Thames moorings

Ratty's Retreat

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Ratty's Retreat said:

Penton Hook is £5kpa for a 38’ boat. Rethink required..

Thanks for speedy responses.

South of Watford Gap - and you are in 'expensive' territory (but having said that £5k is not that expensive for that area)

Move North and it'll be under £2000

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

Why not try the river Wey (National Trust) or Basingstoke Canal (Basingstoke Canal Authority) who sometimes have moorings available usually with easy parking and not that far from Chertsey and the licence and mooring much  is cheaper?

There's always a waiting list for a NT mooring on the Wey - we waited for years and years. The marinas might have a vacancy, though.

I believe there might be some room at New Haw on the Wey. 

Another option is the Environment Agency. Its quite common for locks to offer winter mooring options. Not quite sure if they still do I but years ago (1995/96) I spent the winters in Cookham upstream lock cut by the (closed for winter) water point. I paid the daily mooring rate which at the time was £4 for a 55ft nb. Its more now. About double I think. 

Not sure how far up you want to go but its worth asking the EA about it. Its possible everything is taken as it is quite an attractive deal with some security depending exactly where you are placed. 

Bell weir lock definitely have some moorings in the weir stream below the lock. Its a bit bumpy there though. 

Also try Richard at Bell Weir boats (just above bell weir lock towpath side) he had a few moorings available when I spoke to him in the spring. 

And try calling 4allmarine at Laleham as they offer moorings. 

Another possibility is just below Eton bridge on towpath side but I'm not sure who manages that mooring and it seems popular. 

Possibly Bray or Boveney lock on the island but both are awkward for parking. 

Edited by magnetman

5 hours ago, Ratty's Retreat said:

Penton Hook is £5kpa for a 38’ boat. Rethink required..

Thanks for speedy responses.

Look for 'Windsor Castle Moorings' these are the Town visitor moorings which are usually £8 per 24 hours but they do special rates off season .something like £175 per month.some of the Boats there have been static for a Year or two.

Yes. Probably worth contacting french bros as well. They have some moorings including a little backwater just above the bypass bridge. 

And obviously windsor racecourse yacht basin. 

Edited by magnetman

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Yes. Probably worth contacting french bros as well. They have some moorings including a little backwater just above the bypass bridge. 

And obviously windsor racecourse yacht basin

I rang them up on a whim last week and they said -

"No, no,no (Dad's Army) w can't cope with narrowboats" ....

Methinks it's a manoeuvring problem - not 'class distinction'

Similarly with MDL Windsor and Bray - navigating NBs in a space designed for 30' cruisers is quite a challenge if the wind is blowing...

17 minutes ago, magnetman said:

And obviously windsor racecourse yacht basin. 

Those Moorings belong to a Local Boatyard not French Brothers .FB lease moorings for their passenger Boats from that Boatyard .Long waiting list (approx 20 Years)

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

I rang them up on a whim last week and they said -

"No, no,no (Dad's Army) w can't cope with narrowboats" ....

Methinks it's a manoeuvring problem - not 'class distinction'

Similarly with MDL Windsor and Bray - navigating NBs in a space designed for 30' cruisers is quite a challenge if the wind is blowing...

OP has a 40 footer. That -might- make a difference to moorings availability. 

Maybe not but its more in league with the size of cruisers than longer nbs would be. 

Edited by magnetman

Thank you all for your responses. We are currently on the Wey, which we love apart from some of the extremely heavy gates and paddles. We want to explore the Thames more so I will follow up Magnetman’s leads, thank you.

Another option could be to moor at Thames lock to give easy access.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 21:00, Ratty's Retreat said:

Thank you all for your responses. We are currently on the Wey, which we love apart from some of the extremely heavy gates and paddles. We want to explore the Thames more so I will follow up Magnetman’s leads, thank you.

Another option could be to moor at Thames lock to give easy access.

We were offered a mooring at Thames lock twice by NT, but the access was not particularly convenient, especially as then new flats in the river stream meant that parking might be a challenge. However, it's a lot cheaper than anything on the Thames - provided that you don't find lock opening times irksome!