Prince 'on the gravel'

sparrowcycles

Featured Posts

Hey again, rather than block up the historic boats for sale online thread any more I thought id post this on its own thread.

Its only really that, having being told that Prince was (albeit briefly) on 'the gravel' run, I got to wondering how he was painted for it. It was the Threefellows gravel run I presume?

Would Prince have been painted in their colours?

Thanks!

10 hours ago, sparrowcycles said:

Hey again, rather than block up the historic boats for sale online thread any more I thought id post this on its own thread.

Its only really that, having being told that Prince was (albeit briefly) on 'the gravel' run, I got to wondering how he was painted for it. It was the Threefellows gravel run I presume?

Would Prince have been painted in their colours?

Thanks!

If I were you I would ask 'black cap' on this Forum as it was him that had PRINCE on the gravel :captain:

edit = yes, it was the Threefellows Carrying aggregate traffic on the river Soar at Thurmaston.

Edited by pete harrison

Interestingly I was told by a previous owner that Flamingo did a short spell on the gravel.  It was owned at least briefly by Herbert Woods of Threefellows.

However Paul Barber tells me he doesn't believe it ever was.

However Pete clearly indicates above that Prince was used on this traffic, and that sounds the obvious lead to follow up.

6 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Interestingly I was told by a previous owner that Flamingo did a short spell on the gravel.  It was owned at least briefly by Herbert Woods of Threefellows.

However Paul Barber tells me he doesn't believe it ever was.

However Pete clearly indicates above that Prince was used on this traffic, and that sounds the obvious lead to follow up.

ISTR that Herbert Woods was going to lease /borrow "Flamingo" from BW /WW or who ever was the owner/leaser at the time but some set back was en counted & it was never taken up or if it was it never did either any or possibly one trip I know Herbert was looking for more crews & he asked if I would be interested but at the time I declined

19 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

ISTR that Herbert Woods was going to lease /borrow "Flamingo" from BW /WW or who ever was the owner/leaser at the time but some set back was en counted & it was never taken up or if it was it never did either any or possibly one trip I know Herbert was looking for more crews & he asked if I would be interested but at the time I declined

I don't think WW would have had any financial interest in Flamingo for some 16 or so years at that point, and in BW's case more like 26 years.

The information kindly provided to me by Pete suggests that Jim Forster aquired it circa 1986, presumably from the last people operating it as a trip boat, and then Herbert Woods acquired it circa 1987, but that it was quickly sold on and converted to a pleasure boat.

I am currently aware of only 2 times Letchworth, (as she was at the time) was offered for sale, and both are after this point), but I only have a random selection of Waterways World magazines, and I'm sure there must have been other times.

Both times I'm aware of  it was offered as a converted boat by Warwickshire Fly Boat Company.  In September 1989 the asking price was £29,950.  In May 1993 it was £32,500.  I believe it was after a 1993 sale that the name went back to Flamingo.

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I don't think WW would have had any financial interest in Flamingo for some 16 or so years at that point, and in BW's case more like 26 years.

The information kindly provided to me by Pete suggests that Jim Forster aquired it circa 1986, presumably from the last people operating it as a trip boat, and then Herbert Woods acquired it circa 1987, but that it was quickly sold on and converted to a pleasure boat.

I am currently aware of only 2 times Letchworth, (as she was at the time) was offered for sale, and both are after this point), but I only have a random selection of Waterways World magazines, and I'm sure there must have been other times.

Both times I'm aware of  it was offered as a converted boat by Warwickshire Fly Boat Company.  In September 1989 the asking price was £29,950.  In May 1993 it was £32,500.  I believe it was after a 1993 sale that the name went back to Flamingo.

You are probably correct as I think Herbert said on asking if I was interested in a job that he would be leasing it

11 hours ago, pete harrison said:

If I were you I would ask 'black cap' on this Forum as it was him that had PRINCE on the gravel :captain:

edit = yes, it was the Threefellows Carrying aggregate traffic on the river Soar at Thurmaston.

Thank you Pete, I will chase that up. I have already sent an email to the address Liam posted, fingers crossed.. 

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 19:35, sparrowcycles said:

I confess I was dreaming it might have carried the very cool threefellows colours.. 

I thought the Threefellows Carrying colours were horrendous back in the day and still horrendous today, but different things to different people so just for you here is WHITBY at Braunston 2013 (copyright John and Peta Millard).

Mind you the colours I am looking to paint my boat in might be considered controversial :captain: 

S1300057.JPG.7ee041f71f21300a93e58d5b0ff2b6a9.JPG

21 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I thought the Threefellows Carrying colours were horrendous back in the day and still horrendous today, but different things to different people so just for you here is WHITBY at Braunston 2013 (copyright John and Peta Millard).

Mind you the colours I am looking to paint my boat in might be considered controversial :captain: 

I know, I think it's because the colours are so seventies, I especially like the white rubbing bands, but also because I read an article about them and liked the sound of the operation.

But then I'm a bit weird with paintwork I like the old steam tug paint, like on buffalo in the old photos and I'm also into Radiant being maintained in the 90s BW colours with yucky stickers on! I can't explain the differing attractions. 

35 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I know, I think it's because the colours are so seventies, I especially like the white rubbing bands, but also because I read an article about them and liked the sound of the operation.

But then I'm a bit weird with paintwork I like the old steam tug paint, like on buffalo in the old photos and I'm also into Radiant being maintained in the 90s BW colours with yucky stickers on! I can't explain the differing attractions. 

photo.jpeg

Here is a photo Paul sent of Prince during its few months on the gravel, it had a length of conveyor belt caught in the prop! And it is kind of in threefellows colours.. 

Edited by sparrowcycles
Add text

28 minutes ago, sparrowcycles said:

Apart from keeping a handful of boats in full time employment, not to mention those who operated them, there was nothing remotely glamorous about 'the gravel'. The boats were all pretty knackered and were worked extremely hard, resulting in seriously deformed hulls that were far from attractive. Most, if not all of 'the gravel' boats have been subject to major hull works since being sold off in the early 1990's and a couple still carry scars from this period. 'The gravel' was short distance work requiring up to 6 round trips a day, each taking a couple of hours so in some respects was worse than day boating.

I have the greatest of respect for those that worked these boats as in my opinion this was boating at its worst, although the tonnages carried were impressive, I was working as a camping boat steerer when 'the gravel' was running and I never once considered taking employment with Threefellows Carrying :captain: 

edit = prior to 'the gravel' Threefellows Carrying operated boats on the Lime Juice run between Brentford and Boxmoor as well as camping boats (they maintained a pair of camping boats well into the 1980's). These boats had been sourced from British Waterways Board, and all subsequently ended up on 'the gravel' (excluding DITTON).

Edited by pete harrison

3 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Apart from keeping a handful of boats in full time employment, not to mention those who operated them, there was nothing remotely glamorous about 'the gravel'. The boats were all pretty knackered and were worked extremely hard, resulting in seriously deformed hulls that were far from attractive. Most, if not all of 'the gravel' boats have been subject to major hull works since being sold off in the early 1990's and a couple still carry scars from this period. 'The gravel' was short distance work requiring up to 6 round trips a day, each taking a couple of hours so in some respects was worse than day boating.

I have the greatest of respect for those that worked these boats as in my opinion this was boating at its worst, although the tonnages carried were impressive, I was working as a camping boat steerer when 'the gravel' was running and I never once considered taking employment with Threefellows Carrying :captain: 

Yes, Paul said they were carrying 1200-1300 tons a day between 4 pairs sometimes, that's certainly heavy work. I think what I liked from the article was that even that late some people did find carrying work (albeit such hard work). A far cry from the huge fleets but I always like an underdog. 

I have to confess age must be fogging my mind, I honestly did not recall the yellow paint, I do remember tadging out a foot of concrete to put in the new bottom at Humby;s yard, the old Wells wharf opposite Wulfruna Coal, and putting in the JP3 and new cabin, a good few ton went down the Soar that was;nt recorded or paid, you could struggle to get off when loaded, she often dropped another 3 inches when you slid off, just a thought, I hope the person that nicked all my tools from the engine room made good use of them

17 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I thought the Threefellows Carrying colours were horrendous back in the day and still horrendous today, but different things to different people..............................................

I photographed this unlettered large Northwich motor at Braunston on 25 May 1998, and although this particular boat was never in the Threefellows Carrying fleet or even worked on 'the gravel' it is clear where its livery has come from :captain:

img20181007_13212586.jpg.420ea7ced492f82e7f6a60adc2d842e4.jpg

16 hours ago, black cap said:

I do remember tadging out a foot of concrete to put in the new bottom at Humby;s yard, the old Wells wharf opposite Wulfruna Coal, and putting in the JP3 and new cabin

30 minutes ago, fittie said:

Just asking, what is "tagging"? I looked it up and...well...really!

My understanding is 'tadging out' means removing by mechanical means, so in this instance by drill or hammer.

I do remember the concrete floor in PRINCE as it was quite substantial :captain: