Mooring out east

starman

Featured Posts

I'd like to get our boat nearer home (Suffolk) this winter so I can reach it more easily for some refitting work. At the moment it's a long drive across the A14 and miles of slo-mo roadworks to the Midlands. Ideally I'd like a small relaxed spot that's okay with a bit of diy work rather than a big regimented marina but I'm guessing that any moorings remotely near Cambridge are like hens' teeth. I know all the obvious places but if anyone can tip me off about a small yard, farm mooring or such like on the Great Ouse, Cam or Middle Levels I'd be grateful. 

7 minutes ago, starman said:

I'd like to get our boat nearer home (Suffolk) this winter so I can reach it more easily for some refitting work. At the moment it's a long drive across the A14 and miles of slo-mo roadworks to the Midlands. Ideally I'd like a small relaxed spot that's okay with a bit of diy work rather than a big regimented marina but I'm guessing that any moorings remotely near Cambridge are like hens' teeth. I know all the obvious places but if anyone can tip me off about a small yard, farm mooring or such like on the Great Ouse, Cam or Middle Levels I'd be grateful. 

You could try Hallingbury marina, Kecksys farm, on the river Stort. We here at Stortford Boats are full up. Stanstead Abbots marina, river Lea.

Edited by bizzard

The obvious one which springs to mind is Fox's at March but that's a big marina (though not especially regimented). Moorings may be available at Flood's Ferry which isn't a big marina, though I have heard varying reports of the way it has been run in recent years.

1 hour ago, erivers said:

How about River Island Marina at Isleham on the River Lark?  Usually some spaces there at fairly reasonable rates.   In Cambridgeshire but almost on the Suffolk border.

River Island Marina, Isleham

Bill Fen (so long as you are not allergic to peacocks!)

Edited by Mike Todd

8 hours ago, Athy said:

The obvious one which springs to mind is Fox's at March but that's a big marina (though not especially regimented). Moorings may be available at Flood's Ferry which isn't a big marina, though I have heard varying reports of the way it has been run in recent years.

Spare berths at Foxes at the moment, Don't bother with Floods Ferry, no diy work is allowed.  

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Good info, Mr. Sprite.

Incidentally, how come ABC hire boats have been working out of March this season? Are they taking the Fox's fleet over?

Just two are outbased by ABC at Foxes for hire, One of Emma's new broom projects.  The old March Wharf was in Town next to Barclays Bank, There are pictures in the Town museum of the old wharf in use.

On 02/10/2018 at 10:06, Athy said:

We had a short term mooring at Fox's.  Didn't seem especially busy in 2015.

N