New Moderators

RichM

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Mods are OK ,have only ever experienced rudeness from one of them..they are generally civil People.

I agree. We are all equal. I just don't like some being more equal. I self moderate successfully all day long. Though my better half may beg to differ on that! 

• Greenie 3

37 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Mods are OK ,have only ever experienced rudeness from one of them..they are generally civil People.

Sadly, civil people sometimes let power go to their head and become overly dogmatic in an effort to drive out what they, and a few others, consider undesirables.  I hope the avatar title of 'Lady' isn't symptomatic of this and wish them well in the job.  But I still maintain its more interesting without peer moderation but rather self moderation. Mods always remind me of prefects at school, were they really effective or did they just cause rankle and the only benefit being pride from parents and a sense of self importance. 

Edited by Guest
self moderation

12 minutes ago, Winn said:
Sadly, civil people sometimes let power go to their head and become overly dogmatic in an effort to drive out what they, and a few others, consider undesirables.  I hope the avatar title of 'Lady' isn't symptomatic of this and wish them well in the job.  But I still maintain its more interesting without peer moderation but rather self moderation. Mods always remind me of prefects at school, were they really effective or did they just cause rankle and the only benefit being pride from parents and a sense of self importance. 

There is another so called canal forum known to a few on this forum. It was set up by an idiot that was kicked off here. A year or two ago I looked in to see if it was worth a look, they I think self moderate. I looked at a couple of threads. Both were abysmal and one had lots of different members using the f, c and other words in just about very sentence. If thats what self moderation looks like we certainly dont want it on here. With my work background I have heard it all and some that the idiots on those threads have never heard of, the problem being anyone can look at the site to include youngsters interested in boats/boating and I wouldnt mind my grandkids looking in at this one even though we have squabbles. I would however hope they never log on to the other site.

• Greenie 5
  • Unimpressed 1

The words exist in the world, with no help from any forum.

I suspect the words are even heard in schools :)

Many of us dislike gratuitous profanity, and actually there is very little on thunderboat these days.

But the point is, that is an individual decision and does not need 'prefects' to discipline anyone.

If I behave 'badly' on thunderboat,  members will readily,  honestly, and unrestrainedly tell me.

Of course no one has ever been banned from there, without any explanation or right of reply.

One up on this forum.

Rog

Edited by dogless
  • Greenie 3

Yes I admit one or two do show off on Thunderboat, especially when newbies arrive or they suspect people from here might be watching.  

But calling someone an idiot because they hold views different to yours isn't a great example to younger children either.  You might not know how much respect there is between people there because you only look in and tut tut. Spend some time and try to get to know the dynamics? 

I sometimes pop into the thunder forum and although the language might be toned down a bit I often think that's If it wasn't for "mocking" a thread on this site there wouldn't be much content. Not much technical stuff and it all seems very shallow. Just my view though. 

Haggis 

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, haggis said:

I sometimes pop into the thunder forum and although the language might be toned down a bit I often think that's If it wasn't for "mocking" a thread on this site there wouldn't be much content. Not much technical stuff and it all seems very shallow. Just my view though. 

Haggis 

My View as well.

• Greenie 1

The content, perceived or actual, on Thunderboat, has nothing to do with whether we should be moderated or not here. I gleaned that the "application form" was somewhat lengthy and taxing, that it was not an open process, at least a couple of the regulars feel that. I suppose an Empire is built and thrives on beurocracy, but could it possibly be that the Emperor's robes are imaginary? 

Edited by Jim Riley
' had fell off.
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, haggis said:

Haggis 

as in "Mike the Boilerman is a Prig".....Have known that for decades......

I'm intrigued by the number of members of both forums who appear to hop between both and come back to the one they feel ok with commenting on what they don't like about the other one.

Strange.

Edited by MJG

Is this a Martin rule, that I can't visit both sites, as I haven't seen the rule anywhere else?

The issue, and criticism of thunderboat was raised by mrsmelly, I merely responded.

Thunderboat is a newer and smaller forum, and over the two or so stormy years that it has existed, it has settled into a place I feel happier than here.

But I wouldn't presume to tell people whether they can or can't or should or shouldn't visit and join in.

Thunderboat was created by people banned from here at the 'whim' of mods and their friends, without right of reply or explanation in some cases.

I wonder why they elected to create a totally open and honest forum, without any moderation?

Rog

• Greenie 3

13 minutes ago, dogless said:

Thunderboat was created by people banned from here at the 'whim' of mods and their friends,

Rog

Although these bans, and the subsequent establishment of the other forum, happened before I became a moddy, I don't think this is correct. Such decisions could have been taken by moddies only, as their friends would have no such authority.

That's a bit rich, coming from someone who was an active member for a good long while, posting in a style that would be impossible here. Still, tha can allus tell a boat less caravan owning Yorkshire man, just not much. 

I feel I need to apologise for the vision on a naked Emperor I placed in your minds. I hope you all slept. It's not as bad as you might think, the dangly bits are all covered by a licence disc. That's why it's not on display. 

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Although these bans, and the subsequent establishment of the other forum, happened before I became a moddy, I don't think this is correct. Such decisions could have been taken by moddies only, as their friends would have no such authority.

Cunning choice of words. Try substituting "influence" for "authority". 

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Cunning choice of words. Try substituting "influence" for "authority". 

Cunning train of thought, but still unlikely (in my experience at least).

Edited by Athy

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

a time when there was a period of mad mods running wild and slashing and burning

What impressively dramatic prose for this time of the morning!

Oh, and I was certainly not "trying to rewrite history" - I simply said that such events were outside my experience, which they indeed were.

30 minutes ago, Athy said:

What impressively dramatic prose for this time of the morning!

Oh, and I was certainly not "trying to rewrite history" - I simply said that such events were outside my experience, which they indeed were.

I suppose I could have just said “the mods dun bad innit” but I was trying to align my style with that of the intended recipient!

oh and as it seems some folk don’t understand slashing and burning, it’s explained here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash-and-burn

Edited by nicknorman
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dogless said:

Is this a Martin rule, that I can't visit both sites, as I haven't seen the rule anywhere else?

The issue, and criticism of thunderboat was raised by mrsmelly, I merely responded.

Thunderboat is a newer and smaller forum, and over the two or so stormy years that it has existed, it has settled into a place I feel happier than here.

But I wouldn't presume to tell people whether they can or can't or should or shouldn't visit and join in.

Thunderboat was created by people banned from here at the 'whim' of mods and their friends, without right of reply or explanation in some cases.

I wonder why they elected to create a totally open and honest forum, without any moderation?

Rog

I think you should 're read my post Roger because I didn't say anything about rules at all. I said I just find it intruiging that people indulge in the particular activity I described. I also certainly didn't say people couldn't visit both sites.

2 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

That's a bit rich, coming from someone who was an active member for a good long while, posting in a style that would be impossible here. Still, tha can allus tell a boat less caravan owning Yorkshire man, just not much. 

You can find it as rich as you like but the fact is I find that particular activity intruiging. It's not about being members of both or indeed visiting both, but in your haste to score a point you have misunderstood my point. It was also a comment about some members on both forums and certainly wasn't a comment about TB alone.

Edited by MJG