Vandalised boat

Richardcn

Featured Posts

Just out of interest, where are all the owners of  these vandalised boats? Presumably they don't actually live on them, and they don't appear to move much as they are obviously being left in a dodgy area. 

I can see a time coming, whether we like it or not, when the CC label will only be allowed to someone resident on a boat, rather than to a leisure boater who just shifts it a few miles every fortnight (mostly, anyway) and otherwise leaves it clogging up a mooring somewhere waiting for a scrote to find it. It has always seemed an invitation to vandalism to me, and a huge risk to take with a considerable investment. 

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I can see a time coming, whether we like it or not, when the CC label will only be allowed to someone resident on a boat, rather than to a leisure boater who just shifts it a few miles every fortnight (mostly, anyway) and otherwise leaves it clogging up a mooring somewhere waiting for a scrote to find it. It has always seemed an invitation to vandalism to me, and a huge risk to take with a considerable investment. 

For those with a Monday to Friday job the only way to visit more of the system than can be reached in a weekend or a one or two week trip from the home mooring is to weekend the boat, which will often involve leaving the boat for a week or two on the towpath. Fulbourne has been doing this for 30 years and we have had very few problems.

Some years ago when we had a towpath mooring a similar thing happened to our boat, someone notified BW as it was then and they were straight on to me.  The police OTOH could not have cared less "it's low level crime sir" is all I got when I asked them to investigate.   I don't know what the police in Barnoldswick were, or are, so busy with that damage to, and theft of, property is so low on their list of priorities but it made me realise how vulnerable we are leaving boats unattended on the canal network.  I wouldn't do it again.  

2 hours ago, Nunovyrbizz said:

That stretch of the GU through Yiewsley is awful, if you look in my post history for around this time last year you'll see I posted asking for advice about a very similar situation where I came across a boat that had clearly been broken into. It was moored almost opposite from the entrance to the Slough arm. The only place I would ever moor round there is right next to the cctv cameras outside Tesco, if those moorings are full I just keep going!

Edit;  

Good advice without a doubt.

• Greenie 1

Im not sure what we expect the police to do about break ins? House burglary is generally not investigated as its impossible to detect culprits without cctv or caught in the act. Property crime is at the bottom of priorities. Im afraid Dixon of Dock Green is dead.

59 minutes ago, Sadelady said:

Im not sure what we expect the police to do about break ins? House burglary is generally not investigated as its impossible to detect culprits without cctv or caught in the act. Property crime is at the bottom of priorities. Im afraid Dixon of Dock Green is dead.

In our neck of the woods John Law isn't interested in cctv evidence, it seems digital images can be altered by and 8 year old with a Sinclair, so CPS don't want to know.

As for [url= https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-33788264] Leicestershire police 'ignore' attempted burglaries at odd-numbered houses[/url]

This country is stuffed

Not always so, a few years ago our boat was entered and a unique bike stolen at ellesmere port. The police attended took photos and followed up. Needless without success. ( the intruder had broken into the museum to gain access)  .

the police were keen to establish if the boat was a home ( it wasnt) because this would enable them to escalate the offence had the culprit been found. 

Just now, roland elsdon said:

the police were keen to establish if the boat was a home ( it wasnt) because this would enable them to escalate the offence had the culprit been found. 

Does anyone know why stealing an object from a home is worse than stealing the item from elsewhere?

23 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Is it not a current fashion to claim mental health problems? Is this due to the ever increasing use of drugs such as marijuana, spice etc.?

And the excuse that the need for excessive alcohol consumption is a social necessity?

Or a try on to avoid responsibility for behaving like a reasonable human being?

23 hours ago, lampini said:

Harsh.. but fair... in roughly %50 of cases.... the other %50 with genuine mental health issues? Also there's the "chicken and egg" question - the increasing use of drugs and alcohol to self medicate being a common phenomenon.. real life just aint that black n white - sadly!

It always pleases me when you see such obvious positive results from the Time to Talk type campaigns.

On 01/10/2018 at 16:51, cuthound said:

Indeed. We once came across a boat that had broken free of its moorings in highish winds. The pins had pulled out of the muddy bank he had moored to.

We couldn't get it back into its mooring place because of the wind, so moored it on a vacant space on the opposite bank (there were long term moorings on that side).

I wondered what the owners reaction was when he returned to find his boat moored on the opposite side of the cut to where he had left it. 

I did similar, got one end of the loose boat into the bank and the wind had turned it before I got get the other, it just missed the opposite bank by a foot so i tied it up the otherway round. I too wonder what the owner thought when he/she came back to find their boat facing the worng way.

I've been around the Yiewesley area a couple of times with no problems. (Always a good Sunday lunch to be had at the Malt Shovel too, btw!). But when I did the Slough arm, I got to the end and turned around and moored, thinking how good it would be there as there was a water and no other boats around... lots of hot baths and handy for the town :)

Five minutes later, youths went past and banged on the side of the boat. It was only afternoon, and seeing there was a well trodden path to some sort of estate, I could only imagine things getting worse come night fall, so I left.

I've had to rescue boats on a few occasion - ones that have come(or been) unmoored, usually blocking the canal. I don't like doing it incase the owner comes along, but what can you do?

Edited by Johny London

12 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I went down the slough arm in 1981, and strangely in spite of living between rickmansworth and london for the next 7 years never went back. It felt like the set of apocalypse now , you never knew when something very bad was going to happen.

Betjeman was right, then.

5 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

I used to moor on the Slough arm, have even been right to the end of it, but still can’t work out why epoxy is better.

It lasts longer than betjeman. 

• Haha 1

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 15:39, Sea Dog said:

How incredibly sad. He really thought that someone uncaring enough to go by fast enough to rip pins out on properly moored boat is then going to stop and remoor it is a more likely occurence than a Good Samaritan?  Jerk.

Forget any lesson you learned from him Z - I'd have bought you a beer! :)

"Sad". The very word going through my mind as I read the posts immediately preceding yours. These days everyone seems to think 'sue' not 'thanks'. In reality has anyone heard of someone being sued as a consequence of a genuine Good Samaritan action. (in boating terms).

Frank

15 hours ago, Johny London said:

I've been around the Yiewesley area a couple of times with no problems. (Always a good Sunday lunch to be had at the Malt Shovel too, btw!). But when I did the Slough arm, I got to the end and turned around and moored, thinking how good it would be there as there was a water and no other boats around... lots of hot baths and handy for the town :)

Five minutes later, youths went past and banged on the side of the boat. It was only afternoon, and seeing there was a well trodden path to some sort of estate, I could only imagine things getting worse come night fall, so I left.

I've had to rescue boats on a few occasion - ones that have come(or been) unmoored, usually blocking the canal. I don't like doing it incase the owner comes along, but what can you do?

I was doing it once at Hurlston Junction and the owner stuck his head out of the door. He was having a sleep and had no idea he was blocking the canal.