Etruria Moorings

Nick D

Featured Posts

We are planning a three week cruise up the T&M mid/late October and onto the Caldon Canal and back.  We had hoped to stay overnight at the Etruria visitor moorings but these are currently closed.  I seem to remember that there are further moorings a bit further north above the junction and a winding hole where we can turn and then get on the Caldon.  What I can't remember is whether these moorings  (near to a Toby Carvery and a boatyard I think) are permanent or visitor moorings.  Can anyone shed any light please?

There are visitor mooring by the Toby pub - usually a few boats there but there's plenty of room. And plenty of room to turn. The marina is adjacent but separate, if you see what I mean. The bottom of the Caldon can be a bit rough at night - first safe moorings are up at Milton or just a bit further at Engine Lock. There's room on the curve just after Milton Bridge for a few boats - it's pretty narrow round there.  If you do books, there's a cracking 2nd hand bookshop in Milton...

1 hour ago, Nick D said:

We had hoped to stay overnight at the Etruria visitor moorings but these are currently closed.

Only on the T&M - If you turn on to the Caldon, you can still moor at Etruria services or just round the corner below the staircase.

Should also add: keep an eye on the stoppage notice for the lift bridge the other side of Hanley - the repairs there seem to be "ongoing".

Edited by Señor Chris

1 hour ago, Señor Chris said:

Only on the T&M - If you turn on to the Caldon, you can still moor at Etruria services or just round the corner below the staircase.

Should also add: keep an eye on the stoppage notice for the lift bridge the other side of Hanley - the repairs there seem to be "ongoing".

Bridge is fixed now. 

54 minutes ago, Nick D said:

Am I right in thinking that the Caldon is worth a visit?

Most definitely. It's like a quiet, scenic country lane compared to the T&M motorway. Worth doing the whole thing to both Leek and Froghall. Even the first bit through Stoke isn't without interest but most people advise not stopping overnight until Engine Lock at least. Park Lane services are also excellent.

2 hours ago, Señor Chris said:

Most definitely. It's like a quiet, scenic country lane compared to the T&M motorway. Worth doing the whole thing to both Leek and Froghall. Even the first bit through Stoke isn't without interest but most people advise not stopping overnight until Engine Lock at least. Park Lane services are also excellent.

Agreed. The very first bit has to be hurried through but then the rest is lovely, and so quiet. Go for it - you'll enjoy every minute

It also has some excellent pubs.

The Hollybush pub is accessible from both Leek and Froghall branches and baked their own biscuits for doggy visitors last time we were there.

The Black Lion at Consall Forge is a classic canalside pub.

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

It also has some excellent pubs.

The Hollybush pub is accessible from both Leek and Froghall branches and baked their own biscuits for doggy visitors last time we were there.

The Black Lion at Consall Forge is a classic canalside pub.

Another vote for a visit to the Black Lion, plus the interesting cantilevered railway platform above the canal. The Caldon is definitely worth a visit.

Two years ago we moored on two separate nights just above Bridge 14A with no difficulty.

OTOH, we have not seen any more problems in the first part of the Caldon than any other urban stretch. I suspect that some people are still perpetuating a myth from a long time ago! Redevelopment means that there is very much less of the industrial heritage still active and you are more likely to see new housing developments, both flats and houses.

Do check the status of the upper part as some was closed during the summer for water preservation.

A great canal to spend a few days on.

31 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Two years ago we moored on two separate nights just above Bridge 14A with no difficulty.

OTOH, we have not seen any more problems in the first part of the Caldon than any other urban stretch. I suspect that some people are still perpetuating a myth from a long time ago! Redevelopment means that there is very much less of the industrial heritage still active and you are more likely to see new housing developments, both flats and houses.

Do check the status of the upper part as some was closed during the summer for water preservation.

A great canal to spend a few days on.

Perhaps the luck of the draw, as a member on here reported significant problems two years before that.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Got stuck on that stretch recently when the lift bridge broke. Left the boat for a few hours and walked into Hanley then spent a very quiet Sunday night there.

I sometimes visit the bottom end of the Caldon on foot.It's not the place it once was. Much improved by redevelopment. Even Hanley Park has benefited from a £2 million pound makeover. I think we are living in the past.  Even feral children have access to mobile phones and the internet these days. Causing havoc down by the cut just doesn't have the same attraction any more. 

The Black Lion at Consall Forge is not to be missed, we elected to miss out the Hollybush this year following a couple of disappointing visits. Plenty of decent pubs in Leek but you do have to walk a mile or so through the industrial estate to get to them.

The Caldon, is a lovely canal - probably my favourite.  I was going to visit it early September, but they closed Hazlehurst Locks to save water by ensuring as much as possible of the water from Rudyard Reservoir (after which Rudyard Kipling was named) went down to the T&M rather than Froghall.  I believe the locks are open again now. Don't miss it.

1 hour ago, Cheshire cat said:

I sometimes visit the bottom end of the Caldon on foot.It's not the place it once was. Much improved by redevelopment. Even Hanley Park has benefited from a £2 million pound makeover. I think we are living in the past.  Even feral children have access to mobile phones and the internet these days. Causing havoc down by the cut just doesn't have the same attraction any more. 

The Black Lion at Consall Forge is not to be missed, we elected to miss out the Hollybush this year following a couple of disappointing visits. Plenty of decent pubs in Leek but you do have to walk a mile or so through the industrial estate to get to them.

I thought the Holly Bush OK but nothing out of the ordinary, nothing wrong with it.

• 4 weeks later...