Duplicated topics

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Not sure if this is a phenomenon that is only affecting me, but some topics are showing as double entries on my screen. Any idea why?

Nope, it happens every day, there have been numerous threads and reports about it but it still happens :

I just saw the Friday joke was duplicated.

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Happens regularly,  same post same last poster, if you view one the duplicate disappear when you return to view new topic page

OK, please can you (or anyone) take a screenshot next time you see this. It's difficult for me to fix something unless I can see it for myself.

RichM

2 minutes ago, RichM said:

I don't see a duplicate? The results in relation to Brexit 2017 were posted by different users. As mentioned, this is by design. 

It never used to work like this, and to my mind it generally still doesen't.

Are you suggesting that if 30 users have posted in a thread since I last did a view new content, I should see 30 entries for a single thread?  Fortunately that doesn't happen - it would be fairly hopeless if  it did, wouldn't it?

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

It never used to work like this, and to my mind it generally still doesen't.

Are you suggesting that if 30 users have posted in a thread since I last did a view new content, I should see 30 entries for a single thread?  Fortunately that doesn't happen - it would be fairly hopeless if  it did, wouldn't it?

And to illustrate alan's point I have not visited this thread before now, but it 14 posts and only one entry in VNC. Is that an error?

2 hours ago, RichM said:

I don't see a duplicate? The results in relation to Brexit 2017 were posted by different users. As mentioned, this is by design. 

Well it appears that there are two Brexit threads in VNC.  But there aren't.  I don't understand what you mean by your middle sentence .  I brought this up a few weeks ago, but as I said then, it's no big deal, as if you view one of them the other disappears.  There are never more than two, and it only happens in about one thread in fifty.

4 hours ago, RichM said:

Well I'm also pretty sure that something has changed here.

Previously in VNC only the very latest post in each thread would appear. So in this example WV's post would show but Churchward's wouldn't.

You would only see all the latest posts in that particular thread if you looked at WV's 

Screenshot_20181005-232411.png

On 05/10/2018 at 19:05, RichM said:

Why? I know I'm not alone in wondering this and, apart from saying it's by design, you've not explained it. What is achieved by showing a topic twice in view new posts? In the grand scheme of things it's a minor annoyance but it's certainly bugging me - why?

On 05/10/2018 at 21:57, Mac of Cygnet said:

Well it appears that there are two Brexit threads in VNC.  But there aren't.  I don't understand what you mean by your middle sentence .  I brought this up a few weeks ago, but as I said then, it's no big deal, as if you view one of them the other disappears.  There are never more than two, and it only happens in about one thread in fifty.

It's not meant to suggest that there are two Brexit topics, but rather that one or more members have posted in that topic very recently.

On 05/10/2018 at 23:30, MJG said:

Well I'm also pretty sure that something has changed here.

Previously in VNC only the very latest post in each thread would appear. So in this example WV's post would show but Churchward's wouldn't.

You would only see all the latest posts in that particular thread if you looked at WV's 

Screenshot_20181005-232411.png

It has changed in recent months; the site search engine (which also powers Activity Streams aka VNC) is powered by ElasticSearch rather than running slow MySQL database queries which may or may not return relevant results. Our current search engine is much much faster and on the whole provides more relevant results.  + allows for 3 character search queries without taxing the database. While it's much the same visually, I appreciate there's some slight differences. That said. I'm sure if we were to revert back to the old site search engine we'd receive far more complaints. The old system wasn't designed for indexing 2+ million posts which is why we replaced it.

On 05/10/2018 at 21:44, Mike the Boilerman said:

And to illustrate alan's point I have not visited this thread before now, but it 14 posts and only one entry in VNC. Is that an error?

My understanding is that it only does it for posts within the last hour to indicate topics that are most active at that point in time. The posts you mentioned were submitted hours apart and as such they wouldn't all be displayed in VNC. 

That said, I will feed this back to Invision. Unfortunately we do not develop the software that powers the site nor do we have much influence as to how Invision choose to develop their software. :( We simply implement & maintain it as best as we can. Some things are straight-forward and feasible to change however, others are not.

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 14:44, RichM said:

Is this on view new content? If so the examples I have seen are not duplicates but separate entries posted by 2 or more people. This is by design, so nothing to fix as such. 

So here is todays example of a duplicate post, both by the same person (but time between the posts) but both show a post count of 58

image.png.c56c35e9bec8f4250931b369fefde005.png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So here is todays example of a duplicate post, both by the same person (but time between the posts) but both show a post count of 58

image.png.c56c35e9bec8f4250931b369fefde005.png

Are they not different posts? Maybe i am misunderstanding (not difficult)

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Are they not different posts? Maybe i am misunderstanding (not difficult)

Yes, but RichM said it only happened when 2 or more people posted within an hour.

The Salty Dog is only one person - and despite two posts 7 minutes apart the post count (58) did not change.

I guess its just another 'improvement' that we will have to put up with.