1000w watt inverter - absolute beginner question.

Tom Morgan

Featured Posts

I have used the forum's search facility but haven't found an answer to my question, probably because it's so basic!

The Norman 23 I've just bought has a 1000w inverter and one 12v battery.  I've only had the chance to visit my new boat once, and that was a "checking it over" visit.  The battery is quite well-charged, reading about 12.4 volts.

I'm sorry not to have thought to take a photo of the inverter or maker a note of the make/model, but it has an on/off switch, three lights and two plug sockets. I think it may have a USB socket, too.

When I switch it on it beeps, the three lights come on for a second and then go off, and that's it.  Nothing was plugged into it.

My basic question is - what's supposed to happen?

Edited by Tom Morgan
Spelling mistake

4 minutes ago, Tom Morgan said:

I have used the forum's search facility but haven't found an answer to my question, probably because it's so basic!

The Norman 23 I've just bought has a 1000w inverter and one 12v battery.  I've only had the chance to visit my new boat once, and that was a "checking it over" visit.  The battery is quite well-charged, reading about 12.4 volts.

I'm sorry not to have thought to take a photo of the inverter or maker a note of the make/model, but it has an on/off switch, three lights and two plug sockets. I think it may have a USB socket, too.

When I switch it on it beeps, the three lights come on for a second and then go off, and that's it.  Nothing was plugged into it.

My basic question is - what's supposed to happen?

Not enough info Tom. They are not all the same, peeps need to know the make and model. The battery is ok but not full and only one isnt going to be much use with the inverter if used in anger.

I had nothing to plug in! To be honest, I can't see myself needing the inverter much, but it was included in the sale but not actually fitted when I viewed the boat (the previous owner was using it on his narrowboat).   I saw it in place when I made my first visit as owner, and only switched it on to see if it was connected.  I understand that make and model info is pretty important to those trying to answer my question.  So let's put this on hold until Sunday, when I'll be able to say exactly what it is. I'll be staying on the boat Sunday night ready for an early start to another marina for craning on Monday morning.  I'll have a look and post details then.  In the meantime, thanks for people's comments so far.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Tom Morgan said:

I understand that make and model info is pretty important to those trying to answer my question.  So let's put this on hold until Sunday, when I'll be able to say exactly what it is.

Once you've found out what model it is, try googling for the manual for it, which will answer your question (assuming you find it). 

Same applies for virtually every question that one might expect to be answered in the manual!

12.4V on the battery is NOT "quite well charged".  Where were you measuring the voltage - at the battery or the input to the inverter?

Do you have an outboard motor? If so, it probably has very limited charging capacity - better to take the battery home to charge properly.

What size is the battery?  Running the inverter to run anything will probably clobber it quite hard.

As asked  above, we need more information!