Cleaning narrowboat

Trina

Featured Posts

52 minutes ago, Trina said:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I need to clean it ready for painting. It's sanded down so I'll chuck river water on it and dry it with a towel. I'll use white vinegar to clean the windows. 

If you are painting, the most effective way to clean beforehand would be to use sugar soap. Cheap and easy to obtain, the mild abrasive and degreasing will assist in preparation. 

15 hours ago, WotEver said:

You’re both correct. Most washing up liquids contain ingredients which will do the paintwork no good at all. Things like ammonia and bleach. 

Certainly ruins the finish on cars. I have used car wash detergent from Asda or similar for many years to good effect on car/boat paintwork. 
I agree with the sugar soap prior to painting.

Vinegar having effect on aluminium frames is an interesting thought.  I read somewhere that diluted baby shampoo/soap is good on windows followed by a squeegee.

1 hour ago, Trina said:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I need to clean it ready for painting. It's sanded down so I'll chuck river water on it and dry it with a towel. I'll use white vinegar to clean the windows. 

Use acetone or some other solvent after cleaning the metal with sugar soap, don't use water before painting as you'll just end up having a poor paint job.

Edited by Robbo