To Dredge or Not to Dredge, CRT On the Level.

matty40s

Featured Posts

This Summer, CRT arranged for contractors to carry out dredging on the Weedon pound (Whilton to Stoke Bruerne) principly at the Northern end from Weedon itself to Whilton.

Some tree work has happened on the Bugbrooke cutting along with the underwater obstruction being removed.

Concaform Marina was dredged as well as they had threatened to stop paying CRT fees as boats could not get in or out without major difficulties. When other marinas asked for the same - they were quoted 3k a day for dredging and told "the levels on moorings are NOT our responsibility"(even though they charge annual moring fees for these).

Brand new tugs, hoppers and dredging platforms from Rothens were craned in at the start of July for 8 weeks works - Rothens were doing the tree work, a new contractor the dredging.

The water level in the pound was about 4-6" down during this period - presumably due to the hot weather and lack of rainfall along with the works going ahead..... I will return to this.

The dredging contractors workforce were virtually all agency staff - unable to steer boats - but expected to- and probably not been on a canal before - never mind worked on its improvement.

Anyhow, after 8 weeks, the "other" contractors pretty much abandoned the kit and Rothens (or 1 guy from..) had to fetch it back to get lifted out.

The water levels have not improved on this stretch since the works finished and rain started again. Day after day the levels stay at least 4" below normal.

Yesterday , on getting out, we had a cruise to Whilton and back, just because due to work, family etc we havn't cruised much this year.

At every bridge hole from Dodford to Whilton, we ground to a go-slow, as we have done for years, there is even a big CRT corex sign telling syslists, walkers and fishermen all about the dredging next to Bridge18 - where the silt and debris almost stopped us. In fact,  there has been no dredging of the bridge holes at all - even though some of the wonderful dredged sections start feet away (Bridge19 for EG). The old bridge 20 hole has been the same for years.

As we came back from Whilton, the real reason for the low levels in the canal became apparent. 

The offside stakes/mesh with silt behind has been constructed at a level that is just OK with the canal 4" down, if the water levels were put back to normal, the canal would be level/above the new banking, and all the silt would get washed back in. This is for almost the complete stretch from Bridge 19 to, the second stretch just before the Dodford LTM is not as bad, just a few areas are lower than the proper level. 

My point is, why make a big song and dance about dredging, if

1. you arent going to manage it correctly

2. you have to lower the level of the canal over the whole pound  - compromising navigation -because of 2 short stretches where contractors have performed abysmally (also because of 1)

When other boaters cant get out of their moorings (at Debdale, or near Gayton), or coal boats cant ply their trade(Grand Union towards Warwick), you really have to question what is going on.

20180930_154417.jpg

20180930_164026.jpg

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

This Summer, CRT arranged for contractors to carry out dredging on the Weedon pound (Whilton to Stoke Bruerne) principly at the Northern end from Weedon itself to Whilton.

Some tree work has happened on the Bugbrooke cutting along with the underwater obstruction being removed.

Concaform Marina was dredged as well as they had threatened to stop paying CRT fees as boats could not get in or out without major difficulties. When other marinas asked for the same - they were quoted 3k a day for dredging and told "the levels on moorings are NOT our responsibility"(even though they charge annual moring fees for these).

Brand new tugs, hoppers and dredging platforms from Rothens were craned in at the start of July for 8 weeks works - Rothens were doing the tree work, a new contractor the dredging.

The water level in the pound was about 4-6" down during this period - presumably due to the hot weather and lack of rainfall along with the works going ahead..... I will return to this.

The dredging contractors workforce were virtually all agency staff - unable to steer boats - but expected to- and probably not been on a canal before - never mind worked on its improvement.

Anyhow, after 8 weeks, the "other" contractors pretty much abandoned the kit and Rothens (or 1 guy from..) had to fetch it back to get lifted out.

The water levels have not improved on this stretch since the works finished and rain started again. Day after day the levels stay at least 4" below normal.

Yesterday , on getting out, we had a cruise to Whilton and back, just because due to work, family etc we havn't cruised much this year.

At every bridge hole from Dodford to Whilton, we ground to a go-slow, as we have done for years, there is even a big CRT corex sign telling syslists, walkers and fishermen all about the dredging next to Bridge18 - where the silt and debris almost stopped us. In fact,  there has been no dredging of the bridge holes at all - even though some of the wonderful dredged sections start feet away (Bridge19 for EG). The old bridge 20 hole has been the same for years.

As we came back from Whilton, the real reason for the low levels in the canal became apparent. 

The offside stakes/mesh with silt behind has been constructed at a level that is just OK with the canal 4" down, if the water levels were put back to normal, the canal would be level/above the new banking, and all the silt would get washed back in. This is for almost the complete stretch from Bridge 19 to, the second stretch just before the Dodford LTM is not as bad, just a few areas are lower than the proper level. 

My point is, why make a big song and dance about dredging, if

1. you arent going to manage it correctly

2. you have to lower the level of the canal over the whole pound  - compromising navigation -because of 2 short stretches where contractors have performed abysmally (also because of 1)

When other boaters cant get out of their moorings (at Debdale, or near Gayton), or coal boats cant ply their trade(Grand Union towards Warwick), you really have to question what is going on.

Is the towpath in good repair for cyclists?

At a tangent - but relevant.

On the Trent today and heading back downstream. In the centre of the channel and following the outside of the curves.

Grounded 3 times between Holme Lock & Stoke Lock.

Twice near Armitage pet-foods factory.

Several times the depth sounder was showing 1' (or less) beneath the keel - I can tell when its getting shallow as I lose steering and the boat turns to Port.

Apparently the dredging specification for the Trent is minimum of 2mts deep x 11 metres width.

We draw 4'6" with full tanks.

Considering the amount of water that is coming down the Trent from the last couple of weeks rain in the catchment area I wonder what the Summer depths are going to be next year.

What struck me about that piece of work when I cruised that section the day before Matty was the completely random line along which the stakes had been driven. The result is a constantly varying width of channel which randomly wanders around including points that jut out and narrow the channel considerably. The level of the bank protection really should be the same as the piling on the opposite bank and it clearly isn't from the photographs above. It doesn't look like it was properly specified and/or controlled.

While I concur the result of this will be that the silt will get washed back into the canal when the levels are higher I am not sure about the argument that it is the cause of the level being low. The stakes are inside the line of the old eroded bank so if the level rises the water will flood over the silt to a point no further than where the line of the bank was before the work. It'll create a right mess but I can't see how water is being lost unless something daft has been done at an isolated location.

I can corroborate the issue with the bridge holes. I churned up dirt in every one and had to kick back to free the crap from the prop wash after every one.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Was there not a story that the dredging operation were not competed fully because of (I think) concerns about low oxygen levels in the heat wave, and possible detrimental effect on wildlife?

I'm sure I read the works we unfinished, and there was a plan to reschedule to complete them more fully.

However as we have cruised the length virtually all the tugs, dredgers and hoppers have now been removed, (by road, presumably), so the costs associated with that, then bringing them back again must be considerable, if such a plan still exists.

Interestingly at least one ex working boat owner at posted comment on Facebook about how improved it all is now, accompanied by video of an historic boat speeding through what was previously a bad bit, so not everybody agrees this exercise has been of limited effect.

I must admit we have never found it that slow, except at some bridge holes, (or former bridge holes).  I agree several of them do not seem to have been tackled so far.

Further south the previous exercise around areas that included Grove to Slapton have bee very effective, and there is no doubt things there are much improved.

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

I don't know who was responsible for this Rothen's work boat left near Barby recently, but they certainly hadn't a clue about tying up a boat safely.  No fewer than three ropes were strung across the tow path.  Walkers and cyclists had to limbo dance under them :(

rothen (1) (1).jpg

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Further south the previous exercise around areas that included Grove to Slapton have bee very effective, and there is no doubt things there are much improved.

Water levels are regularly down a foot on this section, but that is to do with pumps and lock gates as much as anything, but I cynically thought that I was wrong to expect dredging would mean the cut was deeper, it would be exactly the same volume of water, but started lower!

Edited by Tanglewood
correct typo

If you look closely at the dredging boat he is scooping the rubble and other detritus, then dropping it into the centre of the bridgehole. This is prior to piling work, I had asked them just before if they could not deposit this in an already shallow channel, hence the furtive shake of the bucket next to the boat!

Seems a little bit harsh Matt. The dredging programme was only ever for spot dredging, approximately 1,920 cubic metres were taken out this summer. CRT's supervisor for this project is very experienced, it's definitely better than it was but I share your frustration it would have been nicer to have had more. The pound is particularly low at the moment but I don't think when it is back on level it will top the nicospan, the low water levels during the summer did hamper the dredging, there were problems with oxygen levels, the dredging company was a new company and there were staffing problems as I understand it quite a few construction projects round here have been struggling for staff but all said and done for what it cost, for the amount that was shifted and all the problems encountered, it doesn't compare too badly with the majority of other dredging projects and actually I think we should be grateful we got anything done in this pound and that the money wasn't all spent further south on the GU where the backlog in maintenance is more serious. What we need to look at locally is the ongoing water level problems and the historic leakage in this pound which I can talk to you about next time I see you.      

Cheers, Tim        

cheers Tim, unfortunately, the bits I and others always get stuck on havn't been dredged, the A5 bridgehole and every one after that, the stretch past Bedazzled where I was stuck on Baldock waiting for another boat to pull me off.

The depth sounding vessel that surveyed the stretch in May I seem to remember, pulls its sounding arms in at every bridge, and deploys them after.Where do we get stuck?

I reported leakage to CRT near Gayton years ago near to the culvert between bridges 45 and 46 into farmers fields and it is still leaking now.

I fail to feel grateful after spending 2 weeks stripping down the gunnels on one side and repainting, for a couple of weeks later to have the paint stripped off a 3 metre section back to metal by untrained novice boaters from Ebsford Enviromental who thought it was funny to go round in circles on tug boats and hadnt a clue how to steer a pontoon.

Edited by matty40s