Kelpie

haggis

Featured Posts

After mooring at Streethay for many years we have just left and are on our way to our new mooring at the top of the Trent and Mersey. Our trip will include a while on the beautiful weaver and perhaps a few days on the Bridgewater. 

Looking forward to our trip and if you see us we still have some sloe gin and damson vodka on board ?

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, haggis said:

After mooring at Streethay for many years we have just left and are on our way to our new mooring at the top of the Trent and Mersey. Our trip will include a while on the beautiful weaver and perhaps a few days on the Bridgewater. 

Looking forward to our trip and if you see us we still have some sloe gin and damson vodka on board ?

Not as noisey as streethay I hope?

3 hours ago, haggis said:

our new mooring at the top of the Trent and Mersey

<pedant mode>

Hmmm.... A mooring at the bottom of the T&M wouldn’t be much use unless you had a submarine.

:giggles:  I guess you don’t mean on the summit pound, so probably at the NW end.

<\pedant mode>

We know that part of the world well, of course, after having both Streamline and Sceptre at Acton Bridge. Care to share which marina?

58 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

<pedant mode>

Hmmm.... A mooring at the bottom of the T&M wouldn’t be much use unless you had a submarine.

:giggles:  I guess you don’t mean on the summit pound, so probably at the NW end.

<\pedant mode>

We know that part of the world well, of course, after having both Streamline and Sceptre at Acton Bridge. Care to share which marina?

We are going to Park Farm Marina which is between Middlewich and Anderton. We are looking forward to exploring old haunts as we too moored (copperkins) at Acton Bridge for many years. 

Haggis 

21 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Just missed you, our boat is currently on the slipway at Streethay having been dragged out yesterday. I saw Kelpie on the moorings whilst we were tied up waiting.

Ah, that's a pity we were a day late ?. I actually walked through the slip and paint shed earlier (taking a short cut) but didn't like to hang around and see which boats were in. It is a busy place! 

Haggis 

Edited by haggis

It was all going so well! Moored at the south portal of harecastle last night and we were the first boat through. After about ten minutes smoke started to pour out of the engine and we limped along till the engine died and the cabin was so full of smoke that visibility inside the boat was about three feet. The long blast got a response and we soon saw a light approaching from behind. It was the boat which had moored behind us last night and was still shut up when we set out. They pushed us out of the tunnel and iain set about finding what the problem was and we called RCR. Thank goodness we took out membership! The CRT guy said he was getting the rescue boat organised when he saw us being pushed from behind. We were only a few hundred yards from the exit when the engine gave up 

Haggis 

Awaiting engineer but iain has been busy investigating. Various cables burnt through and the pressure cap housing blown completely off - not the cap, the whole thing. He hasn't found what caused the overheating in the first place. 

Haggis 

Rcr been and identified which parts to order but being Friday they won't be here till Monday at the earliest. CRT chap at tunnel has arranged for some volunteers to come and help bow haul us part of the way to the services. Hopefully a boat will come along but it has been very quiet this morning 

Haggis 

A young lady from CRT and a volunteer lockie helped us bow haul kelpie down to red bull. Not easy as we had to use two of the "outside" locks. We don't have a genny and the batteries hadn't had chance to to take in much power before the fire so we will have to be frugal over the weekend. Asked CRT about availability of outside power but no joy 

Haggis 

Edited by haggis

Not happy with rcr. Apparently after engineer left yesterday he decided that fire was caused by the domestic system (iain and he discussed cause of overheating but neither of them came up with a cause) and rcr do not cover fires caused by the domestic system and we have been passed to their sister company who we have to pay. They didn't tell us that till we got a puzzling email last night and on phoning them this morning they said they would be do nothing till we had a claim number from our insurance company. This is Saturday!! I said we would worry about whether it was us or our insurance company who was paying and she grudgingly said they would order parts on Monday and be back in touch. These are the parts we were told by the engineer would be ordered yesterday. 

Have managed to hire a genny and iain is buy changing plug on our cable so that we can actually use it. 

Haggis 

The domestic thing is interesting.

The only time we ever needed RCR  was when the mount bracket broke on our domestic alternator. I had a vauge recollection that I'd seen mention in the t and c's about them not fixing 'domestic' stuff but rang them anyway.

No query was raised by them when I called nor when the engineer arrived nor when he came back with the fixed part. I just took it that it depended on who took the call and who attended.

I think they are tightening up on what they will and won't work on. We called them out recently and the engineer reported a couple of recomendations for things we need to do so I presume if those aren't done and we called them out they may charge.

We've read the terms and conditions again and don't agree that the overheating and fire had any thing to do with the domestic system and it really annoys us that they engineer who attended (with a broken arm) didn't say that when he was on the boat 

Haggis 

Speak to Stephany, its she who makes the decision. If the breakdown stops a boat how can it be solely a "domestic" fault?

I hate it when firms wriggle to get out of their obligations.

Local good electrician, Ace Electrical Services 07969 803439. Ask for Sandra.

Edited by Boater Sam
  • Greenie 1

Things are getting better! Stephanie phoned me yesterday and arranged for her top Beta engineer to visit us (on his day off) and he and iain gave the engine an in depth inspection including a pressure test and they even had the engine running. The conclusion was that the overheating (which was the first indication that the all was not well) was caused by a small water leak under the engine. The engine does not appear to have suffered damage and when some new parts are fitted all should be well. This was excellent news as we might have have been looking at a new engine if there was damage. 

Hopefully Chris will come back today with the parts but if not the sun is shining 

Haggis 

• Happy 4

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

Things are getting better! Stephanie phoned me yesterday and arranged for her top Beta engineer to visit us (on his day off) and he and iain gave the engine an in depth inspection including a pressure test and they even had the engine running. The conclusion was that the overheating (which was the first indication that the all was not well) was caused by a small water leak under the engine. The engine does not appear to have suffered damage and when some new parts are fitted all should be well. This was excellent news as we might have have been looking at a new engine if there was damage. 

Hopefully Chris will come back today with the parts but if not the sun is shining 

Haggis 

And I assume that as it wasn’t a domestic side problem, you are covered by RCR?

We haven't mentioned that bit yet ?

Parts arrived this morning and were fitted and all was looking and sounding great BUT the alternator was not charging the batteries and it was getting hot. Just as well we didn't ask for the genny to be uplifted today! 

Rcr are sending over some alternators for iain to fit one and I have everything crossed that all will then be well. 

Just to add to our problems, iains elderly mother was taken to hospital this morning with what sounds like a stroke. We will go home as soon as we can but we have to get to park farm marina then retrieve our car from Streethay. 

And this was going to be a longer trip than we have managed this year ?

Haggis 

• Horror 1