More GRP Cruiser questions

sniffy the great

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Why so large ?

I am guessing you don't use the 2800litre diesel capacity . My 33ft boat has in total 640 litres diesel tanks which would last me a whole year at river speeds.

To give it range.

It ain't no ordinary river boat!

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Why so large ?

I am guessing you don't use the 2800litre diesel capacity . My 33ft boat has in total 640 litres diesel tanks which would last me a whole year at river speeds.

So large because it was built that way (for non-stop cruising with a 2000 mile safe no-refuel range)

Yes I keep the tanks full - they need topping up after the last months cruising but I'll wait until I find somewhere cheaper than our marina ay £1.18/litre.

Its not good to leave diesel tanks part filled (condensation, diesel-bug etc)

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

So large because it was built that way (for non-stop cruising with a 2000 mile safe no-refuel range)

Yes I keep the tanks full - they need topping up after the last months cruising but I'll wait until I find somewhere cheaper than our marina ay £1.18/litre.

We don't buy into that theory. The largest surfaces on the tank are the top and bottom and unless you keep it absolutely brimmed to the top all of the time one of those surfaces will be exposed.

We don't worry about it and have never had a problem with water in the fuel.

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Interesting but I can’t imagine why anyone would need to go 2000 miles without stopping . What journey was in the mind of the boat builder?

I haven’t added any diesel since July but it was about 91p at that time ….on the 60/40 duty split . 

Kings used to be reasonably priced at one time. Hull always a bit pricey.

In the past Newark was cheaper than Farndon – but recently they are much the same. The Newark Marina pump shows the 100% duty price so you pay a little less when the 60/40 split is calculated. Newark will not sell at 100% domestic rate if the fuel is going into the boat fuel tank.

I also try to keep the fuel  tank as near full as possible over winter but inevitably some is used for heating even if we don’t go out.  My next top up will be for winter use so will be requesting domestic rate at Farndon.

14 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Interesting but I can’t imagine why anyone would need to go 2000 miles without stopping . What journey was in the mind of the boat builder?

I haven’t added any diesel since July but it was about 91p at that time ….on the 60/40 duty split . 

In the past Newark was cheaper than Farndon – but recently they are much the same. The Newark Marina pump shows the 100% duty price so you pay a little less when the 60/40 split is calculated. Newark will not sell at 100% domestic rate if the fuel is going into the boat fuel tank.

I also try to keep the fuel  tank as near full as possible over winter but inevitably some is used for heating even if we don’t go out.  My next top up will be for winter use so will be requesting domestic rate at Farndon.

So you need 2 filling pipes on the same tank, marked domestic and travel. 

44 minutes ago, MartynG said:

In which case Newark won't get our business for fuel.

It is up to the purchaser to declare their split not the seller to dictate it!

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It is up to the purchaser to declare their split not the seller to dictate it!

I agree but it's their choice.

The 60/40 split is more than  fair for the majority of river boaters.

Refusing 100% domestic duty  is not unheard of.

Grimsby  will allow 100% propulsion if you wish. But not less than 60/40.

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Hull gave me 100% domestic at my last fill.

(But I have got a 'card' saying I can)

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

We have had 100% domestic from Grimsby.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Hull gave me 100% domestic at my last fill.

(But I have got a 'card' saying I can)

And we have had 100% domestic from Hull as well.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Have you tried sailing from the Canaries to Antigua?

On our lumpy water sailing yacht, that was one of our options. We only had a 200lt diesel tank which meant only 10Lt per day ration of diesel which meant a max of 4 hrs per day running the engine...hence we had to have wind to sail. A friend bought a steel hulled 40ft sailing yacht that had a 1,000Lt diesel tank, more suited to 'round the world' sailing but the problem then is if you have a lot of wind and dont use the engine, the fuel goes off. I helped him when he picked the boat up in the med when he bought it and was pleased when he was told by the seller the diesel tank was full. Unfortunately within 30 mins out at sea on the trip back to the UK, we found the filters starting to block up. 1000Lts of diesel bug contaminated diesel!

Life on the canals is so much easier.

Edited by Dr Bob

27 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have had 100% domestic from Grimsby.

Surprised about that.  

I guess it depends on who is on duty as I have not been offered a choice.

I wonder how often HMRC have checked the records.

4 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

if you have a lot of wind and don't use the engine, the fuel goes off. 

Diesel doesn't go off like petrol . But you do have  a point about the bug having a potential to be an even bigger issue.

I have two fuel tanks. The flow of fuel can be controlled by valves so only one tank may be  used in an emergency. Chances of bug in both tanks at the same time slightly less - unless inherited from the supply tank.

A motorboat crossing the Atlantic doesnt sound like a good plan. Isn't that more than 2000 miles?

If you have diesel bug in one tank you more than likely have it in the other.

No use having two tanks in that situation. 

When we took NC to Scotland two motor boats turned up in Inverness Marina from the Pharo Isles. That is a decent trip in z motor boat.

14 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

If you have diesel bug in one tank you more than likely have it in the other.

No use having two tanks in that situation. 

When we took NC to Scotland two motor boats turned up in Inverness Marina from the Pharo Isles. That is a decent trip in z motor boat.

That is a pharo way to go.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Diesel doesn't go off like petrol . But you do have  a point about the bug having a potential to be an even bigger issue.

I have two fuel tanks. The flow of fuel can be controlled by valves so only one tank may be  used in an emergency. Chances of bug in both tanks at the same time slightly less - unless inherited from the supply tank.

A motorboat crossing the Atlantic doesnt sound like a good plan. Isn't that more than 2000 miles?

We were working on an average of 5 knots so 24 hours is 120 kmiles. 20 days so just over 2,000 miles. Cant remember the exact distance. I think St Lucia was the first port in the carribean.

My friends boat also had two tanks and both were contaminated.