently suffered the death of a much loved and valued TB member, there are great treasures of shared sympathy.

TB mocks CWDF, (occasionally, not "constantly") and likewise spiteful or ill informed comments about TB are voiced here. Cross forum spats are indeed pointless but since CWDF famously had a rule that Thunderboat must not be mentioned, I dont really think that members here can claim a loftier level with regard to childish recriminations.  

What a terrific post :)

Rog

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, Winn said:

TB mocks CWDF, (occasionally, not "constantly") and likewise spiteful or ill informed comments about TB are voiced here. 

The spiteful and ill informed comments do occur on CWDF however this forum hasn't deemed it necessary to have a sub forum entitled Thunderboat where criticism and mockery of the forum and often named members takes place.

It strikes me there is something a little amiss with a forum which can't stand on its own two feet without mocking and criticising other forums.

If it is working and well supported why does it feel the need for such a section?

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, dogless said:

That post's priceless :)

Rog

...which is, I'm sure, better than it being worthless!

How strange that two words which appear to be almost synonymous can have such disparate meanings.

Edited by Athy

15 minutes ago, Jerra said:

The spiteful and ill informed comments do occur on CWDF however this forum hasn't deemed it necessary to have a sub forum entitled Thunderboat where criticism and mockery of the forum and often named members takes place.

It strikes me there is something a little amiss with a forum which can't stand on its own two feet without mocking and criticising other forums.

If it is working and well supported why does it feel the need for such a section?

If one doesn’t take into account why TB was formed, I’d agree with you.

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

If one doesn’t take into account why TB was formed, I’d agree with you.

I could understand such discussion in the early stages but fail to see why CWDF looking for new mods (for example) is worthy of discussion so long after the split.

I would have thought they should have settled into their own niche by now but no 4 pages and roughly 100 threads suggests they haven't yet accepted themselves as a fully fledged stand alone forum.  Just my opinion other opinions are available.

17 minutes ago, RichM said:

Please can we keep this discussion on topic. Thanks.

I think all that can be said on topic has been said. No wait, I don’t think I said that LadyG seems pretty sensible (and is the Scottish rep hopefully) despite bad history of mods whose names start with Lady something. And Liam is pretty sensible too though he hasn’t yet said whether we will now get forum discount for good posts and forum surcharge for warning points.

1 hour ago, RichM said:

Please can we keep this discussion on topic. Thanks.

Why the objection to this particular topic drifting?

It doesn't seem to cause concern when others do.

40 minutes ago, matty40s said:

its about moderating, not modulating

Not always easy to know the difference, or to deliver without sounding like a hectoring bully.   I do believe Athy manages it but I'd still rather trust my own moderation, especially if I make mistakes of judgement. Not being able to edit or delete posts here after a certain length of time is perhaps counterproductive to self moderation. Is there something in the forum structure that might allow that option? 

Edited by Guest
better choice of words

8 minutes ago, Liam said:

Thanks all for the (re) welcome! :)

You're welcome, but could I please have an answer to my query? ... post number 94 or do I need to make an official request? 

1 minute ago, Winn said:

You're welcome, but could I please have an answer to my query? ... post number 94 or do I need to make an official request? 

Nope, I managed to find post 94.

As I've not been around in an official capacity for a couple of years I'm unaware if it's been discussed recently but has been discussed in the past and it was chosen the best way forward then. That probably still stands today.

1 hour ago, Winn said:

Not always easy to know the difference, or to deliver without sounding like a hectoring bully.   I do believe Athy manages it but I'd still rather trust my own moderation, especially if I make mistakes of judgement. Not being able to edit or delete posts here after a certain length of time is perhaps counterproductive to self moderation. Is there something in the forum structure that might allow that option? 

It would get surely very confusing to have to go back and re-read an edited old post. Is the complication worth the alteration?

When I am in error I re-post an apology and correction, seems to be OK with everyone.

1 minute ago, Winn said:

Have you thought it may also be a good thing, since it stops someone throwing in a hand grenade, starting a controversy, then deleting their post later leaving everyone wound up without their post being seen to highlight their part in it?