Passing of moored boats on the river

Matthew77

Featured Posts

Isn't just Wells either!

FB-IMG-1539533948639.jpg

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Haven't seen that one for a while 

Funnily enough we saw her a few weeks ago. Can't remember where now but no she isn't fishing from Wells anymore.

Was the first picture of a fishing boat passing the moorings at Wells that came to hand.

Also saw Two Brothers which I don't believe is in Wells anymore.

5 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Isn't just Wells either!

FB-IMG-1539533948639.jpg

Funnily enough we saw her a few weeks ago. Can't remember where now but no she isn't fishing from Wells anymore.

Was the first picture of a fishing boat passing the moorings at Wells that came to hand.

Also saw Two Brothers which I don't believe is in Wells anymore.

Two brothers is still there.He is one of the worse offenders. Still spose they gotta make a living.

8 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Isn't just Wells either!

FB-IMG-1539533948639.jpg

Last Summer we were heading down the Humber and this apparition appeared - huge it was with cranes and big 'poles' and all sorts of things sticking up and it was 'square' (no bow)

It was making a fair speed coming up-stream, as it neared we saw that it was the Windfarm windmill installation platform with jack-up legs, helicopter pad and the works.

It was about 6am and the grand daughter was still in bed (with the roof hatch slightly open as it was very hot) as it went passed us we were caught in some of the roughest water I've been in for a long time, the distance of the 'waves' was such that every time we went 'down' we ended up going deeper and deeper - all at once there was a scream from the forward cabin - the waves had broken over the bow, rolled up the deck and thru' the hatch - result a very wet, very wide awake little girl.

'Hatches closed' is now part of the pre-departure checks !!!

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 1
  • Horror 1

We had a 3am departure from Grimsby.

The sun wasn't over the horizon yet but you could start to make out shapes in the gathering light.

A shape started to loom ahead. It was large. Very large and appeared to be the shape of an apartment block. 

We had to check,  double check and triple check on the plotter that we were not heading for Grimsby. 

Allegedly we were not. 

As the light gained it became apparent what we could see was a container ship with three tugs at work and the spot lights on the ship.

Not something we will ever forget.

Stunning to watch though. 

• Greenie 1

And here's one we met earlier. Rhine somewhere South of Strasbourg, We're not moored or anything but it doesn't half make the boat bounce and the wash comes back off the banks and the confused water is really unpleasant.

IMG_0503.JPG

• 8 months later...

I have heard about a speeding boat on the broads elsewhere. The case does seem to be excessive speed  for no good reason, and it was at night too.

It would seem the culprit has been identified so there may be further news in due course.

14 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Have read about this one on several forums.

The emergency services were out for several hours following making sure that boats from the head of Breydon Water to Brundall were safely moored. Several apparently had ropes snapped and damage to cleats and hull and cabin sides.

I'm surprised they were gutsy enough to drive a larger cruiser at Reedham swing bridge at full pelt in the dark. It can be bad enough at low speeds during daylight hours with the tide behind you!

27 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Have read about this one on several forums.

The emergency services were out for several hours following making sure that boats from the head of Breydon Water to Brundall were safely moored. Several apparently had ropes snapped and damage to cleats and hull and cabin sides.

I'm surprised they were gutsy enough to drive a larger cruiser at Reedham swing bridge at full pelt in the dark. It can be bad enough at low speeds during daylight hours with the tide behind you!

I suspect the word should be stupid,  drunk, or high rather than gutsy.

Have they been identified yet?

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Surly that is dependant on the number of tinnies consumed