Do I need power?

PeterCr

Featured Posts

I'm considering options for mooring over winter, for about 7 or 8 months.

Some of those options are in locations without power. I don't have solar panels.

Should I be considering leaving the boat without a power supply for that time? What are the implications for the batteries? And is leaving the boat on continual power for that length of time an issue for the batteries as well if I elected for a power supply?

Thanks all.

The batteries would prefer to be charged to prolong their life.You could take them home as Robbo suggests,but would loose any benefit of an automatic bilge pump if you have one fitted. 

Leaving batteries on a dedicated charger is no problem as long as that charger is a decent marine type one with "float" function.

The other option, of course, is to have some solar fitted.Although the performance isn't brilliant through the Winter, it may be enough to maintain your battery bank if sized correctly.

If you do leave it,as always take precautions regarding frost damage.

Edited by rusty69

3 minutes ago, PeterCr said:

I'm considering options for mooring over winter, for about 7 or 8 months.

Some of those options are in locations without power. I don't have solar panels.

Should I be considering leaving the boat without a power supply for that time? What are the implications for the batteries? And is leaving the boat on continual power for that length of time an issue for the batteries as well if I elected for a power supply?

Thanks all.

Firstly, you seem to be planning not to use the boat over winter. Why not? This is the BEST cruising time!

But back on topic, solar panels don't deliver any worthwhile output in winter anyway so not having them is no great handicap. They might perhaps counter 'self-discharge but equally they might not. 

What batteries do you have? If decent quality batts I'd say leaving them fully charged for a month or so will be fine. Visit the boat once every few weeks (say every four to six weeks but not critical) and run the engine a few hours to keep them topped up with charge. If you only have el cheapo leisures they are probably knackered anyway if they are more than half an hour old, so don't fret about them and just buy new ones in the spring. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Visit the boat once every few weeks (say every four to six weeks 

From Australia? New batteries every year would be cheaper.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Firstly, you seem to be planning not to use the boat over winter. Why not? This is the BEST cruising time!

But back on topic, solar panels don't deliver any worthwhile output in winter anyway so not having them is no great handicap. They might perhaps counter 'self-discharge but equally they might not. 

What batteries do you have? If decent quality batts I'd say leaving them fully charged for a month or so will be fine. Visit the boat once every few weeks (say every four to six weeks but not critical) and run the engine a few hours to keep them topped up with charge. If you only have el cheapo leisures they are probably knackered anyway if they are more than half an hour old, so don't fret about them and just buy new ones in the spring. 

We'll be in Australia for the summer/winter, it's expensive to fly back, so won't be coming back till May or thereabouts for 4 or 5 months over the summer here cruising.

I've got Vetus 105 ah lead acid batteries. Sadly I'm no expert on batteries hence wondering what I should be doing for the 7 or 8 months the boat is laid up. I've got 7 batteries (bow thruster, starter and 5 domestic) so buying a new lot isn't cheap. They seem fine so far, relatively new.

5 minutes ago, PeterCr said:

We'll be in Australia for the summer/winter, it's expensive to fly back, so won't be coming back till May or thereabouts for 4 or 5 months over the summer here cruising.

I've got Vetus 105 ah lead acid batteries. Sadly I'm no expert on batteries hence wondering what I should be doing for the 7 or 8 months the boat is laid up. I've got 7 batteries (bow thruster, starter and 5 domestic) so buying a new lot isn't cheap. They seem fine so far, relatively new.

if you are leaving it with an option of power? A small battery charger pukka one will just keep them on float at very very little cost and the batteries will be very happy next year. There must be a grands worth of batteries there so you need to weigh up the cost against mooring costs.

4 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

From Australia? New batteries every year would be cheaper.

Folks just don't read the full thread do they???

Short answer - yes

Long answer -

what would the 'leccy supply cost?

Does your mooring location have a 'leccy supply  or would  a supply restrict where you could moor?

Just read your latest post - with lots of batteries, I think a decent charger setup in a comfortable  marina where someone can keep an eye on the boat seems best.

Seven months is a long time. Last season I left our boat for three months and the starter battery was dead when I got to the marina.

The mains were fine 'cos they're NiFe.

8 minutes ago, PeterCr said:

We'll be in Australia for the summer/winter,

A feeble excuse!!!!

But seriously, if your bothered about the cost of replacing them I'd say get a mooring with 240Vac power. Then you can wire them all up to a three stage charger which will keep them in tip-top condition for when you get back.

HST, the price of a mooring with 240Vac over the price of one without may well be bout the same as a new set of batteries....

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A feeble excuse!!!!

But seriously, if your bothered about the cost of replacing them I'd say get a mooring with 240Vac power. Then you can wire them all up to a three stage charger which will keep them in tip-top condition for when you get back.

HST, the price of a mooring with 240Vac over the price of one without may well be bout the same as a new set of batteries....

Really,

where we are the provision  of 'leccy is in the price - which is obscene anyway....

For the last 7 years we have kept the boats batterys charged over uk winter with a 160 panel and regulator. We put all the batteries in parallel during our time in oz, and leave only the bilge pump fuse in circuit.

we do the same in aus with our camper ( apart from the bilge pump bit)

neither boat nor van has failled to start in spring.

we have lost 2 car batteries though, once when the solar panel in the screen got into darkness ( a friend pushed the car into the carport when inclement weather threatened)and once when the fuse on a panel failed. Both batteries were ruined.

Dont leave them with nothing- it will cost you big time, and disconnect from any load but bilge pump

when we got here in april our batts were at 13.6 volts.

might see you in victoria off in nov.

9 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Folks just don't read the full thread do they???

Well actually, yes they do.

I was typing my first reply when the thread filled up and this information initially not mentioned, was posted.

A feeble excuse!!!!

I'm a little stuck with being here more than for the 5 months or so cruising. Whilst I'm Australian my wife is English, so technically we could stay here all year. But if you've ever looked at the extraordinary cost and hassle of getting the visa that I need to stay here all year! So I only get visitor visas, so can't stay any longer.

4 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

might see you in victoria off in nov.

Call when you're there, would be nice to catch up. 

2 minutes ago, PeterCr said:

I'm a little stuck with being here more than for the 5 months or so cruising. Whilst I'm Australian my wife is English, so technically we could stay here all year. But if you've ever looked at the extraordinary cost and hassle of getting the visa that I need to stay here all year! So I only get visitor visas, so can't stay any longer.

Strewth mate - leave the Sheila here to look after the boat and you go home to drink all those tinnies....

• Haha 2

Just now, OldGoat said:

Strewth mate - leave the Sheila here to look after the boat and you go home to drink all those tinnies....

Too late she's on the plane as we speak/type. The only upside is that she's going home to work!

Don't forget that if you are going to leave it permanently plugged into the mains yo really do nedd a galvanic isolator or isolation transformer fitted, if you are not going to risk erosion of your bat's hull.

Even if you do connect to the mains and leave a battery charger connected you will need somebody periodically checking thed arrangements surely?  If something causes a breaker on that supply to trip after you have got on that plane back to Australia, and you have nobody to keep an eye, and reset things if required, you could be no better iff than leaving the boat with no mains.

2 minutes ago, PeterCr said:

You have explained this a number of times over the last couple of years, surely it shouldn't need explain again ?

I'd go for power if you can.

You can also add in engine room heaters save any freezing up problems and the forecast is for the coldest winter since 1814-15 when the Thames froze over.

My engine room heaters use about £30 per month of electric.

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Don't forget that if you are going to leave it permanently plugged into the mains yo really do nedd a galvanic isolator or isolation transformer fitted, if you are not going to risk erosion of your bat's hull.

Even if you do connect to the mains and leave a battery charger connected you will need somebody periodically checking thed arrangements surely?  If something causes a breaker on that supply to trip after you have got on that plane back to Australia, and you have nobody to keep an eye, and reset things if required, you could be no better iff than leaving the boat with no mains.

He could always get one of those plug in sim card power loss devices(another expense).Granted, he would still need someone to turn the power back on and assess the situation.

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You have explained this a number of times over the last couple of years, surely it shouldn't need explain again ?

Hey, hey 'twas in response to my trying to write Strine. I didn't know, but then I don't read everything...