Shurflo water pump

Featured Posts

Pump has been running ok but lately it has been taking its time turning itself off after running the water. Yesterday things took a turn for the worse in that if I run the tap for a length of time (filling washing-up bowl for instance) the flow rate drops off and the water coming out the tap takes on the look of there being an air lock - the tap splashes and spurts. Turn taps off and again the pump takes an age to turn itself off. Nor sure - did not have time to investigate in detail - but I ink there is water seeping through a join on the pump casing. Any ideas?

Thanks

Yep.Sounds like a leak to me,if you have water in the tank,no obstructions,blocked filters etc and charged batteries with good voltage at the pump.

ETA check the strainer if you have one aint cracked!

ETAA. Check the tap hasn't got one of those silly filters on the end that is blocked

Edited by rusty69

8 minutes ago, Traveller said:

Nor sure - did not have time to investigate in detail - but I ink there is water seeping through a join on the pump casing. Any ideas?

They do this after a while. People consider them as a consumable item so it is probably time for a replacement. Many people try to repair Shurflow pumps but without much success. I would first check that the filter fitted before the pump is clear and if you have one check the pressure in the accumulator. This will not be related but now would be a good time to do it.

You might want to consider a change in the make of pump as a replacement.

Batteries/elec and plumbing are all in good order. 

It is running in a pressurised system and I was wondering if there is a way / a pump capable of running the fresh water system without the accumulator. 

Edited by Traveller

2 minutes ago, philjw said:

They do this after a while. People consider them as a consumable item so it is probably time for a replacement. Many people try to repair Shurflow pumps but without much success. I would first check that the filter fitted before the pump is clear and if you have one check the pressure in the accumulator. This will not be related but now would be a good time to do it.

Seconded. Years ago i used to mess about repairing them but price has come down over the years as has quality so just replace. They cost the same today as they did thirty years ago so in effect the price has come down considerably.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, philjw said:

What make would you suggest? Are  Shurflo not so good?

6 minutes ago, Traveller said:

Batteries/elec and plumbing are all in good order. 

It is running in a pressurised system and I was wondering if there is a way / a pump capable of running the fresh water system without the accumulator. 

Jabsco parmax suggest no accumulator is required

I fitted one of these last time, not because I don't like Shurflow but because the nearest chandlery didn't have one when the last Shurflow failed in the same way as yours. It is a bit noisier and takes longer to shut off but is an easy replacement. It's done 2 years in leisure use and is fine so far.

https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en/Jabsco-Par-Max-19-Pressure-Controlled-Pump-12v-DC/m-1851.aspx?PartnerID=108&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping - UK - Brand - New&utm_term=4578022832539387&utm_content=Ad Group %231

39 minutes ago, Traveller said:

Pump has been running ok but lately it has been taking its time turning itself off after running the water. Yesterday things took a turn for the worse in that if I run the tap for a length of time (filling washing-up bowl for instance) the flow rate drops off and the water coming out the tap takes on the look of there being an air lock - the tap splashes and spurts. Turn taps off and again the pump takes an age to turn itself off. Nor sure - did not have time to investigate in detail - but I ink there is water seeping through a join on the pump casing. Any ideas?

Thanks

My Sureflow leaked at the joint in casing and started behaving strangely. Repairable, but given its age I decided to replace it but with a Jabsco. Other thing to check is accumulator pressure; mine is at 15 psi.

ps the new pump is capable of running without an accumulator, but mine has one anyway so used it.

15 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I have a whale at present which is doing well and have had jabsco.

I would have gone for a Whale pump but needed one in a hurry. The whale waste pump for the bath/shower is a superb piece of kit, just about 1000 times better than the previous tupperware box with float switch affair.

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, philjw said:

I fitted one of these last time, not because I don't like Shurflow but because the nearest chandlery didn't have one when the last Shurflow failed in the same way as yours. It is a bit noisier and takes longer to shut off but is an easy replacement. It's done 2 years in leisure use and is fine so far.

https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en/Jabsco-Par-Max-19-Pressure-Controlled-Pump-12v-DC/m-1851.aspx?PartnerID=108&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping - UK - Brand - New&utm_term=4578022832539387&utm_content=Ad Group %231

Thanks - I have two sinks (four taps) and a shower with a Paloma water heater. Will the 1.9 be sufficient?

30 minutes ago, philjw said:

Anyone who claims that, has either not actually done it themselves, or have been careless with the repair. Two items routinely fail on the Shurflo pump, the diaphragm, and the pressure switch. A diaphragm repair kit can be bought for about 30% of the cost of a new pump, and the pressure switch usually just needs removing and any limescale gently brushed off. Both jobs take less than an hour (including removal and reinstatement) . The other issue which some people report is leaking, which is also cured with a new diaphragme kit.

I have heard that the newer Shurflo pumps are less reliable, but both the pumps I had on Helvetia were the older 2088/2095 models and were more than twenty years old. I always kept a spare serviced pump on the boat for immedaite replacement, along with a couple of repair kits

Edited by David Schweizer

1 minute ago, Traveller said:

Thanks - I have two sinks (four taps) and a shower with a Paloma water heater. Will the 1.9 be sufficient?

Yes. Do you ever have them all running at the same time? The jabsco is 62.50 including delivery from boatwarehouse on fleabay. First one i fitted nearly thirty years ago cost me eighty quid.

11 minutes ago, Traveller said:

I have similar, but went for the 2.9 version.(check your paloma can take the pressure first)

Edited by rusty69
spelling

26 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Anyone who claims that, has either not actually done it themselves, or have been careless with the repair. Two items routinely fail on the Shurflo pump, the diaphragm, and the pressure switch. A diaphragm repair kit can be bought for about 30% of the cost of a new pump, and the pressure switch usually just needs removing and any limescale gently brushed off. Both jobs take less than an hour (including removal and reinstatement) . The other issue which some people report is leaking, which is also cured with a new diaphragme kit.

I have heard that the newer Shurflo pumps are less reliable, but both the pumps I had on Helvetia were the older 2088/2095 models and were more than twenty years old. I always kept a spare serviced pump on the boat for immedaite replacement, along with a couple of repair kits

Well I fix/bodge most things but I have wasted money on two sets of spares now, never again

51 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Seconded. Years ago i used to mess about repairing them but price has come down over the years as has quality so just replace

Same here smelly.For years I would fix (bodge) a leaking shurflo back into service, for it to inevitably leak again 6 months on. These days, I buy a new one, keeping a spare on the shelf for when that too fails. Pumps are consumables!

• Greenie 1

How would you like it if you were permanently pumped up with wind and couldn't burp or fart to get rid of it, you'd go POP!!.  A bit like a terrible WW2 Japanese torture where they would poke a hose pipe into a captives mouth securing it around the lips with a hose clip and then turn the tap full on.  All of the pumps will last much much longer if the pressure is reduced after the use of the shower or tap. It needs switches in bathroom and kitchen close to the devices. After using the shower or a tap, switch the pump off and crack the tap or shower open for a second or two to relieve some pressure.

2 hours ago, Traveller said:

Thanks

Sound exactly the symptoms I experienced before finding water pickup pipe blocked - see 'What have you fettled today' post #1055.

Probably not the same but worth checking before purchasing a new pump.

4 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

That's all one really needs to know!

I repaired my old Shurflo Aquaking which started leaking after about 4 years of liveaboard use by replacing the diaghram which cost about 25 quid at the time (about 10 years ago). It lasted about another year before it started leaking again. I chucked it away and bought a Jabsco Parmax 3 which has been working fine ever since. Shurflow are inferior items in my opinion. Avoid.

Edited by blackrose

My Jabsco pump has just done exactly the same. Got water in the bilges after a week of spluttering. Disassembled the bed yesterday to get to the pump and replaced it, CBA to try and repair it. All good now just got to keep hovering the bilges for a few days.

The previous Shureflow is still under there with a bust pressure switch, pumps last about 5 years.

Trouble is with all these pumps is that the internal micro switch aint fit for purpose, the reason why Tony B often recommends an external square d type switch. Its always a bet which will happen first with a shurflo,the bl££dy thing leaks or the pressure switch packs up.

9 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Jabsco parmax suggest no accumulator is required

But even better with an accumulator. 

Buy 2* 2.9's so you have  a spare when the next one goes. At £60 a pop it's not bad value. Absolutely pointless trying to fix them.