Banbury Canal Side - Anyone Remember What it Was Like 70's?

mark99

Featured Posts

Hi,

The  travelling south between Henneff Road Bridge and Soverign Wharf and opposite Spiceball Park, there is a large canalside industrial estate and a big electric sub station - does anyone know whether this land was flat down to Canal but has been built up a little when the estate was built up?  (This is now offside - but opposite is where people moor a lot).

Appreciate a bit of an odd request!

Capture.JPG

Edited by mark99

IIR - dimly in the late 70s, all you could see were trees and (trying harder) a huge pile of gravel and bricks just after the foot bridge. Not the place that we ever stopped to look! The next lock beckons....

8 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

IIR - dimly in the late 70s, all you could see were trees and (trying harder) a huge pile of gravel and bricks just after the foot bridge. Not the place that we ever stopped to look! The next lock beckons....

Ok thanks OG. That footbridge I think is called Marsh Bridge. Were the bricks and rubble south of bridge or north?  South of bridge would be Banbury lock approach.

Edited by mark99

7 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Best I can do:

Tooley's Yard.jpg

This image dates to 1993 at the absolute earliest as the 'feature boat' is the large Woolwich motor BUXTON, not sold by Threefellows Carrying until this date.

I first went through Banbury in 1980 when one side of the canal opposite Tooleys was a bit of a wilderness and the other side the bus station as can be seen here. I dont recall it being a particularly attractive place to stop :captain:

2 hours ago, mark99 said:

Ok thanks OG. That footbridge I think is called Marsh Bridge. Were the bricks and rubble south of bridge or north?  South of bridge would be Banbury lock approach.

This is where 'Old...' comes into play, but thanks for the compass direction - on a canal it's 'up' or 'down' and that often depends on in which direction you ar travelling at the time!!

My instant response is 'by' (adjacent to) the bridge....  indeed it may even be "on either side" of the bridge on that side. At the time 'one' is trying to navigate the narrows and hoping nobody is about to pop-out from the line of moored boats to completely spoil one's careful approach. My recall says to me - aha, banks of waste building material, abandoned filter beds , by bridge , oooh, cleared bridge with no incident - no resident upset by boat passing and so forth.

One doesn't think that xx years ahead a chap who live not far away from our route to Ikea might ask a serious question.

Perhaps we proceed at a rate not a lot slower than a hirer to the next pleasant overnight mooring with TV coverage, so that  details are not always retained...

It is amusing - trying to remember what actually was seen at the time. I'd ask the Management, but I'd have to be specific in the rock formation (she'll tell me exactly where Bunter Pebble Beds are, but will give me a strange look if I say 'a pile of bricks'.

Mehinks that's why we both love the canals - for me navigating, for her, geology and archaeology en route...

Gie us a clue laddie as to what you are expecting? 

Complicated story. I'm trying to find something buried in the 70s that our ground radar has failed to find and we are down several metres. We think the ground has been made up throwing out the signal/ datum. On Monday we have a chap coming in site who was there when this item was buried hopefully he will immediately advise us our datum is out due to overburden/ level make up. It is right next to canal. 

Edited by mark99

2 hours ago, mark99 said:

Complicated story. I'm trying to find something buried in the 70s that our ground radar has failed to find and we are down several metres. We think the ground has been made up throwing out the signal/ datum. On Monday we have a chap coming in site who was there when this item was buried hopefully he will immediately advise us our datum is out due to overburden/ level make up. It is right next to canal. 

OK I cant be alone in wanting Monday to come around for the update on this. If we are not told what it is who buried it and why, as well as if you manage to find it, I will be very disappointed.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

This is somewhere down the Southern Oxford, circa 1973, but I can't remember the exact location.

Does anybody recognise it?

Could it be Banbury?

File0715.jpg

it has some resonance with me and also the attached ink sketch which has been in our family for a long time IMG_0515.JPG.d6f78df0024e44aea8c60610ef74f692.JPG

If it's the ground over the wall at Banbury lock in the 60's it was rough grass land with a couple of foot paths across it & then there seemed to be various tipping of rubble etc. don't know what happened after 65

8 hours ago, AMModels said:

OK I cant be alone in wanting Monday to come around for the update on this. If we are not told what it is who buried it and why, as well as if you manage to find it, I will be very disappointed.

Budge up - I'm also on the edge of that same seat!  Intriguing indeed! :)

I think the Banbury picture of Jaguar May be the old Banbury dairies site where Joy Skinner used to take coal to. 

My memories of the place involve Banbury sticking at the old aluminum factory bridge and the town bridge, Bloody heavy things both of them.

Now that its been established that were struggling to answer the original question...

Banbury Canal Side - Anyone Remember What it Was Like 70's?

Is it time to broaden out the question to become...

Anyone Remember What it Was Like (in the)70's?

(I recognise its equally likely that few will!) :)

I think the picture of jag coincides where Thaxted used to moor before we bought her in 1984. It is now impacted by the high level bridge immediatly below banbury lock. Immediatly out of that lock there used to be a lift bridge, which was quite heavy, and if you got stuck going into the lock, shopping trolleys cider bottles dead bodies were the usual cause, you had to keep the bridge up while you  farted about, which used to upset the locals.

banbury canalside was not to put too fine a point on it characterful. You did not moor there, unless you liked cider , abuse  , and the risk of arson

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 19:04, alan_fincher said:

This is somewhere down the Southern Oxford, circa 1973, but I can't remember the exact location.

Does anybody recognise it?

Could it be Banbury?

File0715.jpg

I have a feeling that this could be at what is now the arm behind the Evans Halshaw dealership, prior to the building of Hennef way in 1990.

This was then known as waterworks lane. The canal was crossed by an aluminium lift bridge built by the apprentices of Alcan Aluminium Works in the 1950's.  I think the bridge was re-allocated to the K & A canal, somewhere by the Somerset coal canal arm.

This exact spot is now buried underneath the western embankment to the modern bridge, as you exit the roundabout from the A423.

There was a wharf here, and not much else save for a few old redbrick buildings occupied by some car repairers.

Going back further than the 70's, the only building of substance along this stretch that I can recall was the Switchgear and Equipment co, which stood where Halfords is now.

47 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I think the picture of jag coincides where Thaxted used to moor before we bought her in 1984. It is now impacted by the high level bridge immediatly below banbury lock. Immediatly out of that lock there used to be a lift bridge, which was quite heavy, and if you got stuck going into the lock, shopping trolleys cider bottles dead bodies were the usual cause, you had to keep the bridge up while you  farted about, which used to upset the locals.

banbury canalside was not to put too fine a point on it characterful. You did not moor there, unless you liked cider , abuse  , and the risk of arson

Thaxted !  Blimey, that brings back memories !  It was a trip on this boat back in 1984 that introduced me to the wonderful world of canals.

The guy that owned it used to bring his nipper around to our house to be child minded by my ex Mrs.  He needed crew members to help bring it from Jerico in Oxford back to Banbury.

We camped out under the canvas in the hold at Lower Heyford, and had two brilliant summer days gifted upon us.  I can hear it now - Ker Doink - Ker Doink - Ker Doink !

I can't recall his name, but he used to run around in an old London black cab, It wasn't you was it ?

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Tunnelman51 said:

I have a feeling that this could be at what is now the arm behind the Evans Halshaw dealership, prior to the building of Hennef way in 1990.

This was then known as waterworks lane. The canal was crossed by an aluminium lift bridge built by the apprentices of Alcan Aluminium Works in the 1950's.  I think the bridge was re-allocated to the K & A canal, somewhere by the Somerset coal canal arm.

This exact spot is now buried underneath the western embankment to the modern bridge, as you exit the roundabout from the A423.

There was a wharf here, and not much else save for a few old redbrick buildings occupied by some car repairers.

Going back further than the 70's, the only building of substance along this stretch that I can recall was the Switchgear and Equipment co, which stood where Halfords is now.

This is interesting, but I really can't recall Banbury very well, and we have not been through by boat for some yeras now.

Interestingly old Nicholsons guides from the era of the photograph don't show the arm you mention, so I don't think it aws a naviable feature back then.

I note my photo shows clear electricity pylons.  Google Maps doesn't apera to show any pylons in Banbuy, so if the picture is Banbury, they must be another thing that has disappeared I think.