Vandalised boat

Richardcn

Featured Posts

Hi All

Yesterday evening, whilst walking the dog, I noticed that the window of a boat (on the towpath side) had been smashed. It's a nice boat, not a shed but being fitted out so there is stuff inside. The window is big enough so that you can step through into the boat so I took the number and informed CRT on the emergency line. We're moored near to boat today so I took a look and found that nothing had been done and the boat and its content are 'at risk' in this location. Phoned CRT again and they said "...it's been passed on...". I told them they needed to act, now! But will they? Is there any way anybody can suggest in which we can make the owner aware? I will 'wind' the boat before dark if nothing is done today.

Richard

• Greenie 1

Well I don't know, I've never found myself in this situation! I'm just trying to help out! But being as they have an 'Emergency Line' that does cover this then I would expect then to contact the owner, then if they had no joy there then send out one of 'the team' to board it up or make secure BECAUSE that's what they implied they would do "...send one of the local team out.. "!!!

(Exclamations for exasperation)

If CRT said ‘it’s passed on’ then presumably it means that they have told the registered licence holder.  Not much more you cant do.

added - they don’t fix leaks so why would they fix boats?  Also if they were to scratch the paint or the insides of the boat fixing boards etc then the owner may claim for the additional damage against CRT.

Edited by Chewbacka

5 minutes ago, Richardcn said:

Looks like I'll be moving a boat later then...maybe.

Maybe ask CRT to pass on your number for the owner to contact you ..... rather than have him get upset when he comes along and finds you moving his boat

7 minutes ago, KevMc said:

Maybe ask CRT to pass on your number for the owner to contact you ..... rather than have him get upset when he comes along and finds you moving his boat

I assume he's just going to turn it so the broken window is on the off side rather than the towpath side?

Fitting a boat out on the towpath, assuming it's not a registered mooring,  has always seemed a bit odd to me. I can understand that it saves money, but surely you can't really CC under those circs.  Even taking a mooring for a short time would give you better access as well as security.

You've done your bit by advising CRT.  I'd be wary of tampering any further.

I once got a right ear full from someone whose boat I tied back up after I came across it loose.  They accused me of clearly being the one who'd gone past it too fast ripping out its pins.  They took my boat's registration number and said they'd pursue me if they found anything damaged on board.

A rare reaction I agree, but I learnt my lesson. 

6 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I once got a right ear full from someone whose boat I tied back up after I came across it loose.  They accused me of clearly being the one who'd gone past it too fast ripping out its pins.  They took my boat's registration number and said they'd pursue me if they found anything damaged on board.

How incredibly sad. He really thought that someone uncaring enough to go by fast enough to rip pins out on properly moored boat is then going to stop and remoor it is a more likely occurence than a Good Samaritan?  Jerk.

Forget any lesson you learned from him Z - I'd have bought you a beer! :)

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I think my reaction would have been 'fine, see you in court'.

We once had to tow a loose boat on the T&M a fair way to re moor it, as it had drifted into a section that it was impossible to secure it. I was waiting for someone to accuse us of knicking the thing as you are correct some people can be very ungrateful or too ready to misinterpret actions taken with good intentions sometimes.

51 minutes ago, MJG said:

I think my reaction would have been 'fine, see you in court'.

We once had to tow a loose boat on the T&M a fair way to re moor it, as it had drifted into a section that it was impossible to secure it. I was waiting for someone to accuse us of knicking the thing as you are correct some people can be very ungrateful or too ready to misinterpret actions taken with good intentions sometimes.

Indeed. We once came across a boat that had broken free of its moorings in highish winds. The pins had pulled out of the muddy bank he had moored to.

We couldn't get it back into its mooring place because of the wind, so moored it on a vacant space on the opposite bank (there were long term moorings on that side).

I wondered what the owners reaction was when he returned to find his boat moored on the opposite side of the cut to where he had left it. 

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I wondered what the owners reaction was when he returned to find his boat moored on the opposite side of the cut to where he had left it

I was bloody furious. I had to swim across the canal in me y fronts to get it! 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Boater Sam said:

Now I have realised the problem with rusty, a female that wears Y fronts. In denial or confused? It explains a lot, looking at past comments.

Please tell us all about it my dear. Letch Letch.

I never swim in de Nile, its full of crocodiles,only the canal!

Good news... and bad news! Daniel, the owner, was at the boat this evening. Nothing was taken and he's now moved on to find a better spot to board up the window (he was contacted this morning btw). Bad news is that there are a lot of scrotes around here. You can see them dealing just around the Slough junction, they're not exactly subtle! And the really bad news is that another boat, a little further up, has been broken into in broad daylight and had a lot of valuables stolen in the last few days. The Police were apparently unavailable to answer the phone to allow the owner to report it! Sadly, a sign of the times it seems. Time to move on methinks.

2 minutes ago, Richardcn said:

The Police were apparently unavailable to answer the phone to allow the owner to report it! Sadly, a sign of the times it seems. 

Local news today reveals Devon and Cornwall police spend about 40% of their time dealing with mental health issues. Senior Officers say that it's a source of frustration that the police  spend much of their time dealing with "other people's jobs" that they are ill equipped to do.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Sea Dog said:

Local news today reveals Devon and Cornwall police spend about 40% of their time dealing with mental health issues. Senior Officers say that it's a source of frustration that the police  spend much of their time dealing with "other people's jobs" that they are ill equipped to do.

A couple of years ago I was talking to a policeman who had turned up to an unexpected death and as the person had had a bed heart of 10 years I thought it was a bit necessary when he could be out after criminals.   His reply was "oh we don't do that anymore".  When asked what he did his reply was 80% of his time was dealing with mental health problems.

Is it not a current fashion to claim mental health problems? Is this due to the ever increasing use of drugs such as marijuana, spice etc.?

And the excuse that the need for excessive alcohol consumption is a social necessity?

Or a try on to avoid responsibility for behaving like a reasonable human being?

1 minute ago, Boater Sam said:

Is it not a current fashion to claim mental health problems? Is this due to the ever increasing use of drugs such as marijuana, spice etc.?

And the excuse that the need for excessive alcohol consumption is a social necessity?

Or a try on to avoid responsibility for behaving like a reasonable human being?

Harsh.. but fair... in roughly %50 of cases.... the other %50 with genuine mental health issues? Also there's the "chicken and egg" question - the increasing use of drugs and alcohol to self medicate being a common phenomenon.. real life just aint that black n white - sadly!

• Greenie 2

16 hours ago, Richardcn said:

Good news... and bad news! Daniel, the owner, was at the boat this evening. Nothing was taken and he's now moved on to find a better spot to board up the window (he was contacted this morning btw). Bad news is that there are a lot of scrotes around here. You can see them dealing just around the Slough junction, they're not exactly subtle! And the really bad news is that another boat, a little further up, has been broken into in broad daylight and had a lot of valuables stolen in the last few days. The Police were apparently unavailable to answer the phone to allow the owner to report it! Sadly, a sign of the times it seems. Time to move on methinks.

That stretch of the GU through Yiewsley is awful, if you look in my post history for around this time last year you'll see I posted asking for advice about a very similar situation where I came across a boat that had clearly been broken into. It was moored almost opposite from the entrance to the Slough arm. The only place I would ever moor round there is right next to the cctv cameras outside Tesco, if those moorings are full I just keep going!

Edit;  

Edited by Nunovyrbizz
Added previous post link for reference.