Boating in Brittany

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Still managing to be pretty in the rain.

20181011_170739.jpg

A hardtop boat makes a lot of sense in this weather!

Those wide French canal boats are perfectly set up for rain or shine, in my limited experience. The one I have hired had a steering position up on the sun deck, and another in the wheelhouse. I hope you are not too far from a bar/restaurant?

4 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Those wide French canal boats are perfectly set up for rain or shine, in my limited experience. The one I have hired had a steering position up on the sun deck, and another in the wheelhouse. I hope you are not too far from a bar/restaurant?

Not far. In fact you can see it in that picture. It's shut though!

ETA: we have decided we will try a Penichette next time we come this way. They seem a lot more suited to these waters than this Broom 29.

Edited by Naughty Cal

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Its great that properties are still cheap, it hopefuly means youngsters in France can buy a house if they want to? unlike the present day case in much of the UK. One of my grandkids is putting a deposit down on his first house this week he is 21 and its a local help to buy scheme. He still had to find five percent and the small house is 250k........bloomin ridiculous.

Buying in the wrong part of the country then?

1 minute ago, MJG said:

Buying in the wrong part of the country then?

I would tend to agree. The problem of course is his parents live in a very nice but also very expensive part of the country and people do tend to stay in one area, why on earth for instance do people stay in London other than family? its nothing else going for it. He and his better half have reasonable jobs they both enjoy so thats were they are buying. If it were me I would again buy somewhere cheap like Cornwall which is fab but still sensible or id go to Cumbria or up your way or Wales or Jockland.

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I would tend to agree. The problem of course is his parents live in a very nice but also very expensive part of the country and people do tend to stay in one area, why on earth for instance do people stay in London other than family? its nothing else going for it. He and his better half have reasonable jobs they both enjoy so thats were they are buying. If it were me I would again buy somewhere cheap like Cornwall which is fab but still sensible or id go to Cumbria or up your way or Wales or Jockland.

£250k would easily buy a brand new four possibly five bed in our village or the local very nice market town of Guisborough.

Something older like our 24 year old 4 bed detached could be had for less than £190k

Edited by MJG

Just now, MJG said:

£250k would easily buy a brand newv four possibly five bed in our village or the local very nice market town of Guisborough.

Something older like our 24 year old 4 bed detached could be had for less than £190k

£250k is a funny budget in Sheffield. It can get you a beautiful house in a not so desirable area but not even a 1 bed flat in the better areas.

Just now, MJG said:

£250k would easily buy a brand newv four possibly five bed in our village or the local very nice market town of Guisborough.

Yes I know and even then not many years ago your house would have been 50k. He lives in Ringwood so its about as expensive as it gets location wise. A small 2 bed new build is what they get for 250k. 

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes I know and even then not many years ago your house would have been 50k. He lives in Ringwood so its about as expensive as it gets location wise. A small 2 bed new build is what they get for 250k. 

Better not show him this then.

https://www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/find-your-home/england/north-yorkshire/guisborough/galley-hill/194---bradenham

Lovely market town, good local schools too.

1 minute ago, MJG said:

Better not show him this then.

https://www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/find-your-home/england/north-yorkshire/guisborough/galley-hill/194---bradenham

Lovely market town, good local schools too.

Yes its crazy. Kids today have in front of them a life of a fifty year mortgage in many cases. In fairness to him their rent was about fifty quid a month more than their mortgage is going to be, still absolutely barking mad.

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes its crazy. Kids today have in front of them a life of a fifty year mortgage in many cases. In fairness to him their rent was about fifty quid a month more than their mortgage is going to be, still absolutely barking mad.

He didn't have any maintenance to do for that extra £50. 

Although to be fair that should be minimal for a while with it being a new build.

Note the should as it is by no means guaranteed with modern new builds!

The NHBC guarantee, if it has one rather than LABC or Premier, is not worth the paper it written on after 12 months.

To finish off this post  few pictures from the journey home.

Setting off from St Malo before if got rough.

20181013-094443.jpg

20181013-112708.jpg

A few hours into the cruise and we have found a bar that is open. A novelty on this trip and we have this one too ourselves. Perhaps something to do with the ship rolling around!

20181013-141313.jpg

Almost at the ferry terminal. Difficult to get a picture with all the salt spray and we are nine stories up in the Commodore Lounge here!

20181013-190009.jpg

Have to say we were really impressed with ferry Bretagne. The staff were great and we are disappointed we didn't get to sail on here both ways. Maybe next time.

No pictures from the hotel last night but for anyone in the area we would recommend the Red Lion pub and hotel. Quite a large establishment but very well run and a cracking breakfast included. 

We had rubbish weather for the drive back to Lincoln and at times would have been better off in the boat. But we took it steady and made it back safe to pick up Sydney from the dog sitters and get back to Naughty-cal. 

20181014-140333.jpg

We are now sat on the boat having a few quiet beers with one exhausted dog. Think we are ordering something in for dinner tonight. 

20181014-155313.jpg

In summary. We really enjoyed our time in Brittany once we had gotten used to the difference in culture. We would certainly visit again and use Le Boat again but would not have a budget boat again. We would upgrade to a better boat. 

• Greenie 1

On 11/10/2018 at 16:14, MJG said:

We have been to the same areas sometimes years apart and when we return properties that were for sale when we last went still are.

It s quite depressing to see as some of them sit in fantastic locations.

The last time we stayed in a Gite in the Lot and not the 'van the owners had it for sale. Originally it was up for something like 250,000 Euros when we returned two years later it had been reduced to 175,000 Euros and it still hadn't sold. I don't think it even has now.

The French laws on selling property on with all family being involved seems to have a significant bearing If you have an awkward sibling it can be a nightmare, an adjoining strip of land I wished to purchase to give better access took from 2005 /2011 to complete ,6 family members in volved 1 wouldn't agree ,as my neighbor (brother & in agreement with sale) said I  guess we will have to wait for Thebout to pass before we can carry on & this is what happened Can sell under Uk law for selling on if you are ex pats no idea if it will be the same after the Dreaded Brexit

And a few pictures from Sydneys holiday. He had a great time while we were away and we will have no qualms leaving him with the dog sitters again as he had such a good time and was spoilt rotten.

Riding out in the Lotus

43951019-1046235622228259-91215685000521

A visit to Naughty-Cal

43952747-2090908417628455-29299342315702

Out for Sunday Lunch

43951945-1046235428894945-87538792532394

A spot of retail therapy

44052379-2090907764295187-11288174996016