Supertherm smokeless

blackrose

Featured Posts

Just now, Jennifer McM said:

I think it's good, and that was our choice of coal, but then we discovered Excel.... 

^^^^ Same as Jennifer!  Superhero (sod autocorrect, I'll leave that in) was tricky to find but is pretty good if you're getting a great deal. Otherwise Excel (because it's easy to light, good heat, not too bad on fumes when you reload, low ash).

We are currently on Supertherm, because that is what the coal boat happened to have most  of when we were last buying.

The briquettes are probably the largest of any fuel we have used.  This is  not a problem in a big stove, but possibly not the best in an Epping.

Like many of these fuels, it seems to make a fair amount of ash.

I can't remember what we paid, so can't really comment on value versus other branded types.

Edited by alan_fincher

There is some possible year to year variation, and different coals will perform differently in different stoves but we reckon Supertherm is the best, though if you don't mind a bit of smell when opening the stove door (and possible chest irritation if you are sensitive), then the balance tips in favour of Homefire Ovals.

notes form last winter.................

HomeFire Ovals  Really Good but big Sulphurous smell

Taybrite  Stays in really well but produces a lot less heat than others, Massive Ash

Supertherm Good low ash stays in well little smell

Excel  Goodish heat, medium ash  not so good at staying in, less smell than Homefire

.............Dave

25 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Thanks all, I like Excel too but it's expensive and we've got a bulk deal on Supertherm so let's see how it goes...

Unusual as in "the north" Excel is usually just slightly cheaper than Superherm.

Am I missing out? For the last 25 years I've only used Phurnicite not the cheapest (£11.75 a bag) but it works, so far I've used it in 5 different types of stove all were successful. So are these other fuels worth looking at? I did try anthracite once but it kept going out. ;)

43 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Am I missing out? For the last 25 years I've only used Phurnicite not the cheapest (£11.75 a bag) but it works, so far I've used it in 5 different types of stove all were successful. So are these other fuels worth looking at? I did try anthracite once but it kept going out. ;)

I do try to buy from the coal boats.

I've never been offered Phurnicite by Jules, although curiously it is one of the products they mention on their web-site, (though I'm not sure that is 100% up to date with what they actually have on the boats).

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Are you stockpiling food and medicines for  the brexit chaos too?

now there is an idea no I want my fuel as cheap as possible im stockpiling fallen oak from the moors as well must have 5 cubic yards at least

Up until this year I always ordered from Phil and before him Peter but as we intended not to be living full time  on the boat this winter it made more sense to get some delivered to the Cottage. Then the goalposts moved ;)

Phurnacite is very good. Years ago when a great many boats had a Torgem stove, there wasn't much else in the way of ovoids around here anyway, apart from house coal and smokeless Coalite. Phurnacite is dearer now but it does burn slow and hot.