Water pump starting inttermitant every 20 minutes.

wullie

Featured Posts

Our water pump starts and runs for a couple seconds every 30min. I've checked for leaks and found nothing, no leaks or damp found on the joints,I've got an accumulator fitted and wondered if it could be fault in that.

15 minutes ago, wullie said:

Our water pump starts and runs for a couple seconds every 30min. I've checked for leaks and found nothing, no leaks or damp found on the joints,I've got an accumulator fitted and wondered if it could be fault in that.

We had something very similar and couldnt find any obvious leak for ages. Eventually, however, when in the engine compartment a tiny leak was found in an almost hidden place at the back of the calorifier. 

Howard

It can be flow back on the pump valves BUT the overwhelming possibility is that you do have a leak. Do make a total search of all the hot and cold pipes, fittings, taps, calorifier water heater, etc before damage is caused. Check that the pressure release valve is not dribbling.

Have you checked that there is no water in the extreme rear of the bilge under the floor?

46 minutes ago, wullie said:

I am new here so apologies if I give you wrong information.

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago and after reading some old posts on here decided to check the pressure on the accumulator.  There is an air valve like on a car tyre. When I pressed that no air came out.  I used a car foot pump and put some air back in it and it has worked fine since. 

I also noticed that the taps now run more steadily without pulsing - which I assume is how it should have worked in the first place.

BMP

1 hour ago, bmp said:

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago and after reading some old posts on here decided to check the pressure on the accumulator.  There is an air valve like on a car tyre. When I pressed that no air came out.  I used a car foot pump and put some air back in it and it has worked fine since. 

I also noticed that the taps now run more steadily without pulsing - which I assume is how it should have worked in the first place.

BMP

Rather than just putting some air in, you might want to set the tank to it’s optimum pressure.  The accumulator tank pressure should be set a little below the water pump cut-in pressure (say -0.2bar) whereas an expansion vessel should to pressurised to a little above the pump cut-out pressure.  Say +0.2bar

I've seen it suggested on here before that such a symptom is caused by nothing more than the water in your your calorifier cooling.

I have no idea if it does cause it but if you have eliminated leaks internal and external this is all it might be.

1 hour ago, bmp said:

BMP

We had this a few weeks ago only the pump was pulsing on briefly every few minutes with no taps on. Re- pressurised the air in the accumulator and the water in the pipes stays at pressure for several days even though the pump is switched off.

9 hours ago, bmp said:

BMP

Exactly the same suggestion I would have made - once it  was clear the pump wasn't emptying the fresh water tank to somewhere unintentional!  Even if it isn't the only problem, if you're fault finding you don't need a wrongly pressurised accumulator complicating the symptoms.  

Depending on the size of the accumulator, you should get about half a litre or so of water out of the tap before the pump kicks in and the pump should run on for a few seconds after the tap is closed. This simple check is something you can witness every time you use a tap, which is one good reason not to have too quiet a fresh water pump - the other being you can hear it kick when the system is not in use in if there is a leak. 

It is how yours should have worked in the first place, so you nailed that one BMP!

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Detling said:

Do you have shut off valves for various sections?  If so close one until the problem stops. I have one on the loo, one washing machine and one for the hot water fill. Closing one at a time would at least eliminate some areas.

My first step would be to close the valve between cw tank and pump. It will tell you if the problem is back-leakage from the pump.