• House Coal
    • Wet unseasoned wood
    • Seasoned wood (2years minimum)
    • Kiln dried wood
    • Manufactured smokeless fuel
    • Anthracite

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

Wind has nearly double the installed capacity of Nuclear tho.   Unfortunately renewables are unreliable by there very nature (apart front Hydro) so to have a reliable grid you need a reliable backbone  source and the only technology that can provide that on mass is Nuclear.

Although I agree in principle with nuclear, to say 'only', is overlooking other available mass energy sources, together with mass energy storage yet to be fully technically  developed - hindered economically by ecologically and safety issues  - that suddenly will become solved and viable when the lights go out in the  Government's offices.

2 hours ago, BWM said:

Have you any idea how much UK power is produced by wind turbines? It doesn't even constitute a token amount, and that situation is unlikely to change with the current government cutting grants for renewables. 

Wind power is approx 20% of total generation - token?

45 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

the trouble with looking only at wind  & nuclear as a solution is that nuclear cannot start up quickly to cover a drop in power from wind, (depending on conditions it can take anything from 6 hours to several days to bring a reactor back online, and that gap is where gas fuelled power stations are needed as they are about the only generation system we have that can fast start.

The problem is that it won't start very quickly when the gas runs out!

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

It’s increasing every year and wind power exceeded nuclear power in the first quarter of this year. It’s currently sitting at somewhere between 15% and 18% of total generation but as I said above it increases every year. 

3 hours ago, BWM said:

Have you any idea how much UK power is produced by wind turbines? It doesn't even constitute a token amount, and that situation is unlikely to change with the current government cutting grants for renewables

Right now, as I post, wind is producing 12%. Nuclear is 16.6%.

Source: Gridwatch.co.uk :)

1 hour ago, Horace42 said:

Although I agree in principle with nuclear, to say 'only', is overlooking other available mass energy sources, together with mass energy storage yet to be fully technically  developed - hindered economically by ecologically and safety issues  - that suddenly will become solved and viable when the lights go out in the  Government's offices.

We have no other mass energy source or storage that’s even anywhere near as good or as safe as Nuclear that’s even in the pipe line.

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Right now, as I post, wind is producing 12%. Nuclear is 16.6%.

Source: Gridwatch.co.uk :)

I’m guessing they must be doing some maintenance on one of the Nuclear plants as they usually run at 90%+ installed capacity where at the moment it’s 68%.

Wind is at 30%, with solar at 33%.

3 hours ago, Horace42 said:

"...Do you stick to smokeless fuels and dried wood or are you an anti social B'stard..."

My first thoughts on the question, before I tick any boxes, was to ask if you class yourself as the latter?

Yes I am but not because of the fuel I burn on my stove ;)

2 minutes ago, Robbo said:

I’m guessing they must be doing some maintenance on one of the Nuclear plants as they usually run at 90%+ installed capacity where at the moment it’s 68%.

Wind at 12.5% and solar at 9.2% on the screen I'm looking at!  Mine's as a %age of current  overall production - are you looking at something different?

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Wind at 12.5% and solar at 9.2% on the screen I'm looking at!  Mine's as a %age of current  overall production - are you looking at something different?

As said, my %s are of installed capacity for each source.  Nuclear usually runs at near maximum, but at the moment it’s only around 68% which usually means maintaince is happening on the gennies.   I’m using  electricitymap.org for figures.

Edited by Robbo

4 hours ago, bizzard said:

Looks a bit steamy. Thoroughly dry wood should emit a nice blue smoke. 

I thought blue smoke was caused by the rings wearing, and passing oil which then got burnt?

Given that trees get new rings every year they really shouldn't produce any blue smoke  ?

Edited by cuthound
To add the last paragraph

There is another way of producing electricity. That is to errect enormousely high tower frameworks, a mile or so high at least and dangle a long long pendulum inside it driving alternators. The pendulum could initually be swung into motion by human power and then forever after kept in motion by the occasional pat from the paws of a team of specially trained pussy cats trained to do so.  The cats would have to be trained at an early age of kittenhood, as after about 8 weeks old they are set in their ways for life and would be disobedient untrainable, squabble and just run off. After a while evollutionary powers will take over as the mothers of litters of kittens would automatically train their kittens to pat dangling things with no human intervention. :closedeyes:

Edited by bizzard

2 hours ago, Robbo said:

The current usage of renewable sources is not always a function of what it can, instantly, produce. All of the contracts I am sure will allow for the grid to take what it needs. down here in Cornwall it is possible in many places to see several wind farms at once. The number rotating can vary so it is not just a matter of whether there is enough wind to turn the turbines.

1 minute ago, system 4-50 said:

I have this idea for a energy source, -  a large nuclear power station, 

I have this idea of a large nuclear power station sited in Westminster.   Then I will believe it is safe.   Having a brother who has worked in the nuclear industry I am not convinced.

24 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I must be missing something - where does the display tell you the total capacity of each type?

Also need to take into account the reference to unmetered wind.

on electricitymap.org click on the source.

18 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I have this idea for a energy source, -  a large nuclear power station, the key feature being its location, about 60-90 million miles away from the Earth, to minimise pollution.

Problem is the thing you use to collect the energy from that source isn't clean.   It may be renewable, but that doesn't mean to say it's that environmentally friendly.

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

I have this idea for a energy source, -  a large nuclear power station, the key feature being its location, about 60-90 million miles away from the Earth, to minimise pollution.

It would never work reliably here. Half the time we'd be facing the wrong way, most of the rest of the time it would be restricted by cloud and, when it was visible, it'd burn everyone, so we'd all have to wear hats and special protective creams. It would never be allowed under Health and Safety laws.  ;)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Wind power is approx 20% of total generation - token?

The problem is that it won't start very quickly when the gas runs out!

At 14 percent it is still under a fifth of the power generated, and this doesn't include any locally generated power which is more likely to affect those nearby. 

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I think I have posted in the incorrect thread. Thought it was about what we burn on boat stoves.

Nah.Its a pole innit. I burnt a pole in my stove last week......my boatpole had seen better days, so I chopped it up and burnt it innit.

6 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

The current usage of renewable sources is not always a function of what it can, instantly, produce. All of the contracts I am sure will allow for the grid to take what it needs. down here in Cornwall it is possible in many places to see several wind farms at once. The number rotating can vary so it is not just a matter of whether there is enough wind to turn the turbines.

The ones up the road from me were rotating and earning money before the power cable was even laid down the lane.

On 03/10/2018 at 09:43, WotEver said:

It’s increasing every year and wind power exceeded nuclear power in the first quarter of this year. It’s currently sitting at somewhere between 15% and 18% of total generation but as I said above it increases every year. 

Dead on the button Tony, plus the new15MW  wind turbines wont need to be subsided, and they are made in this country bonus! I think this year they also had a very long run of no power being created by coal so things are changing for the better

Our current energy supplier (Bulb) claims that 100% of the electricity they supply to me is from renewable sources. Given that no change was made to the infra structure that comes to our house I'm still at a loss as to how they can make that claim?? ??

https://bulb.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9NbdBRCwARIsAPLsnFZqo1o1t6Bk1sseaB3vs-XT7QY3FOdr-2LBtXDhdoexLEDic0-CGNAaAvWgEALw_wcB

It seem the right thing to do to switch to them though when we were looking for a new supplier. They also only have one straightforward easy to understand tariff (Variable not fixed).

You can compare suppliers 'green' credentials here.

http://electricityinfo.org/fuel-mix-of-uk-domestic-electricity-suppliers/

Edited by MJG