Ashby Closed For Bridge Repair 3 Months, Jan. Feb. March '19

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

Watch you don't get stuck! 

Noticed quite a few of the bridges have got pretty wide cracks, though I do think the Ashby's bridges are some of the nicest.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/12937/bramcote-road-bridge-6-ashby-canal

Bramcote Road Bridge 6, Ashby Canal

Notice Details

From Date: 2nd January 2019 at 08:00
To Date: 29th March 2019 at 16:00 inclusive
Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Repair
Is Towpath Closed? Yes

Description:

Above-water repairs to the cracked arch of the bridge, parapets, soffit and weathered sandstone stonework. 

Repairs to the wet abutment, below water level, will also be carried out.  The extent of these works will not be known until the navigation is de-watered.

Relocation of bat roosts within the arch may dictate timing of the works.  

Further updates to this notice will be made if any changes are required.

Please also be aware the towpath will be closed for the duration of the works.  A diversion will be put in place from Bulkington Road Bridge 5 (to the west) and Mill Bridge 8 (to the east).  This will be clearly signed.

Starts At:
Bridge 6, Bramcote Road Bridge
Ends At:
Up Stream Winding Hole:
Junction with Coventry Canal
Down Stream Winding Hole:
Just north of Basin Bridge 22, Basin Bridge Lane.

Well, there are decent moorings near that bridge, and the Corner House pub sells decent ale and has good meal deals, so there are worse places to be stuck! Not sure about water and sanny, though.

2 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Watch you don't get stuck! 

Noticed quite a few of the bridges have got pretty wide cracks, though I do think the Ashby's bridges are some of the nicest.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/12937/bramcote-road-bridge-6-ashby-canal

Bramcote Road Bridge 6, Ashby Canal

Notice Details

From Date: 2nd January 2019 at 08:00
To Date: 29th March 2019 at 16:00 inclusive
Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Repair
Is Towpath Closed? Yes

Description:

Above-water repairs to the cracked arch of the bridge, parapets, soffit and weathered sandstone stonework. 

Repairs to the wet abutment, below water level, will also be carried out.  The extent of these works will not be known until the navigation is de-watered.

Relocation of bat roosts within the arch may dictate timing of the works.  

Further updates to this notice will be made if any changes are required.

Please also be aware the towpath will be closed for the duration of the works.  A diversion will be put in place from Bulkington Road Bridge 5 (to the west) and Mill Bridge 8 (to the east).  This will be clearly signed.

Starts At:
Ends At:
Up Stream Winding Hole:
Junction with Coventry Canal
Down Stream Winding Hole:
Just north of Basin Bridge 22, Basin Bridge Lane.

Are they getting WRG to do this one as well

Cruised under Bridge 6 this morning.  

Just want to mention there are 8 or 10 pipes (white hard plastic 2 inch drain pipe type) sticking out about 3 to 5 inches from the brickwork along the roof, and sides. It would be easy to catch them, and pick up scratches, both on your boat and on your head! This morning was lovely and bright and they were very visible, but on a dull day, and concentrating on a boat coming towards you or something, you could miss seeing them, and that could be nasty.  I'm sure if these were on the roadway, there'd be red flags dangling from them.

I can only think the pipes have been added to remove moisture.... (don't take my word for it though).

Having mentioned the pipes, I feel lots better now! Ashby bridges are 'snug' at the best of times.

5 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Cruised under Bridge 6 this morning.  

Just want to mention there are 8 or 10 pipes (white hard plastic 2 inch drain pipe type) sticking out about 3 to 5 inches from the brickwork along the roof, and sides. It would be easy to catch them, and pick up scratches, both on your boat and on your head! This morning was lovely and bright and they were very visible, but on a dull day, and concentrating on a boat coming towards you or something, you could miss seeing them, and that could be nasty.  I'm sure if these were on the roadway, there'd be red flags dangling from them.

I can only think the pipes have been added to remove moisture.... (don't take my word for it though).

Having mentioned the pipes, I feel lots better now! Ashby bridges are 'snug' at the best of times.

We must have just missed you pass us - was in n out doing chores! ☹️

9 hours ago, lampini said:

We must have just missed you pass us - was in n out doing chores! ☹️

We passed Mary Ann very, v e r y, slowly about noon, we couldn't see your car, and Mary Ann was battened down ☹️

You've taken the crocheted mushroom covers off - so many questions to ask  ? - hugs to both of you x

Edited by Jennifer McM

On 08/10/2018 at 07:36, Jennifer McM said:

We passed Mary Ann very, v e r y, slowly about noon, we couldn't see your car, and Mary Ann was battened down ☹️

You've taken the crocheted mushroom covers off - so many questions to ask  ? - hugs to both of you x

We WILL catch up, by hook or by crook! Bit cheezed off by this long stoppage - even tho we’ll be below it, there’s no winding for us north of here so as long as we’re pointed south, we’ll get ONE cruise in over this time - thank god we’ve not got a pump-out!!

Altho I guess we could take the opportunity to practice reversing for a mile and a half - not as if there’ll be any other boats about! ?

• Happy 1