K2 on ebay

Mike Adams

Featured Posts

This would make very attractive project.  These Lighthouse Kelvins received very little use.  The one I had was used for less than 500 hours per year and was completely stripped down every two years. There was no perceivable wear on the big ends or the cylinders.

The present example would be best if a marine gearbox can be found, but I believe these are now rare.

I wonder if the flywheel would need to be replaced?  You can see the clutch which connected the Kelvin to a Sentinel Compressor.  It’s difficult to see, but perhaps the clutch was simply bolted on.

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/29777-for-those-who-like-looking-at-old-engines/

Edited by koukouvagia

10 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

The present example would be best if a marine gearboxcan be found, but I believe these are now rare.

Funny you should say that. I have one in bits in my shed.... hopefully ALL the bits are there!

It was removed from my own K2 when the Velvet Drive was installed. 

35 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Funny you should say that. I have one in bits in my shed.... hopefully ALL the bits are there!

Excuse my jocularity - but The Management pours me a mean whisky mack -

I can't resolve something like a K2 (chuffa, chuffa) driving through a Velvet drive.

Seems like a contradiction in terms?

Don't analyse it - a 'proper engine' with power pulses through something that implies smoothness - on the face of it is incongruent??

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 20:13, OldGoat said:

Excuse my jocularity - but The Management pours me a mean whisky mack -

I can't resolve something like a K2 (chuffa, chuffa) driving through a Velvet drive.

Seems like a contradiction in terms?

Don't analyse it - a 'proper engine' with power pulses through something that implies smoothness - on the face of it is incongruent??

Have a pal with a DM2 driving through a velvet drive he loves it - so not as rare as you might think 

Edited by Halsey

On 06/10/2018 at 19:31, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hi Mike, Love to know what you think of the Velvet drive on your K2, i.e. if it was worth the cost of conversion over the kelvin gearbox? What model of velvet drive - I presume 1:1 ratio? Does the velvet drive handle slow revs of a K2 - any problems with hydraulic pressure? How did you mount the gearbox - did you manufacture a adapter plate and/or bolt it direct to the K2 crankcase or mount it remote from the engine? How did you couple the drive shaft engine side - did you use a drive plate/spring damper drive plate? 

Apologize for all the question but I am considering my options because I need to spend a lot if I decide to keep my current K2 gearbox drive setup. 

38 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

Sold for £2400

Sounds about right to me given the need to marinise it. 

I still won't be totally surprised if it gets re-listed though, once the winner has thought about it properly and backed out.

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Sounds about right to me given the need to marinise it. 

I still won't be totally surprised if it gets re-listed though, once the winner has thought about it properly and backed out.

Really? I’m surprised it didn’t go for a lot more. Considering the main downfall of Kelvin’s is internal corrosion due to salt raw water cooling, a lighthouse unit is somewhat of a holy grail. They had closed circuit cooling with antifreeze, and regular servicing making them a far better prospect than something that’s been sat in the hulk of an old fishing boat for the last 50 years. Even as a source of spare parts I’d say it was a bargain, have you tried to find a good head or barrel lately? Flywheel with decent ring gear?

If someone on here has bought it with the intention of  breaking it for parts please let me know!

• 1 month later...

For those asking about the Borg Warner Velvetdrive.....the basic unit is a simple direct hydraulic multiplate epicyclic reverse box.Direct drive in forward,epi in reverse................there is a large range of extras from simple reductions to Z drives ,to back under the motor drives......The near exact same unit is used in tractors etc with the addition of a torque converter.......the marine unit has a flex plate,but remote drive options are available,and a remote drive adaptor is not difficult to fabricate in a small engineering shop.....Parts are dirt cheap...last one I did ,was about $50 for new clutch plates  and bearings ,and the three spline rollers which the owner lost.....