Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
pearley

March of the Widebeams ll

Featured Posts

And now the BCN. 

According to the press release, it will be taking prospective purchasers for trips around the Icknield Port development. 

FB_IMG_1538732681268.jpg

FB_IMG_1538732642409.jpg

FB_IMG_1538732592187.jpg

• Unimpressed 1
  • Angry 2

Funny Name.Port Loo? init

ETA.Sorry I was taking the P.

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or some saddo says "stop taking the P, this is a serious boating forum"

Oh. Is it? Where is the non serious one? 

8 hours ago, pearley said:

And now the BCN. 

According to the press release, it will be taking prospective purchasers for trips around the Icknield Port development. 

FB_IMG_1538732681268.jpg

FB_IMG_1538732642409.jpg

FB_IMG_1538732592187.jpg

IMHO this really is getting beyond a joke - but hey do we really expect a developer who is exploiting the canals for profit to care about them - that's a step way too far

• Greenie 2

Hope I don't meet them with a breasted up pair as I'm taking them back in to Icknield Port. It can get quite tight where boats are moored around the CRT yard.

28 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Hope I don't meet them with a breasted up pair as I'm taking them back in to Icknield Port. It can get quite tight where boats are moored around the CRT yard.

You can rest assured they wont have a clue how to steer it just like they don't have a clue how to engage with the community they are exploiting - urban splash - very appropriate I think they have just sunk with this early marketing stunt - CRT have probably offered them a free mooring in the yard, after all their new regional Director has about as much of a clue as this lot.

Edited by Halsey

23 minutes ago, Halsey said:

You can rest assured they wont have a clue how to steer it just like they don't have a clue how to engage with the community they are exploiting - urban splash - very appropriate I think they have just sunk with this early marketing stunt - CRT have probably offered them a free mooring in the yard, after all their new regional Director has about as much of a clue as this lot.

I thought they were using one of the trip boat steerers, rather than doing it themselves, is that not true?  Surely doing something with Icknield Port Loop is a good thing, and Urban Splash seem to have a history of this type of thing, what it wrong with it?  You can certainly argue why could they could not use a narrowboat for the promotion, but I don’t think it is a massive deal, it can’t really go anywhere.  Could be interesting round the moorings though.

8 hours ago, john6767 said:

I thought they were using one of the trip boat steerers, rather than doing it themselves, is that not true?  Surely doing something with Icknield Port Loop is a good thing, and Urban Splash seem to have a history of this type of thing, what it wrong with it?  You can certainly argue why could they could not use a narrowboat for the promotion, but I don’t think it is a massive deal, it can’t really go anywhere.  Could be interesting round the moorings though.

I'm certainly NOT anti the development but lets see what happens when one of the "prospective buyers" decides living on the summit cc'ing in a wide beam is a cheaper alternative - "thin end of the wedge" and "total lack of thought" are the phrases that spring to mind here - when this promotion boat and the sherborne wharf day boats meet on the sealife centre "mini roundabout" it will be chaos!

Lets consider the partners in this development - Urban Splash pride themselves on having "empathy with their environment" so should have known better - the City Council were led by the nose, grateful that anyone would spend money on this site - CRT as we all know don't know what they are doing and Places for People don't even have an office in "central" England let alone Birmingham

Rant over like most things its already too late to have any influence over the effect this will have but wouldn't it have been so much better if they had used an historic ex working boat for this purpose...……………………………...

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

I'm certainly NOT anti the development but lets see what happens when one of the "prospective buyers" decides living on the summit cc'ing in a wide beam is a cheaper alternative - "thin end of the wedge" and "total lack of thought" are the phrases that spring to mind here - when this promotion boat and the sherborne wharf day boats meet on the sealife centre "mini roundabout" it will be chaos!

Would that really be possible CC'ing on the Birmingham Level or the Wolverhampton level in a widebeam? I don't know the area that well but I seem to remember lots of toll islands which would stop a widebeam moving too far.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, NickF said:

Would that really be possible CC'ing on the Birmingham Level or the Wolverhampton level in a widebeam? I don't know the area that well but I seem to remember lots of toll islands which would stop a widebeam moving too far.

No it would no be possible, but this is only a developers marketing tool, not a liveaboard boat, although it does send the wrong message I guess given this is all over Facebook.

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

Lets consider the partners in this development - Urban Splash pride themselves on having "empathy with their environment" so should have known better - the City Council were led by the nose, grateful that anyone would spend money on this site - CRT as we all know don't know what they are doing and Places for People don't even have an office in "central" England let alone Birmingham

Rant over like most things its already too late to have any influence over the effect this will have but wouldn't it have been so much better if they had used an historic ex working boat for this purpose...……………………………...

Perhaps I am wrong, and it is only my assumption, but at this early stage of the concept I was assuming the boat was to promote the scheme to potential developers not to individual house buyers.  Where we do agree is that perhaps they could have used a narrowboat to do this and accepted the lack of space, and perhaps combined it with a portakabin on the site.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, john6767 said:

…………….. I was assuming the boat was to promote the scheme to potential developers not to individual house buyers...…………...

I don't think so - its to show prospective purchasers the environment they are buying in to - the developer aspect is all sown up so IMHO it will be around the city centre network for 5 years at least 

27 minutes ago, NickF said:

Consider the floating shipping container near Weedon that cant go anywhere but its still there!!😠

9 minutes ago, Halsey said:

I don't think so - its to show prospective purchasers the environment they are buying in to - the developer aspect is all sown up so IMHO it will be around the city centre network for 5 years at least 

Consider the floating shipping container near Weedon that cant go anywhere but its still there!!😠

Perhaps it is, it seems very early to be at that stage though.  You would have thought that once they have a sales centre on site the need for the boat will be diminished.

Isn't the container one on a long term mooring?  It is a least a wide canal though!

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

Perhaps as the Heritage Working Boats are based out of Icknield Port if anyone had done a little research into the area they could have approached us to help with their trips round the loop using one of our ex working boats as we have been doing for the last couple of years with the Roundhouse project.

Is it an actual shipping container, or just a boat which is not very shapely?

31 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Perhaps as the Heritage Working Boats are based out of Icknield Port if anyone had done a little research into the area they could have approached us to help with their trips round the loop using one of our ex working boats as we have been doing for the last couple of years with the Roundhouse project.

Exactly my point BUT that would require someone involved to actually have some knowledge of the canal system...………………………….

30 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is it an actual shipping container, or just a boat which is not very shapely?

As far as I know, and I have seen it, it is actually a shipping container - there have been pictures of it on here in the past - was at Blisworth for a long time

Edited by Halsey

7 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Exactly my point BUT that would require someone involved to actually have some knowledge of the canal system...………………………….

As far as I know, and I have seen it, it is actually a shipping container - there have been pictures of it on here in the past - was at Blisworth for a long time

HEY the new search engine is good ...........................…. found the picture...………...just realized I am guilty of my pet hate -  going off topic😦

20160730_174519_zpsamtaliev[1].jpg

It's hardly off topic if the topic is about widebeam boats and this is one - which it may be, it's hard to tell from the angle.

So, it's a former container dropped into an existing hull? It's probably spacious inside, but rather dark unless it has roof lights.

5 minutes ago, Halsey said:

HEY the new search engine is good ...........................…. found the picture...………...just realized I am guilty of my pet hate -  going off topic😦

20160730_174519_zpsamtaliev[1].jpg

Access to the petrol tank doesn't look particularly convenient.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Access to the petrol tank doesn't look particularly convenient.

Perhaps the rear deck will lift off.

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's hardly off topic if the topic is about widebeam boats and this is one - which it may be, it's hard to tell from the angle.

So, it's a former container dropped into an existing hull? It's probably spacious inside, but rather dark unless it has roof lights.

True but I think its more important to highlight corporate blunders likely to have a detrimental effect on an important part of the system for a long time as with the OP than to worry about some one off idiot who simply presents us all with the need to accept our share of the "don't care non conformists" in society

Edited by Halsey

1 minute ago, Halsey said:

True but I think its more important to highlight corporate blunders likely to have a detrimental effect on an important part of the system for a long time as with the OP than to worry about some one off idiot who simply represents us all accepting our share of the "don't care non conformists" in society

Corporate blunders may have been mentioned as the thread progressed, but initially it was a news item about a new widebeam boat on the B.C.N. - hence the thread title. There was no criticism involved until post number 8. So it could be said that you initially took the thread off topic. I would not say that, though: I'd say that you introduced a new angle and developed the thread, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.