Calorifier woes

Featured Posts

Good morning everybody, I have a 55l surecal twin coil calorifier. Also connected to this is an eberspacher. The e researcher makes all the raciators really hot but after a few hours you just get literally half a litre of hot water through taps. When plugged in to the emersion the same thing. Any ideas please? Cheers

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think we have had this one before from someone and the hot take off/cold feed were the wrong way round.

Yes that would do it. Hard to imagine any other possibilities!

So... is this a recent problem arising, or has it always been like this? 

25 minutes ago, philjw said:

Is the calorifier vertical or horizontal?
Is the hot water take off at the top and the cold feed at the bottom?

How does it perform when the engine is heating the tank?

Any chance of a photo of the tank and its plumbing?

Hi guys thanks for speedy replies. So this boat is new to me, in fact it's my first ever boat. So the top pipe goes onto an expansion tank. I cracked the top connector and a load of air came rushing out

DSC_0846.JPG

Hmm I think pipes are wrong way round now looking at it. The expansion tank should be on the cold line, correct?

If you have a non return valve on the cold into the calorifier you need another expansion vessel on the cold. Otherwise tte one on the hot is fine providing it is pumped up and serviceable.

You seem to have an adjustable thermostat on the hot out, have you tried setting the temperature?

Edited by Boater Sam

You haven't told us yet if the engine manages to heat more water than the eberspacher. I can't tell which coil is the engine loop and which the eber. In horizontal calorifiers the top coil is said to heat less water as there is less above the coil. 

Which pipe let out the air? If it was the hot water take off then I would have thought that there would have been issues with the flow of water coming out of the hot tap. It could mean that the calorifier was not full.

If however the air came from the heating coil then you may have already solved the problem

OK guys soiswappes the pipes around the cold water Inis attached now to the top hot cold fitting and the hot is Coming from where the prv valve is. I now have lots of hot water but is this the way it should be? It seems wrong to me

Cheers

My two pennyworth

I cant get a clear view of all the pipe connections but I would expect the cold to go in the lowest pipe and the hot to come out of the highest. At present the thing with what has been said to be a mixing valve on it would be the hot out but to me it seem too low down on the calorifier.

Is there a blanking plug on the far end that is higher up?

55 Litre Horizontal Single Coil Surecal Calorifier

This is a twin coil surecal horizontal calorifier.  The hot take off is the spur that comes off the mixer with the black knob. The black knob adjusts the temperature of the water at the taps. I you now have this as your take off it is correct. The bit at the bottom with the red knob is the Pressure Relief Valve (PRV). The cold feed is to the left.  the remaining tails are the two coils.

10 minutes ago, philjw said:

55 Litre Horizontal Single Coil Surecal Calorifier

This is a twin coil surecal horizontal calorifier.  The hot take off is the spur that comes off the mixer with the black knob. The black knob adjusts the temperature of the water at the taps. I you now have this as your take off it is correct. The bit at the bottom with the red knob is the Pressure Relief Valve (PRV). The cold feed is to the left.  the remaining tails are the two coils.

Hmm as it stands at the moment mine is the opposite way around? Yet I'm.hetting more hot water at taps? I'm confused 

4 minutes ago, Pirateringo said:

Hmm as it stands at the moment mine is the opposite way around? Yet I'm.hetting more hot water at taps? I'm confused 

Have you actually felt the pipes to ensure what you think is the cold feed pipe actually is the cold feed pipe. The only other thing I can think is the temperature mixer is faulty and soon as the hot water hits it its mixing in 100 cold and zero hot water.

Right I've just changed the pipes back to the way it's supposed to be so the cold in is going to the mixer and the hot out is coming off the prv. Now if I turn off the cold water supply the hot water is really hot. So I'm assuming the mixer is at fault! But I don't understand why there's an expansion tank on the hot out pipes? Shouldn't it be on the cold in? I have an accumulator tank by pump and this expansion tank is by calorific on the hot out run!

13 minutes ago, Pirateringo said:

I don't understand why there's an expansion tank on the hot out pipes?

Because hot water expands and if you don’t have one either the PRV has to operate or the tank splits. That’s assuming that the cold in has a non-return-valve, which most do these days. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Because hot water expands and if you don’t have one either the PRV has to operate or the tank splits. That’s assuming that the cold in has a non-return-valve, which most do these days. 

But if it did he wouldn't have been able to get a flow with it connected backwards.

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

But if it did he wouldn't have been able to get a flow with it connected backwards.

Depends on where the NRV is I guess. It can’t be on the tank’s input spigot as you observe but whoever plumbed it in did it right (expansion tank on the hot side) so would they have missed off an NRV on the cold feed?

34 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Depends on where the NRV is I guess. It can’t be on the tank’s input spigot as you observe but whoever plumbed it in did it right (expansion tank on the hot side) so would they have missed off an NRV on the cold feed?

I think Surecal calorifier come with a NRV as standard.

OK guys, cheers I found the info on expansion tank. Now the hot is there at the start then goes milder then as soon as pump kicks in its cold. I'm guessing this must be the mixer valve allowing too much cold in? And then when pump kicks in it just goes straight through?? 

34 minutes ago, Pirateringo said:

OK guys, cheers I found the info on expansion tank. Now the hot is there at the start then goes milder then as soon as pump kicks in its cold. I'm guessing this must be the mixer valve allowing too much cold in? And then when pump kicks in it just goes straight through?? 

Have you tried turning the black knob on the mixer valve rom one end to the other to see if affects the temperature of the hot water? 

It might just be set to the fully cold setting.

23 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Have you tried turning the black knob on the mixer valve rom one end to the other to see if affects the temperature of the hot water? 

It might just be set to the fully cold setting.

Yeah it makes no difference butthehot water is in calorifier

image.png.7ed1f6d0d0d4c6a7559c09b0960c8283.png

This is the way it needs to be. The expansion tank is Teed off the hot take off.  Turning the black knob allows more or less cold to flow through the braided conection to adjust the water temperature. The spigot from the PRV with the red knob is to deal with any water passing out of the PRV when it operates. Take it to a suitable drain point.

Edited by philjw
remove one image
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, philjw said:

Here's a link to Surecal's fitting instructions:

http://www.surejust.co.uk/surecal-horizontal-calorifier-connection-instructions

Ooops. It has already been posted above re non-return valve by System 4-50.  It does show how to connect up the system

Cheers mate, mine is all set up like that, as soon as the pump kicks in its freezing cold, so I'm assuming the hot cold valve is faulty. I've ordered another one so well see. Cheers for all your help