Boat fire at Clifton wharf

Dav and Pen

Featured Posts

There is a report in the Coventry Observer of a boat fire at Clifton Wharf. It was caused by a welding accident and is burnt out inside. It was on the bank being worked on by the owner. It was not insured so a crowdfunding has been started as the owner has lost everything.

No, that concerned a tree which fell on to a boat's roof during high winds. Poor old Clifton Wharf does seem to be in the wars at the moment.

I assume that because the boat was on the bank, and thus not on CART water, it didn't need to be insured - a false economy, it appears.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I assume that because the boat was on the bank, and thus not on CART water, it didn't need to be insured - a false economy, it appears.

If the boat is on CRT waters there is no compulsion to have comprehensive insurance to cover your own losses if you manage to set light to it.

The requirement is only to have the statutory levels of third party cover, which this boat may well have irrespective of it being on the bank.

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Mind you, it does demonstrate what a waste of money insurance is.

Maybe we could all just pay a premium up front to buy a guarantee of a payout from crowd funding?  Oh, now that looks rather a lot like the same thing!

19 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Because if you don't have it you just get crowd funding . Risk underwritten by Facebook. Why be a mug and pay when there's enough mugs to pay for you?

I think the only person who benefits from crowdfunding in general is the site owner, who takes a whacking great cut out of whatever's pledged. And I do wonder how much of it ever actually gets handed over - it always strikes me like the great public fundraisers  - millions get pledged, but my cynical soul wonders if much actually gets to where it's supposed to go.

I also wonder about how the fire started.  The first time I had my boat re-steeled I had to strip it down to the metal on the inside as it was all polystyrene insulation, which just caught fire more or less as soon as a welding torch got close.

41 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I also wonder about how the fire started. 

A "welding accident" according to the newspaper article.

I very much doubt even comprehensive insurance would have covered fire caused by welding. I would have expected the tradesman doing the welding to have (probably very expensive) insurance covering this (very high) risk. If the owner was DIY welding, then I suspect the loss of his boat was down to his own negligence and lack of fire precautions. I don't know who was doing the welding though., the article doesn't say. 

Something catching fire as a result of welding is not an 'accident'.   I would expect the wharf to have a Hot Works procedure in force and to have required the welder/owner of this boat to comply with it as a condition of being on the bank. Welding boats can be  a high-risk,  high hazard activity but the risk and the hazard are easily mitigated by a few simple precautions.    A Hot Works procedure (and a notification method so the boatyard knows they are occurring ) can give guidance and set out the actions needed before, during and after welding to ensure a fire does not develop.

N

6 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Something catching fire as a result of welding is not an 'accident'.   I would expect the wharf to have a Hot Works procedure in force and to have required the welder/owner of this boat to comply with it as a condition of being on the bank. Welding boats can be  a high-risk,  high hazard activity but the risk and the hazard are easily mitigated by a few simple precautions.    A Hot Works procedure (and a notification method so the boatyard knows they are occurring ) can give guidance and set out the actions needed before, during and after welding to ensure a fire does not develop.

N

Lol, you don't know Clifton Wharf very well, I suspect!!