Mastervolt Charger query

jenevers

Featured Posts

I plugged into the mains last night, for the first time in over a year (been on 800W solar feeding 6x 6v Trojans).

The 12/80 Mass 12 volt Charger went into Float eventually, but this morning has gone back to back into absorption. At the moment it’s reading 15.16v!! and 12.5A. Should I be worried?

Sounds like it’s decided that your batteries are due an equalisation charge. It should drop back into absorption or float after about an hour. Just keep an eye on it to ensure that it does, and don’t forget to check electrolyte levels afterwards. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Sounds like it’s decided that your batteries are due an equalisation charge. It should drop back into absorption or float after about an hour. Just keep an eye on it to ensure that it does, and don’t forget to check electrolyte levels afterwards. 

Thanks. Levels are OK. I thought 15.16v was a bit high. Batteries are only slightly warm. Btw even though I have temperature sensors on the batteries, the Tracer remote control seems to indicate the temperature of the Tracer itself rather than the batteries, is this normal?

All that and plus... if your DC load is high enough, it'll drop the voltage low enough for the Mastervolt to kick in an absorption cycle. Lights on, shower using water pump and gulper, fridge door opening and closing at breakfast time causing that to work overtime, etc.  Has it settled down now and gone back to float?

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

Don’t forget that whatever voltage you set is the one you’ll get at 25C. If the battery temperature is colder than that, the voltage will be higher.

Good point. It was only 17C.

51 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

All that and plus... if your DC load is high enough, it'll drop the voltage low enough for the Mastervolt to kick in an absorption cycle. Lights on, shower using water pump and gulper, fridge door opening and closing at breakfast time causing that to work overtime, etc.  Has it settled down now and gone back to float?

Yes, back on float. Been 14.08v for last 4 hours.