Supermarket deliveries to the towpath?

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, DaveandDebby said:

Another thing about Tesco deliveries. I've just had my Monday delivery, with three substitutions. I ordered a pack of Tesco Butchers sausages, £1.70 (for a casserole, quality less important), but as they didn't have any, I got 2 packs of Tesco Finest sausages, £4 for 2, for £1.70. I ordered Tesco Original bagels, 5pack for 95p, but the substitution was New York Bakery bagels, 5 pack, £1.60 - I paid the 95p. If I'd gone to the supermarket, I would have had to pay the higher prices. Supermarket deliveries save you money! 

My best substitution was when I ordered 2 x litre bottles of Tesco Special Reserve Whiskey, unfortunately for them, they'd run out of the 1-litre bottles, so they substituted 2 bottles of 1.5 litres.... for the same money! Can't complain about that! ?

A silly mistake I made, I thought I was buying a kilo of sausages, wrong...... I received just one lonely little sausage!

I'm in the middle of ordering from Tesco at the moment, at a new place for me, 'Stoke Golding Mooring'.

Go to https://canalplan.eu/cgi-bin/canal.cgi

Enter a start place, and a finish place (incorporating the place where you want your towpath delivery)

At the bottom of the page click 'Calculate Route'

At the bottom of the next page, click 'Export This Route'

Once the file is downloaded, open it, it opens as a spreadsheet

The spreadsheet should tell you the postcode.

tesco1.jpg.d4515822fe73ad22faf191d51888a2c4.jpg

Simply 'add a new delivery address' to your Tesco account, using the postcode.  Name the delivery address (personal to you for the next time)

add1.jpg.3bdeb3d3868c503213d2ed22e064283e.jpg

There'll be a text box for you to add delivery instructions:

delinst.jpg.4984100950e09834f34395736f807fd0.jpg

Hope this helps....

Edited by Jennifer McM
  • Greenie 2

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Unfairly harsh I think. Bread usually has a sell by date in the shop of the same day so not sure how they could improve on that for you. Similarly for meat. How many days do you expect it to last? Eggs are an odd one though. Often have a week or so sell by date in the shops but tend to last for months in the fridge.  

Sorry to say, you should not store eggs in the fridge, for reasons too complex to deal with today.

They won't be fresh eggs for very long,

I know what a fresh egg looks like as I used to have 14,000 hens.

ASDA  pick the best on the shelf, and are good if you complain about anything.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Sorry to say, you should not store eggs in the fridge, for reasons too complex to deal with today.

Interesting.  egginfo.co.uk which seems to be the home of the Lion mark says:

• Store eggs at a constant temperature below 20°C - this maintains freshness and quality. The fridge is the best place to keep them in domestic kitchens

7 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Interesting.  egginfo.co.uk which seems to be the home of the Lion mark says:

• Store eggs at a constant temperature below 20°C - this maintains freshness and quality. The fridge is the best place to keep them in domestic kitchens

I avoid Lion eggs, they are not guaranteed fresh, if we regard fresh as being less than seven days old.

Keep your Lion eggs in the fridge if you want, then try to boil them without cracking or floating.

You won't find eggs in the chilled foods section of Tesco.

Edited by LadyG

16 hours ago, LadyG said:

I know what a fresh egg looks like as I used to have 14,000 hens.

ASDA  pick the best on the shelf, and are good if you complain about anything.

Why then has every fridge I have owned have an egg compartment?

14 hours ago, LadyG said:

I avoid Lion eggs, they are not guaranteed fresh, if we regard fresh as being less than seven days old.

Keep your Lion eggs in the fridge if you want, then try to boil them without cracking or floating.

You won't find eggs in the chilled foods section of Tesco.

I take my eggs out of the fridge and boil them without them cracking or floating.

I used to keep hen's. Eggs should be kept at room temperature unless its really hot.

You will never see eggs for sale in Butchers shops or any other shop for that matter in a fridge., the exception that cooked eggs should be kept chilled.

23 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Seem to remember that a few years ago Tesco's denied all responsibility in a letter for the Rickmansworth mooring when someone claimed against them after slipping on a wet section of it. They changed their minds after trying to remove someone overstaying on the mooring after the boater produced a copy of the letter.

The algae covered wooden capping that you step up onto is deadly in wet weather, walking on it reminds me of those kids shoes with a roller in the heel! 

I've used Ocado scores of times over the last few years, and can corroborate the testimony of others in that I've never had a problem with deliveries. Under 'Delivery instructions' I say that I'm on a boat on the canal and will meet them outside at the address given (usually a pub car park, shop, or nearest residential address by a bridge), and give them my phone number. I used to go and wait at the drop-off point at the start of the delivery window, but it can be pretty miserable sitting in the car park of the Red Lion in the middle of winter waiting forlornly with empty bags. Nowadays I give my phone number and ask them to give me a ring when they're ten minutes away so that I know when to set off to meet them. Every driver so far has been happy to do this. 

As for freshness, as it happens I had a delivery yesterday. Bread is good until 8 Oct (as good as I could hope for from the shop), fresh soup until 14 Oct, and hummous until 19 Oct. Mushrooms are good until 4 Oct so maybe could have done better there, but I'll be cooking with them tonight anyway.

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

They're really for tomatoes. This is an example of one of life's imponderables 

Tomatoes go mushy in a fridge, also bananas

1 hour ago, Glynn said:

I used to keep hen's. Eggs should be kept at room temperature unless its really hot.

You will never see eggs for sale in Butchers shops or any other shop for that matter in a fridge., the exception that cooked eggs should be kept chilled.

at last, someone who knows what they are talking about!

In Ye Olden Days we had a "pantry", that was where we kept our food.

Then, we bought a Fridgidaire

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, Glynn said:

Why is it that almost every reference I can find says eggs in a domestic situation (note the word domestic) are best in a fridge?

I used the Tesco delivery a few times when I was inbetween cars - no problems though the odd item out of stock - guess I should have allowed substitutions but had no idea I'd get something better for the same price!

I always look for the nearest place with road access and where a vehicle can reasonably stop for a few minutes, then use google maps to get the postcode. In the delivery notes just put something like "I'm on a boat moored nearbye so call me if I'm not there." Delivery drivers always call as usually running a bit early and they are always courteous and helpful. 

19 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Think it's more important to be careful where eggs are stored as eggshells are porous, and it's why duck eggs need careful cooking for 'mucky duck' reasons.

Put an egg in the fridge alongside an uncovered cut onion for a day or two and then cook the egg. Oniony egg guaranteed. 

15 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Put an egg in the fridge alongside an uncovered cut onion for a day or two and then cook the egg. Oniony egg guaranteed. 

Moral of this tale........    Don't keep uncovered onions in your fridge for a day or two.:D

22 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Put anything near an uncovered onion and it will stink/taste of it.

Eggs in the fridge, never in my house, i go by if it was in the fridge when you bought it then in the fridge it goes, if not leave it out.

Even here in Kosovo, shop eggs are not kept in a fridge, anywhere.

ETA, dont keep Bananas with any other fruit, it makes other fruit go off quicker.

Edited by Mike Hurley

I am still waiting for somebody to explain how and why storing eggs in the fridge is wrong.   Every web site I have looked at (world wide) says eggs are best stored in their cardboard box broad end up in a steady temperature.  They also say for domestic purposes this is the middle shelf of the fridge not the door.

How is it that virtually every website seems to have got the information wrong because as we know CWDF are always totally correct.

Any explanations.

N.B.   The key word here is domestic a super market isn't domestic.

1 hour ago, Mike Hurley said:

ETA, dont keep Bananas with any other fruit, it makes other fruit go off quicker.

Conversely, do lay some over-ripe bananas around your tomato plants, it helps them to ripen faster. 

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

Moral of this tale........    Don't keep uncovered onions in your fridge for a day or two.:D

My point was about the egg absorbing flavours from other foods. Something which is unlikely to happen outside of a fridge. 

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

How is it that virtually every website seems to have got the information wrong because as we know CWDF are always totally correct.

Probably because the official advice is confusing and they all copy one another. 

Here’s a long discussion with arguments on both sides: https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-26086,00.html

One of the best contributions imho is this: ”one day I was talking to a farmer about it and he said, you should never keep eggs in the fridge, the reason being the humidity of the fridge causes a break down of the shell membrane which allows the bacteria which is found on the outside of almost every egg to penetrate into the egg. Coincidentally, within a matter of days, I watched a documentary on TV on this very subject, a microbiologist ran a series of test - x-raying eggs stored outside and inside the fridge, sure enough, like cracks in marble - the eggs in the fridge broke down with bacteria following the marble like cracks into the core of the eggs.

An incubating chick lives happily for 21 days at temperatures considerably above room temperature without the egg deteriorating. If you use your eggs within a week or two then keep them out of the fridge.