Which diesel heater??

parasal

Featured Posts

I know this topic has been discussed but humour me if you would...

looking for water system for centrally heating widebeam- been recommended hurricane but they’re about £3,200 and I just don’t have that much to spend right now! So are there any other options?

i could get system fitted apart from boiler and get it when I can afford it( I’m being fitted out over next few months) or go for cheaper boiler? 

Thanks

Sally

If your after a pressure jet system for 24/7 use then look at a Bubble PJ.  Probably about £2k when fitted.

If your only after something for getting the boat up to temperature but not constanently running (so not on a thermostat) then take a look at webasto and eberspacher.  They cheaper at around £1k but you wouldn’t use as a primary source of heating as they don’t like cycling and like to be run hard.

Edited by Robbo

13 minutes ago, parasal said:

Hi Robbo

Im looking to use it to supplement the stove and to get hot water! So  not 24/7

Take a look the cheaper heaters mentioned above, don’t go too large as you want them to run hard so 4-5kw should be enough for a widebeam.

edit although after saying that one of my neighbours rates his Thermo 90ST, which steps down to 1.8kw even tho it’s a 9kw heater.   I’m in the same boat as you so I’m looking at that one too see if it’s more suitable.

Edited by Robbo

I think if I was building my widebeam now I would fit a gas fired balanced flue instantaneous water heater. As it is I have in the bedroom a diesel bubble stove with backboiler which is easy to light and can provide both hot water, hot radiators  and space heating. I have as my primary heat source a solid fuel Rayburn Royal for cooking, hot water and rads. Summertime hot water is by immersion heater powered by excess solar energy

3 hours ago, parasal said:

Hi Robbo

Im looking to use it to supplement the stove and to get hot water! So  not 24/7

Robbo's advice is bang on.  Consider a Webasto or Eberspacher in your case, but make sure you fit the control panel by your bed.  Then, particularly in winter, you can wake up and press the 1 hour button (on the Eber 701 panel - check if there's a Webasto equivalent). When you're feeling brave enough or the chill is off, slip out and wake up the stove, get back in bed with the tea, and by the time the hour runs out you've got a toasty boat, a full tank of water, and the stove is back up to speed. :)

13 hours ago, parasal said:

Ooh I’m liking your style Sea Dog! Sounds cosy!!

I’ve an idea domestic oil boilers are all of the condensing type now so disposal of the condensate may be a problem. Is it ok to discharge it into the cut?

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I’ve an idea domestic oil boilers are all of the condensing type now so disposal of the condensate may be a problem. Is it ok to discharge it into the cut?

I always assumed it was just water.  What else does it have in it? 

The condensate is highly acidic - that's why the drain has to be plastic and (I assume) if a certain type. Seems a daft solution to have designed in the first place, but I suppose politicians can only think of one thing at a time....

The waste gets lost  by dilution in an urban environment  - but mat well wreak horrors on a metal boat's  paintwork... 

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes we know it's acidic (not sure about 'highly' though), but that is not what Mr Biscuits asked.  He asked what is in it to make it corrosive.  

Acid!

Don't seem to be able to post seriously today. Some would say any day.

At a guess, sulphuric acid from the minimal amount of sulphur still allowed in fuel and carbonic acid from the CO2 that will end up dissolved in condensed water from combustion. Lower temperature combustion than a diesel engine, so less chance of acids from oxides of nitrogen.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes we know it's acidic (not sure about 'highly' though), but that is not what Mr Biscuits asked.  He asked what is in it to make it corrosive.  

Nitric acid. No, I don’t know why, I just know what Mr Google reckons.

You can also buy a condensate neutraliser if you wish. There’s a wide range available from about £20 up to £90.