gu boats working for A Wander

fittie

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, fittie said:

asWhat GU boat were sold/rented out to A Wander Ltd (Ovaltine)?

A. Wander Ltd. purchased the following boats from G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd.:

01/1941 - motor GRUS (renamed as CECIL)

01/1941 - motor ISIS (renamed as JIMMY)

08/1942 - motor ARCTURUS

09/1943 - motor MIMAS

01/1941 - butty HEBE (renamed as RAY)

01/1941 - butty URSA (renamed as ENID)

08/1942 - butty HECTOR

All other A. Wander boats were built by W. H. Walker and Bros. Ltd. specifically for A. Wander Ltd.. I am not aware of A. Wander Ltd. hiring any boats from G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

12 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

One of our friends bought Isis/ Jimmy in 1986 or so. She had an sr4 in her. I moved her a few times. Fantastic handling and speed, much better than a woolwich or northwich. She was a bit dodgy then so i expect she has gone.

The engine in JIMMY / ISIS was a Lister SL4 and was fitted in about 1960, possibly replacing a Bolinder. The original National from this boat is an exhibit at the National Waterways Museum, Gloucester, having been removed from the ice boat PELICAN in the 1980's. I last saw ISIS on 21 June 2000 when I photographed it as a house boat in very poor condition at Kensal Green, and although for sale I have not heard of it since :captain:

Mimas and Ray looked good when owned by Doug Jones at Rickmansworth in the late 70s and 80s but were probably not in the best condition under the shiny paint.  Mimas has since been immaculately restored by Chris Collins up the Troy Cut while Ray lays awaiting possible attention sunk in the reeds nearby.

Paul

(that’s Ray the boat not Ray T the last poster!)

Edited by Paul H
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Mimas and Ray looked good when owned by Doug Jones at Rickmansworth in the late 70s and 80s but were probably not in the best condition under the shiny paint.

I sometimes used to lock wheel for them when they came through our local patch.

I distinctly remember Doug pulling out a large lump of felt like material from the basket on the front of his bike, and expaining how he used it to make a sandwich as he screwed patches over soft bits in Ray's bottom.

So I think you are fairly spot on, Paul!

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

Mimas and Ray looked good when owned by Doug Jones at Rickmansworth in the late 70s and 80s but were probably not in the best condition under the shiny paint.  Mimas has since been immaculately restored by Chris Collins up the Troy Cut while Ray lays awaiting possible attention sunk in the reeds nearby.

Paul

(that’s Ray the boat not Ray T the last poster!)

Chris Collins photo's

Troycut024.jpg

mimas.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

On 04/10/2018 at 07:44, pete harrison said:

The engine in JIMMY / ISIS was a Lister SL4 and was fitted in about 1960, possibly replacing a Bolinder. The original National from this boat is an exhibit at the National Waterways Museum, Gloucester, having been removed from the ice boat PELICAN in the 1980's. I last saw ISIS on 21 June 2000 when I photographed it as a house boat in very poor condition at Kensal Green, and although for sale I have not heard of it since :captain:

And Grus is sunk just below hanham lock where the Kennet and Avon ends.