Supermarket deliveries to the towpath?

Featured Posts

Hey all,

Wondered if any continuous cruisers have had any luck getting supermarket deliveries to the towpath? I can get a discount for Ocado through my health insurance so thought I might give it a go. Does anyone use them? (or other supermarkets) Do you just give them a location to deliver to? I've had pizza and other takeout deliveries so can't see it being much different.

Cheers!

We've had deliveries to marinas, I know of others that have towpath deliveries. Find a handy bridge or access point and Google the postcode. If they have a comment field on the order add a note that you are on a boat then just keep an eye out for them at the delivery time. 

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No it doesn't - that puts me on the middle of Hamilton road in a housing estate, but - Letter.weep.curl does position me on the correct place on the River Trent

Plus I suppose if you were actually in "their, car, park," you might just as well get you own groceries rather than have a Tesco delivery.

Pros and cons, when you first sign up you will get free delevery, £20 off first delivery etc, so you can do that with a few different supermarkets,However, in practise, particularly with tesco , their policy appears to me ,in my experience ,to always send you stuff that is about to go out of date. So don't buy anything that you can't use in next couple of days. Don't buy bread, as it will be stale probably, potatoes will be on last legs, eggs and meat two or three days, beer will be fine.i have stopped using them.

3 hours ago, Timx said:

Pros and cons, when you first sign up you will get free delevery, £20 off first delivery etc, so you can do that with a few different supermarkets,However, in practise, particularly with tesco , their policy appears to me ,in my experience ,to always send you stuff that is about to go out of date. So don't buy anything that you can't use in next couple of days. Don't buy bread, as it will be stale probably, potatoes will be on last legs, eggs and meat two or three days, beer will be fine.i have stopped using them.

We are continuous cruisers and do use Tesco’s for canal-side deliveries.  We use postcodes, of the nearest houses, pub addresses, bridge locations, again with postcodes. Always putting a note that we are on the canal, or will meet them in the car park. The delivery drivers have always been very helpful, and polite. I have had problems with quality, or wrong product being picked, but a phone call and the items are credited. One driver told me that it was best to allow substitutes as when they are delivered these items are pointed out first, and they can be rejected. Tesco say in their blurb that the longest shelf life available will be sent, and I have not had any problem with the likes of eggs or bread.

Have only ever used Tesco’s so cannot speak of other supermarket deliveries, but would and do recommend them.

Edited by His Misses
  • Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Timx said:

Don't buy bread, as it will be stale probably, potatoes will be on last legs, eggs and meat two or three days, 

Unfairly harsh I think. Bread usually has a sell by date in the shop of the same day so not sure how they could improve on that for you. Similarly for meat. How many days do you expect it to last? Eggs are an odd one though. Often have a week or so sell by date in the shops but tend to last for months in the fridge.  

Sue on 'No Problem' blog has written a good account on home deliveries with Tesco:

http://noproblem.org.uk/blog/tesco-home-delivery/

I use Tesco delivery 'a lot' with so far 100% success. Sometimes we pop for a day or so into a Marina for a delivery (as well as other services). I always ask the marina when we are making a booking if Tesco delivery is allowed, we've only ever come across one marina that refused, and that was two years ago (we never returned to that marina again).

On Tesco's website, for each branch, they list their 'good points', such as invalid accessibility, wide parking spaces for mums, but nothing about canalside mooring. When we shopped at Rickmansworth, we noticed mooring availability wasn't mentioned. After a phone call with their website person about mentioning mooring facilities on webpages, he thought it a brilliant idea, and that he'd put it forward with his management. Not heard anything since, but I feel supermarkets are missing a trick!

11 hours ago, Timx said:

,However, in practise, particularly with tesco , their policy appears to me ,in my experience ,to always send you stuff that is about to go out of date. So don't buy anything that you can't use in next couple of days. Don't buy bread, as it will be stale probably, potatoes will be on last legs, eggs and meat two or three days, beer will be fine.i have stopped using them.

I have two Tesco deliveries a week - to my house, not on the towpath. I have bread in my Friday delivery, which usually has a use by date of three days ahead. Eggs - at least two weeks, meat three or four days. If anything is very close to it's use by date, they should tell you when the delivery arrives, so you have the option to refuse it and be refunded. Same with substitutions.

As bread's been mentioned... just got to tell about something I've found.

I bought a silicone bag for breadmaking, you just pour all ingredients into the bag, hold the top tight, and start mixing the dough. There's no mess, you kneed the dough quickly because you're not continuously trying to get the sticky mess off your fingers. Plus when it's kneeded the dough is left in the bag to prove. When proved tip the dough out into a loaf tin, wait while it's rises, then bung in the oven.  There's hardly any mess to clear up in the kitchen.

This is one of the best things I've bought, it's so easy, and quick. The bag just needs a rinse when done, and left for a few mins over the tap to drip dry. 

Cost just over a fiver! Will make a great Christmas stocking filler for the 'bread making person' on your boat! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07115MPXS/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07115MPXS

• Greenie 3

7 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

As bread's been mentioned... just got to tell about something I've found.

I bought a silicone bag for breadmaking, you just pour all ingredients into the bag, hold the top tight, and start mixing the dough. There's no mess, you kneed the dough quickly because you're not continuously trying to get the sticky mess off your fingers. Plus when it's kneeded the dough is left in the bag to prove. When proved tip the dough out into a loaf tin, wait while it's rises, then bung in the oven.  There's hardly any mess to clear up in the kitchen.

This is one of the best things I've bought, it's so easy, and quick. The bag just needs a rinse when done, and left for a few mins over the tap to drip dry. 

Cost just over a fiver! Will make a great Christmas stocking filler for the 'bread making person' on your boat! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07115MPXS/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07115MPXS

What an awesome idea. Thanks!!!

I just bought one on ebay, for those of us who are allergic to doing business with Amazon. Pay by PayPal too and get some proper protection instead of the lethal Amazon "One Click".

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soft-Silicone-Reusable-Kneading-Bag-Dough-Making-Flour-Mixer-Maker-Kitchen-Tool/263916463700?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

35 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What an awesome idea. Thanks!!!

I just bought one on ebay, for those of us who are allergic to doing business with Amazon. Pay by PayPal too and get some proper protection instead of the lethal Amazon "One Click".

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soft-Silicone-Reusable-Kneading-Bag-Dough-Making-Flour-Mixer-Maker-Kitchen-Tool/263916463700?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Just a little tip though, I find the clip doesn't work very well, and prefer to bunch the opening together while the liquid soaks into the flour.... obviously it takes seconds 

Wow, ebay's quite a bit cheaper!

Edited by Jennifer McM

Another thing about Tesco deliveries. I've just had my Monday delivery, with three substitutions. I ordered a pack of Tesco Butchers sausages, £1.70 (for a casserole, quality less important), but as they didn't have any, I got 2 packs of Tesco Finest sausages, £4 for 2, for £1.70. I ordered Tesco Original bagels, 5pack for 95p, but the substitution was New York Bakery bagels, 5 pack, £1.60 - I paid the 95p. If I'd gone to the supermarket, I would have had to pay the higher prices. Supermarket deliveries save you money! 

4 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Sue on 'No Problem' blog has written a good account on home deliveries with Tesco:

http://noproblem.org.uk/blog/tesco-home-delivery/

I use Tesco delivery 'a lot' with so far 100% success. Sometimes we pop for a day or so into a Marina for a delivery (as well as other services). I always ask the marina when we are making a booking if Tesco delivery is allowed, we've only ever come across one marina that refused, and that was two years ago (we never returned to that marina again).

On Tesco's website, for each branch, they list their 'good points', such as invalid accessibility, wide parking spaces for mums, but nothing about canalside mooring. When we shopped at Rickmansworth, we noticed mooring availability wasn't mentioned. After a phone call with their website person about mentioning mooring facilities on webpages, he thought it a brilliant idea, and that he'd put it forward with his management. Not heard anything since, but I feel supermarkets are missing a trick!

Seem to remember that a few years ago Tesco's denied all responsibility in a letter for the Rickmansworth mooring when someone claimed against them after slipping on a wet section of it. They changed their minds after trying to remove someone overstaying on the mooring after the boater produced a copy of the letter.

39 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Seem to remember that a few years ago Tesco's denied all responsibility in a letter for the Rickmansworth mooring when someone claimed against them after slipping on a wet section of it. They changed their minds after trying to remove someone overstaying on the mooring after the boater produced a copy of the letter.

What a shame.....

17 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

..., but - Letter.weep.curl does position me on the correct place on the River Trent

No, it places you in the middle of Springfield, West Virginia! :)  

Even more important to ensure it is exactly correct if giving it over the phone!