Found in the dry dock.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

Just dried out in the Excellent Langley Mill Boatyard drydock, and look what I found attached to the top of the skeg. If it's not obvious, it's a "fishing" magnet, with a stub of rope left attached. It's not mine, and I have no idea where it came from.  There's been the odd clonk from the rudder, which I attributed to wear in the bottom bearing, but it seems more likely that it's from this. Don't go magnet fishing around steel boats, people, they will steal your magnet.

MP

IMG_20181001_102540423.jpg

• Greenie 1

I found my first magnet (or rather it found me) as I was entering a lock in Stone, way back in 1993 on Oberon, my first shareboat.

As I engaged reverse there was a horrible clanking noise which changed with engine speed.

A trip down the weedhatch revealed lots of things blup rope around the prop. I got most of it off but the end was stuck to something. I pulled hard and did a backward somersault onto the towpath when the magnet finally let go.

I left it on Honeystreet when we sold our share, fortunately DQ came with a Seasearcher magnet.

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's MY MAGNET.

Give it back!!!!!

6 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Prove it!!!

You'll have to provide evidence, Melaleuca is quite attached to that magnet. I can see why, it's very attractive although I imagine that could polarise opinions

• Greenie 1

Feeling really guilty...... on an area of the Coventry canal at Nuneaton, we lost 4 magnets. They were used to attach a length of canvas to the side of the boat, which wass used to cover the hatch. Storm Elinor whipped them off one dark stormy night last January. Luckily we did find the canvas attached to the hedge, but alas, no magnets.  Epic 'good idea' failure!

Edited by Jennifer McM
  • Haha 1

I bought 12 high strength magnets last year to use to fasten down hatch covers, whilst i australia. When we got back we had 7.

being stupid i have bought more but more powerful ones. I have a cunning plan to put a loop through them all ( they have eyes) and attach to a magnet direct on the gunnel. If they blow off there will be a sound like hail as they all hold hands and hit the steel

on the other hand i have nine of those nappy pin things but have never bought one...

• Haha 1

On 01/10/2018 at 16:45, MoominPapa said:

Just dried out in the Excellent Langley Mill Boatyard drydock, and look what I found attached to the top of the skeg. If it's not obvious, it's a "fishing" magnet, with a stub of rope left attached. It's not mine, and I have no idea where it came from.  There's been the odd clonk from the rudder, which I attributed to wear in the bottom bearing, but it seems more likely that it's from this. Don't go magnet fishing around steel boats, people, they will steal your magnet.

MP

IMG_20181001_102540423.jpg

Good to see another boat with a skeg that extends beyond the rudder bearing. This is the one on Tyto Alba It doen't have a magnet attached.

IMG_1875.JPG

10 hours ago, Richard T said:

Good to see another boat with a skeg that extends beyond the rudder bearing. This is the one on Tyto Alba It doen't have a magnet attached.

IMG_1875.JPG

That' not a skeg, it's a bridge-beam!

A long skeg does provide a location for the occasional tree branch to jam between the rudder and the skeg. It's a bit disconcerting  when the rudder refuses to swing in one direction, until you learn to  momentarily push it the other way to release the interloper.

MP

11 hours ago, Richard T said:

IMG_1875.JPG

Aah but it also has a wheel for when the bottom is too close to the top to assist passage over underwater obstructions.......

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Charles said:

It's got my name on it...

11 hours ago, Richard T said:

IMG_1875.JPG

And while we're discussing this boat, what is that little egg whisk thing where the propeller should be?

??