Stove with oven - good choice?

Amber34

Featured Posts

We currently have a built in oven on our boat, which is very rarely used and looking destined for removal to free up a bit of space.

We're looking to install a multifuel stove and I am considering something similar to this https://www.modernstoves.co.uk/cooking-stoves/triumph-multi-fuel-cooker-stove.html

Does anyone have experience of cooking with these? I'm thinking  it would only be used for the occasional casserole or similar, but concerned about temperature control on a stove.  

3 hours ago, Amber34 said:

We currently have a built in oven on our boat, which is very rarely used and looking destined for removal to free up a bit of space.

We're looking to install a multifuel stove and I am considering something similar to this https://www.modernstoves.co.uk/cooking-stoves/triumph-multi-fuel-cooker-stove.html

Does anyone have experience of cooking with these? I'm thinking  it would only be used for the occasional casserole or similar, but concerned about temperature control on a stove.  

I'm not an expert - my Management does the cooking - but thinking from my a-competent male point of view -

If you have a temperature controlled oven, you bung the casserole in at a particular selected temperature and monitor it at the time you guessed it would be ready? Then continue until it actually is. That's what my Mum did in Olden Days whe we had a cast iron Rayburn in her cottage.

Nowadays, folks want things known and fixed - so that they can do other things (important or otherwise) while waiting.

Thus, with a steel  cooker / heater, methinks you'll always be fiddling about  - and that may affect your lifestyle.

If you had the heat controllability / reservoir of an Aga or Rayburn - then 'yes' but a thin steel heater with oven attached, methinks you will have some challenges, and it's up to your resilience - if any  (in today's lifestyles) whether it works for you. Remember a stove is great in the winter - but what about the late spring / summer?

We're not liveaboards so various forms of heat are at our whim - the cooker heats the cabin as a by-product. If SWMBO doesn't inform me of a casserole in the offing  and I light the fire - then we get hot and open the window. The reverse applies and we get cold.

If you think deeply the answer is not simply a Yes or No.

Sorry.

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I've bin here over a week. Where you bin? 

A refuse collector is driving along a street picking up the wheelie bins and emptying them into his compactor.

He goes to one house where the bin hasn't been left out, and in the spirit of kindness, and after having a quick look about for the bin, he gets out of his truck, goes to the front door and knocks. There's no answer.

Being a kindly and conscientious bloke, he knocks again - much harder.

Eventually a Chinese man comes to the door.

"Harro!" says the Chinese man.

"Hello sir! Where's ya bin?" asks the collector.

"I bin on toiret" explains the Chinese bloke, a bit perplexed.

Realising the fellow had misunderstood him, the bin man smiles and tries again.

"No! No! Mate, where's your dust bin?"

"I dust been to toiret, I toll you!" says the Chinese man, still perplexed.

"Listen," says the collector. "You're misunderstanding me. Where's your wheelie bin?"

"OK, OK" replies the Chinese man with a sheepish grin. He then whispers in the collector's ear.

"I wheelie bin having sex wiffa wife's sista!"

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Amber34 said:

That stove has an output of 20kw, enough to heat a four bed detached house.  

Are you sure it’s big enough? 

21 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A refuse collector is driving along a street picking up the wheelie bins and emptying them into his compactor.

He goes to one house where the bin hasn't been left out, and in the spirit of kindness, and after having a quick look about for the bin, he gets out of his truck, goes to the front door and knocks. There's no answer.

Being a kindly and conscientious bloke, he knocks again - much harder.

Eventually a Chinese man comes to the door.

"Harro!" says the Chinese man.

"Hello sir! Where's ya bin?" asks the collector.

"I bin on toiret" explains the Chinese bloke, a bit perplexed.

Realising the fellow had misunderstood him, the bin man smiles and tries again.

"No! No! Mate, where's your dust bin?"

"I dust been to toiret, I toll you!" says the Chinese man, still perplexed.

"Listen," says the collector. "You're misunderstanding me. Where's your wheelie bin?"

"OK, OK" replies the Chinese man with a sheepish grin. He then whispers in the collector's ear.

"I wheelie bin having sex wiffa wife's sista!"

tit.jpeg

tit.jpeg

tit.jpeg

Edited by rusty69

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That stove has an output of 20kw, enough to heat a four bed detached house.  

Streuth, you're right!   That'll heat the boat's fore and aft too, and the OP won't be able to share his boat with it when it's on!

Amber, have a look at something like a Bubble - they do a 4kW one.  Good stoves, but nothing like as cheap mind.  Harwortheating.co.uk

Most people are making the standard mistake as regards heat output. The figure quoted is the stove rating for maximum safe heat output, going above this figure you risk the stove failing. Most stoves don't run at the maximum output. I have for the last three years have been using a Prity FM (12 KW) Mult fuel stove and oven in the winter months. I don't run it out full output, the main advanage with the large firebox is that I can place a large log on the fire which will burn all night (Think 12" of telegraph pole). The oven has a temperature gauge which when conbined with the flue temperature gauge allows me to control the oven temperature with the fire. The duck that I roasted tonight come out lovely. The large ashpan also means I only have to empty the pan once or twice a week. The fire is easy to control once you are used to it with the fuel that you normaly use.

Prity FM Multi fuel stove with Oven 12kw

There is this one as well rated 8Kw Ashford 8KW Mult fuel stove with oven